I voted yes but my actual vote would be yes to restaurants but not to pubs. I can't stand eating in a smoke filled room. It's disgusting. But I realize drinking and smoking go hand in hand and I would't ask a smoker give up that luxury. Besides, banning smoking in pubs would be detrimental to pub owners but not so to restaurant owners.

In Japan it's technically banned in a handful of places but not enforced.

I voted no for the same reason that you voted yes. I like to smoke a cigar in my favourite bar where all the staff and most customers smoke too.

Some dumb bastard was in there the other day with what appeared to be a new-born baby. I gave him a good hard stare as I lit up my stogey, and he soon went.

As a non smoker I voted yes, but mainly for the restaurants rather than pubs. Around food I totally agree with but as far as pubs and bars go, thats usually where people go to have a drink and a smoke. I don't really like coming home stinking but its one of the only places that I can put up with it.

My hometown of Adelaide introduced no smoking in all places where food is served a few years back. And apparently by 2007 ( this will be Australia wide) they are going to make it for pubs, clubs & bars too!

Yes, more for restaurants than bars. I really hate it when people are smoking in a restaurant and the flimsy so-called no smoking areas in most Japanese restaurants are a complete joke.

As a non smoker I too voted no, but again mainly for restaurants and places serving food. As for bars...I guess it can be tolerated but I think bar owners should provide more ventilation to suck up all the smoke and make it more tolerable.

actually very soon NZ is going to introduce a total smoking ban for restaurants and bars. dunno how thats going to work but many bar owners I know are fuming about it. the bars with outdoor areas are laughing however.

Good job Weegeoff you are the only one calling a spade a spade and being honest and forthright (other than O11 - but hes on the other team and hes giving up soon anyway according to his other thread). A lot of delicate tiptoeing and feeble token gestures pandering to the smokers going on in this thread. Doesnt anyone stand up for their convictions anymore?

Quote:
I realize drinking and smoking go hand in hand and I would't ask a smoker give up that luxury
Drinking and driving go hand in hand, no matter how much education, campaigning and associated ignominy, there are dickheads - thousands of them right now doing it.

Drinking and wife bashing go hand in hand too.....

Drinking alcohol doesnt give anyone the right to take liberties with the health and safety of others whether it through unsafe driving, violence or smoking.

Quote:
Maybe restaurants but even then i don`t see what`s wrong with a little smoke in a well ventilated area.
Well ventilated? there is no such thing its a "smoke screen" argument from pro smoking lobbies, I have yet to read about a truly effective ventiliation system.

A little smoke? a little? come on.

A well ventiliated area? Yes its called "Outside"

Quote:
I don't really like coming home stinking but its one of the only places that I can put up with it.
yeah well I f#^%ing hate it, I occasionally put up with it, to stop myself from being a total social reject, the high price you pay to have social relationships in this world.

I will absolutely go out to bars more when a total ban comes in place.

Do Bar owners ever think of that? Am I alone in this philosophy?

Quote:
I guess it can be tolerated but I think bar owners should provide more ventilation to suck up all the smoke and make it more tolerable.
You guess? come on Maoriboy either you are cool or not, dont sit on the fence.

Good ventilation is very expensive and has proven to be ineffective.

Flame me at will, I am just being honest here.

Smoking is such an enigma and a divisive controversial topic, its so prevalent and embedded into the fabric of society (pun not intended).

The tide is turning though.

I don't understand this urge to ban things that you don't like when there are alternatives to banning. It's precisely because people are not 'honest and forthright' directly that everybody's freedom is taken away with bans.

Smoking is obviously harmful, and I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke on my clothes either. But I like the freedom to go to my favourite bar and indulge. I don't have to go there if I don't like it in some way.

If I go to a shop or restaurant that is playing music that annoys me, I tell them "I like your shop, but I don't like your music. Please turn it off/down or change it." If they don't comply, I'll leave and not go back. People I'm with get horribly embarrassed and uptight, but how else is the offending party supposed to know if you don't tell them? Lots of money is spent on market research to find out what customers think and want - why not just say what you think directly?

