Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
I can hardly get myself to eat these things. Well on the 2 occassions I've had the chance. Am I missing out on something or are they just over-rated slime? ;\)
If you come to Oz, just try the Northern NSW oysters, preferably straight from the oyster farms or better still, off the rocks ... mmmm, absolutely beaut! (Best ones in the world).

(Oysters in a restaurant or fish shop - forget it, they're usually stale.) " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />
 Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Sexy:
And supposed to be how you say, afrodizz.. (spell!?)
Aphrodisiac - oysters supposedly increase sexual potential ... doubt it. But, it's a good marketing ploy - sex sells! lol.gif

Fried in Butter at my local Izakaiya here!!!!! Can`t be beaten!

As for aphrodisiac, I find that they work a treat getting the ladies in the back to your pad and in the mood........accompanied by a few bottles of wine, atsukan and some beers that is!!!! lol.gif

Definitely NOT "overated slime". Nama oysters are amongst the best the sea has to offer. Crack open a shell, throw in a splash of shoyu,lemon and tabasco and voila - A party in your mouth!

Oysters lose their seafood essense when fried but to grill them on an open fire fresh out of the sea water isn't bad if you have an aversion to things raw.

If you're ever in New york City let me reccomend an oyster bar you can't miss smack in the middle of Grand Central Station. You can order single oyster shots from most anywhere in the world. I particularly liked the New Zealand mini oysters.

Cheers keep it coming, this is good info. I'm not the biggest seafood (or raw fish) fan generally and so that might be one of the reasons I have not been keen. The other reason being I may have had some rubbish ones.

I'm very open to discovering good oysters though seeing as so many people do rave about them.

\:\)

Gotta agree with Indo there.

If you really want to taste the plumpest, most sumptious oysters in OZ, then Sydney Rock & likewise don't scratch it against the west coast of SA (Coffins, Streaky, Smoky Bay etc. Pristine environment + perfect conditions = excellence.

All the best restaurants bust their guts to get a handle on them.

IMHO \:\)

Quote:
If you come to Oz, just try the Northern NSW oysters, preferably straight from the oyster farms or better still, off the rocks ... mmmm, absolutely beaut! (Best ones in the world).
[/QB]
Whaaaat!! No way, best in the world???

Sorry mate, but I have to strongly disagree. Northern NSW rock oysters are about the worst that I have ever had, anywhere. I love oysters and eat them everywhere I go, so I have had a few in my time. The best oysters in Australia are Pacific oysters, preferably from Tasmania. Nearly all northern Australian oysters are rubbish, but not nearly as rubbish as the ones available in London (home to the lowest quality and most over priced food on Earth).

The best oysters I have ever eaten around the world have been in Japan, served with a daikon+chilli style of sashimi dipping sauce. They are exceptional, however not everyone likes them due to the size.

I hear that the Pacific NW of America also has some amazing oysters. I have not had any of them but one day I will. NZ also have great oysters.

I had some great ones from Hiroshima. They were huge. I was a bit worried about eating them raw so I splashed them with sudachi ponzu and grilled them on top of my gas cooker. They were really lovely.

Forty hours later I started puking my guts up. Possibly the worst food poisoning I've ever had.

Never had them since.

Yeh Wiggly - same happened to me. Love(d) oysters and had eaten them for as long as I could remember. Raw, grilled, wok-fried, poached......... until that disastrous day that stole one of my true pleasures away.

Crook as a dog for a week. Definitely knock, knock, knocking on Heavens Door stuff.

Sad to say, But can't even look sideways at 'em now - tho' I'm tempted.

Oysters are generally little harbourers of nasties - the recent Noro-virus spread being no exception.

Never give em to kids and oldies eat em at your own risk.

Same here, I had bad remembrance with oyster. Not that seriously bad though. Just slightly bad.

So, now I am okay with raw fish, but not okay with raw shellfish.

Usually any shellfish could be really strongly poisonous sometimes. So maybe it's better for you to try some, scoucer. But as snobee says, it's on your risk.

As to oyster sauce, my favorite receipt is to grill some ground meat with some chopped onions, chopped baby bamboo ( takenoko ) and chopped carrot. Add some salt and black pepper and oyster sauce. Fry some starch noodles (harusame) then wrap all of them with a piece of lettuce, yum!

cool.gif

Sno bee, Got a good contact over in Streaky and on one occasion they turned up to a party of ours withb 30 dozen!!!!

We did our best but we had to put about 10 doz in the freezer!

I personally wouldn't touch Hiroshima's oysters ( or most of Japans) with a 10 foot pole (raw). A few years back they were almost all spoiled due to massive lead levels in the water and I really don't trust that the high lead levels would have just miraculously disappeared!

To cook an oyster is a waste! the only time that I would do it is when its a little past it's prime freshness.

Quote:
Originally posted by 34 guest(s):
Whaaaat!! No way, best in the world???
Pacific oysters are originally from Japan and are now considered a noxious shellfish in Oz because of their fast growth cycle - they also have a high water content.

I didn't factor Tassie or Sth Oz into that - their Oysters are damn good too. (As are Tassie scallops - mmmmmm!!)

If you've never gone oystering off rocks, then you haven't really had an oyster - same goes for mussels, or prawns straight out of a net.

Large populations + shellfish 'leases' = food poisoning. (Bad news)

I agree that the best place to eat Oysters is off the rock, or from a town right next to a farm (I mainly do the latter of those). Raw with a dash of lemon juice is the best way to experience the taste IMO.

I've tried Oysters in:

Tasmania (Freycinet & Strahan) - Damn good

Areas of the SE Coast NSW (Sapphire Coast: Tathra, Merimbula, & Eden) - Nice & cheap, good tasting.

Sydney's famous Rock Oysters from around that area of NSW - Don't see what the hype is about - pretty average

Port Maquarie NSW - crap

North Stradbroke Island QLD (Moreton Bay) - crap

And when I was in Japan I tried them at Hiroshima/Miyajima (biggest I've ever seen/eaten) - looked fresh, felt dry, tasted OK.

... but by far the best tasting, clean, fresh oysters I've ever had are from a practically unheard of place near Nowra NSW (2.5 hrs Sth of Sydney) called Greenwell Point. As you enter the twon, there's a little place on the side of the road that mainly caters for restaurants etc, but they have a little caravan to sell them to the public. They even use local lemons for the wedges. Simply the best I've ever eaten, and everyone I've sent there has agreed so far.

Quote:
Originally posted by 34 guest(s):
Suddenly subzero busts out his shellfish expertise. This was just a trap, an opportunity to show off ;\)
lol.gif A 'fishy' trap? lol.gif