1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Interesting article in the paper today about Starvation.

Many people think its agony and Terri's supporters would have you believe it too, but they reckon its a natural painless way to die

I found the article online too.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/news/nation/11218727.htm

"Instead of feeling pain, the patient experienced the characteristic sense of euphoria that accompanies a complete lack of food and water."

"Schiavo has been in a persistent vegetative state for 15 years that makes it impossible for her brain to recognize pain, doctors say.

Her reflexes with respect to thirst or hunger are as broken as her ability to think thoughts or dream dreams or do anything a normal, healthy brain does,”

"But even if her brain were functioning normally and she were aware of her condition, she would be comfortable, doctors say."

"Contrary to the visceral fears of humans, death by starvation is the norm in nature – and the body is prepared for it"

“The cessation of eating and drinking is the dominant way that mammals die, it is a very gentle way that nature has provided for animals to leave this life.”

"After 24 hours without any food, “the body goes into a different mode, and you're not hungry anymore,” he said. “Total starvation is not painful or uncomfortable at all."

I think the key thing here folks is make a living will, Terry Schiavo died 15 years ago and a ghost/shell is left behind, apparently her cerebrum is "mush" as one doctor said and the video you see of her responding to her name is deceptive, what you didnt see was the hundred of previous attempts to get her attention but only the coincidental one time she moved.

brain_headBorder.jpg

The cerebrum (the bulk of the brain with the different lobes is basically not functioning) the cerebullum, the smallish part at the base which controls body movement is not really working - its not getting any real signals from the cerebrum and the only thing that works for Terri is the brain stem, the most rudimentary basic systems - includes the pons which controls breathing, heartbeat, blood pressure and eye movement - hence she would appear to be aware - her eyes are moving.

The lights are on, but noone is truly home.

Bloody sad and tragic whatever happens.

I know me and Sockmonkey were goin off about this but since Ive been home you can barely find anything else in the news except about Terry Schiavo.

While this is a tragic case its not like this is the first time ever this has happened and it has probably happened thousands of times before behind closed doors. I hate seeing the media bandwagon jumping on this and especially when they act like theres nothing else worthy of reporting.

Deep down Im sure the husband is doing the right thing by granting her wish of pulling the tube but with all the alligations against him over a decade ago(or however long ago it was) that he mistreated her I guess only the autopsy will vidicate him.

Since its now been 14 days without food and water Im sure it wont be long now before she "expires" as Fox News states.

But, does a person have an expiration date? wakaranai.gif " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

i agree with yama. i think its sick and twisted that this is all over the news like this is, well over here anyway. it makes me sick to my stomache that the news is glorifying her slow death (no matter how "unpainful" it is.)

the advertisement for the larry king about it is effing disgusting. something like "how long will she survive without food and water?"