So if you think the smoking section is too small, or is not sufficiently separated off, call out the manager and tell them. That way they can make an intelligent decision about what to do. But don't call for a ban on somebody else's pleasure because you're too timid to speak up for yourself. There are ways round the problem.

Now if it's banning SUVs, why not? There's no other solution to that problem.

I hate smoking. Never smoked a cigarette in my life clap.gif clap.gif

And who says smoking goes hand in hand. That's bullshit mad.gif

I can drink with the best of them. I don't need to have a freakin smoke in my mouth. It's gross, unhealthy and should be banned in all places where people meet to socialize.

noble sentiments but totally impractical O11. Most bars are a haze of smoke occupying the entire airspace, unless there are separate rooms which are sealed, there is no chance of containing the residue of smokers, there goes a solution, sealed rooms like at airports, have corner sealed off with floor to ceiling glass if a complete ban is OTT.

You would need massve extraction fans that would be ridicously expensive and economically unviable to have one open space.

Restaurants with smoking and non smoking sections side by side are ridiculous, pointing this out to management will have as much effect as telling the Bush Admininstation about their shortfalls.

I am not too timid to speak up, but I am not a big enough wanker to stand up in crowded bar and ask everyone to kindly refrain from smoking.

Most smokers are arrogant in their pursuit of expressing their freedom to smoke and will only take heed once the really have too.

Actually, there are a lot of quite considerate smokers around. You just don't notice them because they're considerate.

And nearly all of my successful initiatives in life have been called impractical. I don't see any insuperable obstacles to avoiding an outright ban.

I think you`re looking at it the wrong way round. In Japan smoking seems to be completely acceptable and even expected. Until that starts to change no-smoking in bars and restaurants will just put the bars that choose to do it out of business. As soon as it makes economical sense to do so i`m sure no-smoking pubs and restaurants will spread like wildfire.

Where i lived in England it used to be the case that the smoking areas were ridiculous and the only difference between them and the no-smoking areas were the amount of burns on the carpet. Now in many places it works - though i guess in general pubs/restaurants tend to be bigger than in Japan.

I don`t like the idea of banning smoking in pubs. It`s an area specifically for adults to relax and enjoy themselves in. There are enough about to cater to the needs of most people.

JAPAN, Takamatsu city - 2004, October 22, 5:30pm.

Took the kid to swimming lesson - usually my wife does it coz I'm working.

100's of kids and mums (That was the best part) milling around in the reception, waiting, lobby area and 2 women were spread on one of the sofas blowing schit smoke over all and sundry.

At first I thought why don't the staff ask them to move outside when I spied the farkin ubiquitous ash tray in front of them.

SHOCK, SPEW! Smoking is allowed.

BACK, BACK, BACKWARD.

Have dutifully written - with my wife - a letter of protest.Can only imagine it will fall on deaf ears.

Since when did all those kids choose to smoke.

This place is a farkin time-warp at times. mad.gif

quote by me: I don't really like coming home stinking but its one of the only places that I can put up with it.

quote by Snowglider

yeah well I f#^%ing hate it, I occasionally put up with it, to stop myself from being a total social reject, the high price you pay to have social relationships in this world.

I will absolutely go out to bars more when a total ban comes in place.

Do Bar owners ever think of that? Am I alone in this philosophy?

Listen mate, I hate smoking just as much as you by the sounds of it. I don't like the smell in my hair & clothes, the smoke in my face etc etc. But it just doesn't seem to bother me too much in clubs, unless someone is blowing the shit in my face.

I have been to plenty of underage gigs clubs where smoking wasn't allowed as well as drinking( skull as much as you can before U go in) and I gotta say that all that smoke from the machines that b ellow out smoke on the stage leave your clothes smelling pretty bad too.

I ain't sitting on any fence here, just I am not a phased about smoke in bars as much as I am in other places.

likie Onsens, after everyone has had a bath they all go and smoke out a room which totally makes you needing another bath! Sports centres, after we have karate events everyone is smoking in the lobby of sports centres??? wakaranai.gif

Quote:
But it just doesn't seem to bother me too much in clubs
I kinda feel the same way, it doesn't bother me in places like that. It really does in restaurants though and places that are really popular with the young crowd are sometimes really really bad. I don't know how even smokers can enjoy their food in that environment.