Last week someone told me it was dumping (this was in Iwate). Turns out there was 5cm of new snow. Now, that doesn't really sound like a dump to me.

I'd say you'd need at least 20-30cm results to get the dump status.

What do you think?

5cm! lol.gif When it's dumping here, we can get 5cm in 10 minutes.

I don't think we have had a proper dump here this season yet. A dump to me is when it is really, er, dumping down relentlessly and the snow is piling up. On those days you'll easy get 30-40 maybe more cm.

Let's dump.

let's not get into the toilet humour here....

But with regards to snow, i'd say dumping doesn't refer to the accumulated quantity of a snowfall but rather it is in reference to the rate of actual snow fall. Ie there are many fat snowflakes and it goes on for quite a while.

On the flipside, if you wake up and say 'man it dumped last night, look outside' then this would be more directed at snow quantity. To which i'd agree 20-30cm is a dump.

How long is a piece of string???

One persons dump might be 5 cm. Anothers might be 90 cm.

I think you can say it's 'dumping' when you get it pilling up on your shoulders while you wait in the lift line, even if it only 'dumps' for 10 mins.

30cm? You mean under the snowmakers, don't you? This year any snow would have been nice! We just had a baby, so had to forego the whole southern winter. Kept my eye on the reports, though, which made me feel better knowing that everyone else was missing out too :p