Hi

I am thinking of moving to Japan to live and work for a while, so I'm looking for a really funky/art-y/music-y town to live but must be near the mountains. I'm hoping someone can suggest somewhere where you can still find work, but maybe not as enormous as tokyo. Student towns are often the best, as they generally have a lot of art and music going on.

Obviously the main thing is to be close enough to a good resort to go every weekend or any days off during the winter etc, and maybe summer biking etc during the summer. I know - I'm asking a lot!

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Bruce (Brighton, UK - great city, no mountains)

arty funky muziq-y??? probably not the right country.

But, I lived in niigata city for about 2 years and loved it. but that was more outdoorzy - snowy - beachy if you catch my drifty.

plenty of work around and under an hour to some fields.

a couple of nite clubs and jazz bars. 2 universities i think. bombfires and beer in summer, blizzards and boarding in winter.

enjoy your stay! \:D

Sapporo.

Some people seem to like Tokyo but it seems like they spend half their lives on crowded subway trains. It's a surreal sea of concrete. Nagoya is like Tokyo if you take away the 'culture'. (sorry to bash your cities, folks)

Nagano comes to mind. I was only there once, right after New Years. It sucked, but that's probably because the whole country sucks for four days after New Year if you're not skiing.

Sapporo's easily one of the coolest cities in Japan.

But it can get COOOOOOOOOOLLLLLDD up there. At least in Tokyo, Nagoya, etc - it doesn't get so fridged. I suppose the good thing is, if you cut yourself accidently, you don't bleed - it's too cold, the blood freezes on contact with the air.

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
But it can get COOOOOOOOOOLLLLLDD up there. At least in Tokyo, Nagoya, etc - it doesn't get so fridged. I suppose the good thing is, if you cut yourself accidently, you don't bleed - it's too cold, the blood freezes on contact with the air.
lol.gif
 Quote:
I had to check where you're from SirJib. I figured you for an Aussie, but I was wrong. --U.S. I'm guessing Florida. ;\) I don't mind the cold coz I come from a small Canadian Arctic outpost called Toronto (the name comes from the local Inuit language).

AH, I know Toronto - code named 'Ice Station Zebra'!

I'm a Californian - LA to be more precise. We are a spoiled lot - on Saturday, we're laying on the beach enjoying the sun - on Sunday, we're in the mountains snowboarding. I hate the cold, but I love snowsports...

Sapporo, capital of the North. Tokyo, capital of all things superficial.

Been to Tokyo many time, been to Sapporo many times. Sapporo feels like the smaller version of Tokyo but a lot more intimate in it's superficialness.

Don't like Osaka though, a mess of a city.

Sapporo is way nicer than Tokyo in terms of climate and mountain access - it even has municipal ski resorts. Unless you are a student or Engrish teacher business-wise there's not much going on there, though. If you want an interesting life, Tokyo or Osaka. Nagoya residents seem to swear by that place too (rather than swear at it).

You are from Brighton, so if you want a place that's 'cosmopolitan' then maybe Tokyo's best... ;\)

Roppongi perhaps? ;\)

What's Brighton like these days? I went there when I was 16 I think and have memories of sticks of rock, funfairs, arcade machines, fish and chips, kiss me quick tshirts and cheap omiyage. (I thought it was fun!)

But I heard it had changed a lot since the late 80's....

I like Niigata city but it's not that close to places, still need to make a trip. I like Nagano city and it is in a good postion in between Hakuba / Shiga Kogen / Nozawa / Myoko.