Something I've noticed watching the Olympics

Wow, what's been going on over in this thread? Kool pic Ender. What program/s did you do it in? ie - where did you get those buildings from? And yeh, I know, this post probably doesn't have much to do with the olympics either... Anyone know who won the 1500 metres freestyle? (has it been on yet?)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the whole "something I noticed..." how about this observation almost every medal table you will see anywhere is listed by gold medal tally not the total, I have never seen a total count tally before today. Where did I see it? on CNNSI - an American website no less and why would they list it by total? because USA is leading the total BUT China is leading the gold count (22 to 21)and we couldnt possibly have China at the top that would a travesty..... :rolleyes:

Insecurity perhaps creeping into the American psyche?

I wonder if the Hamm and the US team will do the honourable thing and hand back the Gymnastic gold medal? which was won falsely. (the judges miscalculated the Korean chaps score and cost him the gold medal)

Is there any Sportsmanship left in the world.... I wonder......

That was a great little read. Thanks for the entertainment. Welcome back Danz. How is life treating you? Are you in washington now? I might be making a march trip to Kirkwood. You should come on down. Matt might be renting a condo for a month with some friends.

As for Americans. In Japan my best friends have been American. Almost all of the best skiers I have skiid with in Japan have been American skiers. I hate it when people lop politics and people together. I'm a proud Canadian as many SJ people know which puts me in as jokingly anti American but I am also proud to be friends with great American skiers. Keep skiing and keep your stick on the ice.

On today's news there were a couple of items that were interesting in a disgraceful sort of way.

The American shot putter put one of his feet outside the circle and when he was disqualified, started screaming "No! NO!" at the judges, and pointing at the circle like a man possessed. Frankly I though he need macing. The filmed replay naturally showed his foot squarely outside the circle. Placed in the context of loud complaints about the athletes of other countries cheating, this really seems to merit a touch of pepper spray.

Then there was that shameful idiot, the female wrestler Hamaguchi's father, putting on a show at the practice with his bevvy of slaves with video cameras recording every retarded utterance. Apparently his performance was extreme enough to distract the other atheletes. MACE him too.

It seems that the 'better' these athletes get, and the more 'certain' to win medals, the less sporting they actually become...

I'd like the media in their respective countries to award or deduct points for sportsmanship instead of hooting, crowing, crooning, frothing, yahooing, moaning, yearning, and screaming for medals.

Hamaguchi's father----

His idiot move was when he tired to get onto the floor and had to be pushed and pulled back. I think he distracted his daughter who too be honest acts very sportingly.

Watched a European hammer thrower do the same foot happening foul as your shot putter except, he was no where near fouling after they showed replays.

A lot of big guys ocean american or not dont know how to take a no.

Anyone else notice the boorish unsportsman behaviour of the host nation - did someone not tell these clowns about the Olympic spirit?

Booring and Jeering the mens 200m and doing the same everytime Italy got the ball in the Water Polo final (Greece v Italy).

Yay for Greece :rolleyes: second and last time EVER these idiots get the Olympic games

Off topic a bit, but when theres some events in Japan have you noticed the reaction to the "other team" getting a point (when they play Japan). Its not booing or boorish behavior. It's complete silence. Strange.

Kamo, pinhead, check another websight for a medal tally (let's say, oh, the BBC for example). It might be strikingly similiar to CNNSI's. wakaranai.gif oh, and who was winning that gold medal count???

yeah the problem with professional or amateur sports at the top level is they are trained to be ruthless. If that means sportsmanship goes out the window in exchange for be the best in the world then so be it. Ive had several discussions with my students about the little table tennis player Ai chan and her lack of sportsman like qualities and they were suprised. I guess its the norm these days....mores the pity. Farewell the Olympic Spirit \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Kamo, pinhead, check another websight for a medal tally (let's say, oh, the BBC for example). It might be strikingly similiar to CNNSI's. wakaranai.gif oh, and who was winning that gold medal count???
Calm down Golden Boy, yes America is winning they always do, but they were not when I initially posted.
I did check BBC and they list by gold tally not by total so its not the same as CNN!
NZ Herald ditto Gold tally, the Athens official site you mentioned and linked to also listed by Gold tally!
A German site again by Gold.
Le Monde by Gold tally too.
The SMH site of the 'pound for pound' greatest sporting nation alive (admitted much to my chagrin) Australia also lists by gold tally!
It seems the whole rest of the world lists by Gold tally, which is where I angling from

But I will concede that all the American sites I visited listed by total, not just CNN.
Its just I have never seen an Medal table in an American publication probably for the reason I rarely choose to get my news from such places, there are much better sources for news. Therefore I have never noticed a total tally table before.
It was naive of me to expect the American publications and websites would follow international standard. It makes my initial statements of insecurity irrelevant. I will retract those statements.

Though I am currently receiving a week of free subscription of the "International Herald Tribune" , I had to have a laugh, distances for athletics were listed in feet, how quaint 23feet 2 1/2 inches! Their medal table adjusted for the 'International' aspect and is by Gold.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stag:
I'm not having a go I'm just trying to understand.

Could you explain why you feel so strongly about a flag that you would actually assult someone over it?
I had a fairly unusual upbringing but I don't feel anything for flags,national anthems etc. they are just words/songs/pieces of materiel to me.
Thats why I would never bother burning one if I wanted to protest something and I would never care if someone else did.
Obviously you are not alone as enough people care to make it against the law.
Why do you care? What do you feel someone is doing if they burn a flag?
Ya, my bad, when I write about things that upset me, they tend to get less and less relevant to anything as the paragraphs go on. lol.gif

No, I wouldn't assault anyone, I was just pissed off at the time of writing.

But to answer your question, I know it's just a piece of material but it symbolizes a country, and then to have somebody living in that particular country burn the symbol of THAT country (the flag) therefore symbolizing their hate of the country that is currently supporting their freedoms... i lost my train of thought... confused.gif just chalk it up to me being pissed off at the time, I have no idea where it came from

CHEERS!