1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

big news in the USA - the biggest moral crusader of them all has lept in now with an emergency session of congress that finished on the early hours of Sunday morning to push a new bill through - talk about scoring political brownie points with his core base of supporters.

Anyway what do you think about the whole affair?.

You know what I cant get over is for the past 48 hours Ive been back in the States (Atlanta, Ga.)its nothing but fear in the media. Fear about terrorism, drugs, gays, war, bla bla bla. Americans have gotten dummer, if thats even possible... The media has everybody so scared about the world they live in - and Bush and Co. are the saviors. Makes me wanna puke :rolleyes: eek.gif

Bush & Co are more scarier than gay terrorists on drugs. I heard an interesting interview with Moby talking about America and how people are happy to be ignorant and live in fear which is created by their own goverment , scary!

I don't think many Americans are living in fear b.c of ignorance....quite the opposite really. For those Americans that do live in fear (which I believe to be a VERY small number), the fear is probably the result of knowledge. Knowledge of the unpredictability of the world including things like the Japanese maintaining private leprosy colonies. I think the majority of Americans are more "aware" than they ever have been, which is good, but I don't think it's fear. Fear and ignorance are what North Koreans feel....and that is SCARY!!

Quote:
Bush and Co. are the saviors
What, so you're saying they aren't?! Your shattering the very foundation of my beliefs there!

Aware of some things that we are told, not of many things we are not. If that makes sense. (Got a bit of a hangover today)

So 78% of this forum (so far) are saying go ahead and kill her. Don't let her eat and drink. Geez eek.gif

She's not on life support. She's simply staying alive the way each of us do..by eating and drinking. She just can't do it on her own.

Pretty ironic situation.

This woman suffered from various eating disorders throughout her life. I believe it was an eating disorder that weakened her and caused her to fall 15+ years ago. That fall put her in her current vegetative state.

Now, because of her parents' religious beliefs and selfishness, this woman has began starving to death 3 times, that we know of, only to have that tube reinserted.

That is weird!!

Now its only 77% of people that are saying go ahead and respect her wishes.

and for the permanant record, if I become a vegi, let me go. (and or fill me full of pot twice daily just incase I am alive in there.)

The problem is that her husband wants her off lifesupport; although he now has a new GF and kids with her. He just hasnt gotten the final divorce.

IMO, he has no right to take her off life-support. He no longer loves her nor wants to be with her. Her family now has the choice, not the cheating husband.

the cheating husband

please, she's been in a vegetative state for 15 years. come on. the fact that he's moved on with his life has absolutely no bearing. if you loved your partner would you want them to stop living just because your life for all intents and purpose has stopped.

secondly, the courts agreed that his decision was in line with her wishes.

i think i'm going to write my living will now. so the courts need not be involved and my death can't be made into a circus if such a fate should befall me.

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
the cheating husband

please, she's been in a vegetative state for 15 years. come on. the fact that he's moved on with his life has absolutely no bearing. if you loved your partner would you want them to stop living just because your life for all intents and purpose has stopped.

secondly, the courts agreed that his decision was in line with her wishes.
Whatever. He has been with another woman for x years and has 2 kids. He has lost the right to have any say about whether she lives or dies.

bullshit, he made the decision more than 11 years ago and the only reason this has gone on is because of litigation by her parents and intervention by the the governor, and now possibly congress.

*edit* 11 years not 13, sorry.

so, her parents have NO say in this matter? Thats where I disagree with you. I dont/didnt know that she said she wanted to die, if thats true. If thats the case then my opinion would be different. But, I still think that he has lost the right to have any say over whether she lives or dies mate bc hes with another women and has 2 kids.

ok, just read a few articles about the case. Not one of the articles gives proof that she wanted to die if she was in this state but stated that apparently it was her wish. If thats the case then let her die. God knows I wouldnt wanna be in that situation either.

I certainly dont think Congress has the right to intervene either.

I still think that he has lost the right to have any say over whether she lives or dies mate bc hes with another women and has 2 kids

that's ludicrous, he made the decision well before he started living with another woman. furthermore he could've gotten a divorce at any time, yet did not so that he could (remain guardian) and fulfill what he believes were her wishes.

here's a quote from a court ordered report on the case:

"By 1994, Michael's attitude and perspective about Theresa's condition changed. During the previous four years, he had insistently held to the premise that Theresa could recover and the evidence is incontrovertible that he gave his heart and soul to her treatment and care. This was in the face on consistent medcal reports indicating that there was little or no likelihood for her improvement"

I hear what youre saying and agree with you. First I would never wanna be in that state. My parents know that, although I dont have a "will" Basically bc I dont have anything of value!! lol.gif

He has moved on and has/wants a new life, quite rightly too. Which is why all I think is that he shouldnt have the right to be her legal guardian anymore and that the parents should reclaim that.

Does the husband's legal guardianship have anything to do with this case?

I think regardless of who the legal "guardian" is, the evidence presented in court proved that SHE would rather die than be fed through a tube.

Assuming this is true, her parents are nothing more than selfish bible thumpers. I commend her husband for standing up for what he is confident she would want.

the legal guardianship, means that he can decide to have the tube removed, the parents have been challenging his guardianship repeatedly in order to prevent that.

the courts have reapeatedly ruled that they have no reason to remove him as guardian. they have ruled that there is enough evidence to believe that would be her wish as well.

the parents have stated in court that they would keep her alive regardless of her wishes and at all cost.

For those that would keep her alive, if the technology existed to keep her the way she is now for the next 300 years, should they do it?

What aboout 100 years? 50? should they have even done 15?