Non-Teachers...do you work?

Those of you who are not English teachers and have fulltime jobs in engineering, advertising, journalism, etc. in Japan.

Do you actually work at work? I spend 7.9 hrs of my 8 everyday finding things to fill my time, i.e., read forums and the news. I think it is more tiring that actually working sometimes.

I work and bloody hard, long hours. Starting to wonder how the Japanese do it ...

What is your job Furm? I also wonder what all those non-English teachers do out there in the gaijin-community. Let us know!

run a tiny web dev shop w/a partner. before that, taught English, did time at a stock brokerage, and then on to a small multimedia firm.

if you have the skills, inclination and energy, I think working freelance or starting your own business is the way to go. more stress in somes ways (eg finding and keeping clients), more fun in others (hitting the snow during the weekdays)

woywoy, what do you do?

I spent a year working at a restaurant, got treated like a slave with minimum wage (hey that rhymes). I worked as a chef in Australia for 13 years, so obviously this was a bit frustrating so I bailed to teach! Around here it pays more for less hours! wakaranai.gif

I'm not sure I am qualified to post some here coz I'm a Japanese.

Well, I worked for a bank for 4+ years after graduating from a university. That was almost 7-11 world which means I worked from 7 a.m through 11 p.m. mad.gif Too much stress to do everything to get new customers, new accounts, new loans etc every month which we called 'Norma' that is originally from Russian, I heard.

I wondered if that was my permanent job or not because what for I had to work that hard everyday catching the last train to back home only for sleeping there for 4 hours not getting paid for extra hours. My conclusion was to retire from the bank because life is only once and I thought I should not investigate my time for it. :rolleyes:

That was in 1988 when economy in Japan was still raising up so no one around me said any good to me about retiring from a bank but my family members. Everyone said I was guaranteed to get paid if I kept working for a bank coz everyone seemed to believe that banks would never get bankrupted. \:o

My interest was not there, was about my life and

actually banks got bankrupted in the past early 1900s if I remember right. I thought history repeats itself so I didn't mind to retire from the bank. And actually the bank I worked for got bankrupted some years ago, so my choice was maybe right lol...

After 1 year I started my business and have been doing until now which is also stressful sometimes like Montoya says but fun in some meanings.

What you would like to do doesn't always match what people need. So you always need to research what people need to success in your business field which I am not good at lol....., help!

I think I am what we call 'sukui you ga nai'

- 'no method to rescue/help ' if I dare translate as is?

Probably you could say you can use your time freely when you have your own business, but reality always goes severe. Sometimes you have to work like a slave to satisfy your customers but if you LOVE your job, it doesn't matter I can say \:\)

About money part, some go good, some don't I guess. Don't ask which I am!! lol.gif

What type of WebDev do you do Montoya? I am curious after visiting there as to how much work there is in this area (IT, mainly Web based software development), since most people's internet service resides in their phones.

Gamera, good move leaving the 7 - 11 job, those are just insane hours .... that's 57% of your week spent at work (assuming it's 6 days) ... and you have to fit sleep into that 43%!!

yeh, good on you Gamera for going against the grain. Especially in "family company oriented" Japan clap.gif

If you're going to work your butt off you may as well do it doing something that has more meaning for you.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that long hours & stress are not actually worth it!

Stress KILLS, no doubt about it. Gamera your right, I am sure you are way happier now even though running your own business is difficult at times. For me life comes first- you only get one (maybe)!! ;\)

Voidhawk - yeah, good move leaving but I never thought about 57% part. Actually I felt it almost nearly 100% of my time were spent for that riciculous work.

Sunrise - sorry but I don't understand that 'your butt off' part. Any other way of saying?

Sakebomb - Cheers! Tossing an oyaji beer glass at you! LOL

\:D clap.gif

Quote:
work your butt off... work as hard as you can
Funny ... the only thing I can think of that literally involves removing a mass of flesh from your butt is from those Japanese extreme games where a bunch of dudes would get dragged by tractor over a rocky ground along their exposed butts. I remember first being exposed to that sorta thing in the 80's on one of those "Wacky things the Japanese do" type TV shows.

Montoya, any complaints of working with a partner? I'm in the beginning stage of starting up a business with a partner and it worries me a bit. Anything good or bad to say about partnerships??

thanks

it has worked out really well for us, probably cuz she is my wife.

that said, I know of other people with not so happy stories. One guy got ripped for $20k a few years back. if you can, try to set up your partnership to limit your risk/downside.

I import and sometimes export lumber. Japan doesn't tax imported lumber. Beware, however, they have huge taxes on coffee.

The partnership I'm working on will be a restaurant. Legally we're trying to have it set up as a limited liability corporation (LLC).