If you are looking to chill, then Kyoto has a lot of foreign airy fairy artistic types. You can get involved in amateur theatre, naval gazing, and competing with weird westerners who love to compete with Japanese people in who knows more Kanji comps. Very nice temples though, and a lot slower than the big smoke.

I dissed Nagoya earlier on this thread but I just drove through Kansai, by Nagoya/Gifu and into the mountains. I didn't realize how close Nagoya was to some pretty good skiing. Really never seemed like an attractive place to me but I was surprised at how quickly you can get into snow country on the highway.

Anyway, don't come to Shikoku if you want skiing. ("duh!")

I used to live in Amagasaki, about as un-airy-fairy as Kansai gets, but I used to go out in Kyoto a lot. Mainly in the 1990s to a sweatbox techno club called Mushroom. It was in a building where the CK Cafe (I think) is now. I met a lot of big-name underground djs (Richie Hawtin, Laurent Garnier, etc) there and they all said it was their favourite club in Japan. It used to really go off in there.

Kyoto has far more than its share of overzealous Japanophiles and smug locals, but there's still other stuff going on around the edges. You can't say that about Nara, or Kobe even unless its changed.

Kyoto's miles from the snow though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive never had a problem with people living in Kyoto. I find that people tend to want to stick to themselves a bit more. They want to enjoy what kyoto has to offer and sometimes you have to tune things out. I know I spent days just biking and chilling by the rivers or temples maybe even kayaking and couldnt be azzed to talk to anyone. Its kind of a place where you can get tons of sights, but you know that you have to share it during the best weather days. At least I would just tune out the busy crap. You just focus on the things that you wan to do or get out of the day.

Kyoto has become a heaven for lots of people that want to live a bit more quietly. Move up past the palace and you can really have a bit of culture with a bit of peace.

Kyoto really is one of the only cities where you can feel like you are stepping a bit back in time.

Pluses

cheaper rent than osaka.

easy to get around by bike.

Lots of outdoor stuff in the summer really close.

Close enough to Osaka to find good work.

Plenty of crazy festivals near by.

Character

Minuses

humid for 6 monthes

not near any really snow but heck gifu is only 2.5 hours drive away.

if you dont live near the hankyu, kintetsu, keihan or JR lines it takes a bit to get around.

I have not spent a huge amount of time in Kyoto, but I couldn't help feeling disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I suppose mine were similar to other peoples as well. I wasn't expecting a sprawling city with a few interesting places spread around.

I suppose you need to know where to go to enjoy it in all its glory.

there are more than just a few interesting places around in Kyoto V. As you noted though, the problem is that the place is also a big city, and a modern, ugly, urban Japanese one at that! Not as bad as Osaka for ugliness, but it's not pretty at first glance. I've enjoyed looking around more slowly, just a plce at a time, rather than doing a mad dash around the well known spots all in a day or two. It really does have a lot of great places.

My parents are coming to Japan in May (or possibly later in October) and I am planning on taking them to Kyoto, so doing a bit of research now to try and find out how to do it all.

I remember when my sister came she preferred Nara and also some "temple on a mountain" (?) near there (need to ask her). She said that was a wild experience - couldn't find any food and ended up in with some monks eating okayu or something?! eek.gif

If you take your parents to Kyoto, be sure to look up Peter, the geish expert (www.kyotosightsandnights.com). He does a great late afternoon walking tour through Kyoto's geisha districts. Very enjoyable.