Until now I have been snowboarding, but this season I've decided to buy a ski set and start skiing. I've gone and kitted myself up (well almost) and ready to give it a go.

It looks fun and it'll be great to be able to do both. Wish me luck.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I`m going to take up bording when I`m too old to ski. That way all I`ll have to do is to put my bored on, take my bored off, and lie on my back in the snow. The only thing I predict having a problem mastering is looking rooly coool.

Yes but they fight back.

Last year in Avoriaz I saw a boarder attempting to get moving and he fell on to his hands next to a skier. She was standing still and I think he made contact (very slight) so as he tried to scrabble away on his hands, board dragging behind she was beating him repeatedly on the back with her ski pole. It was shocking (and very funny). She was irate, like some dog has pi**ed on her leg.

She was probably the same woman who was seen on the lifts at Meribel shouting at snowboarders below; "hey! riff raff go home" lol.gif

Don't get discouraged, it's not as easy as boarding, and it takes time to master. Once you have, though, it's rewarding to know you have achieved something, something that someone who has never skied will never know.

I have an advance health directive in place, stating that in the event of my wanting to take up snowboarding, that I be put down in a humane manner... :p

I second that opinion Indo. Initially I reckon skiing was much easier. I picked up boarding pretty quickly too though. Keba, have you ever been a boarder? Sounds like you haven't by that last comment. If so, how can you say "it's not as easy as boarding"?? ;\)

I think that skiing is easier the first day and for small kids but there's more of an intermediate trap that would be discouraging and limiting if you're learning it as an adult. If I was starting from scratch and I wanted to be shredding ASAP then I'd probably take up snowboarding. Plus, I wouldn't want to be branded a 'perverted gimp' shifty.gif