When I was in Switzerland I was subjected to the T-bar pain each day. There was one day that I rode a T-bar for almost the entire days riding. I was getting perfect storm weather powder runs, almost entirely on my own. It was a great day, the best I have had. But by the end of it I was ruined from doing T-bar laps. The benefit of them is you can ride the hard drag trail to build up speed on the flats then shoot off the side into the deep again when you reach another steep section. This is a no-no but it only pisses the skiers off so it is of course well worth doing.

They are not the most comfortable things I can think of. I remember one T-bar lift that was really steep with an icy track and it took about 15 minutes to get to the top. They have one advantage though: you can get off, whenever you want (it's of course not allowed). Try that on a chair lift.

I reckon mate. Craigeburn, Temple Basin and Broken River, rope tows sort the men out from the girls, T-bars and pommas are nothing compared to these, and NO groomers, that has to ROCK. Only freshies for the people that can handle it. You think T-bars hurt after a day! Pussys, come skiing Kiwis stlye, Well show you PAIN, and the only fersh tracks 3 days after a storm!!! I know a guy who had his hand crushed in a guide wheel of a rope tow, lost his hand and is still riding them, tell me thats not being hard assed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dear Britain:

Are there any T-bars in America? What about the good old Poma?
Oh we have some of the best

Best T-bar that I have been on is on the Blackcomb Glacier going up to the top of 7-Heaven. Last bit is near vertical. In summer I bet it is a cliff face.

Best Pomma is at BigWhite going out of the Cliff area. Also very very steep. Not sure if it's still there or maybe it's a chairlift now?????
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:

Are there any T-bars in America?
Oh we have some of the best

Best T-bar that I have been on is on the Blackcomb Glacier

Best Pomma is at BigWhite
uuuum, I cant believe that you are Canadian. How could you do such a thing? ;\)

Anyway, I agree, it is freaky the way some of these surface lifts attempt to haul you up almost vertical stretches.

Another beauty of the t-bar is that you can join a solo buddy half way down the run and go back up with him, thus avoiding the boring end of the run as well as the lift line.
 Quote:
Are there any T-bars in America? What about the good old Poma?
THe top tow at breckinridge is a T bar, nasty one.
The area gets really high winds so T bar is the only option as they can run in high winds when chair would shut down.