• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushpig, I know there are a lot of very skilful boarders out there (and I'm sure most of the guys here fit that description), but in my experience (in 10 years of purely skiing) is that there are a lot more beginner/intermediate boarders who are chopping up advanced terrain than skiers of similar skill levels, and they seem to get away with it better than a skier might. Therefore, my (possibly mistaken) viewpoint that boarding is easier to get proficient at...

Or am I just a snob? confused.gif

maybe that's only because there are a lot more boarders than skiiers out there these days, while proportionately it isn't all that different?? ;\) Mate, we don't really need to get into this! Just some friendly ribbing is all that's going on here. Most of the guys I board with are skiers anyway!

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I'm cool with boarders, I just think that at least part of it's explosive rise in popularity must be because it's a bit easier to pick up, not just the cool factor.

Fun is fun, and if no-one gets hurt, it's all good.

hmmm, well I'll disagree with that hypothesis. I reckon its explosive rise in popularity is more image driven than anything else. Although notice how skiing is a lot "cooler" now too and therefore more poular than a while back when snowboarding held more "cool" attraction? I've heard probably equal numbers of skiers and boarders say that they found one or the other easier at varying stages in their progression. It really depends, I think, on what level you are happy to push yourself to rather than the nature of either form.

Now that's being deliberately provocative, Toque.

I'd agree though, BP, that the "New School" in skiing has given skiers a bit of a leg-up in the Cool dept. Especially in the park and pipe, I reckon the top skiers look so good, and there are a lot more variables available in the tricks with two planks intead of one.

And landing switch looks much more impressive than fakie...

Which reminds me. When I lived in Perth I had to go to Townsville for a conference, followed by Mt Isa for some field work, and then back via Canberra to visit my boss at AGSO.

I had to pack a suit, my mask and fins for a day's diving, field kit, rock pick and boots, ski boots, and snow clothes. That suitcase was full.

Telemarkers? Those things are designed to get you moving real fast on the flats or uphill. Have you ever held one in your hand? They are featherweight light. OK, if I'm doing downhill skiing at a resort with good lifts, then of course they make no sense. But they are so great for taking a cross-country hike.

Quote:
Telemarkers? Those things are designed to get you moving real fast on the flats or uphill. Have you ever held one in your hand? They are featherweight light. OK, if I'm doing downhill skiing at a resort with good lifts, then of course they make no sense. But they are so great for taking a cross-country hike.
It's oblivious you have not seen any modern Tele gear. Mine weights as much as any alpine setup. Same goes for the boots.

Friend of mine that I am doing lots of touring with is a BC gal telemarking early early in life but is now alpine touring and downhilling it for the first time ever. She had only ever locked down her heal twice and was absolutly amazed when we were out on the weekend at how much easier a randonee setup was for going uphill

Weight isn't even a question anymore as well with the Dynafit bindings

In North America I'm pretty sure I've read numbers at 50/50

Quote:
Originally posted by quattro:
It's oblivious you have not seen any modern Tele gear. Mine weights as much as any alpine setup. Same goes for the boots.
Obviously NOT! I'd better check that out then. Guess you really need to be fit to move around in those then.
 Quote:
Obviously NOT! I'd better check that out then. Guess you really need to be fit to move around in those then.
It's a lot of work. I still find it hard to ski all day since switching to Tele gear at least at the beginning of the season

It is a lot of fun though. Especially in powder

But do they still have the light stuff? I can understand the need for the heavy stuff to give the equipment the robustness needed if you're doing downhill on them. However, I was thinking of doing this on flats or undemanding terrain, sort of like a winter hike. Backpack some lunch, walk somewhere at a leisurely pace for half a day, have lunch and head back just to enjoy some light exercise and take in the scenery. Do they have light equipment for that sort of thing?

Markie, you are confusing telemarking with cross country/ski du fond/langlauf. Telemark was the origin of downhill/Alpine skiing. Telemarkers use essentially downhill gear, but with soft boots and a free heel. The name comes from the style of turn they make; kneeling. The SJF soldiers have to endure telemark kit.

Cross country kit is super light, and hopeless for downhill. In the summer, cross-country skiers need to dress in skin tight flouro-lycra and ride bikes with a saddle 40cm higher than the bars. We have an expression in English: "daft as a langlaufer".

Markie

There is a mix of x-country. If you are looking to stay off the x-country trail. You may want to look at something mid wight. Either get a 3 pin binding or a NNN BC or SNS(not sure of this one it is a Solomon version). The last two are a binding system and integrate with the boot.

Get a ski about 60 mm at the tip. Waxless is a little easier to deal with then waxable skis for a noob.

The lighter stuff is designed for trails.