I am not "standing up for them" or saying what this did was ok - I'm just simply pointing out that someone along the line made a mistake. And they have got bashed for it. But how long does that need to go on - surely this is not the place to do that anyway. Have you written to them to complain?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has she contacted them? If so then she should wait for their reply. She has made her point, and I think everyone here agrees it was a shitty move, but they may feel (mistakenly) that the issue was resolved when they took the photo down. If they don't realize that the issue isn't settled in EBCs mind, then this bitching will continue without response until they notice it. Give them a chance to apologise and address the issue, and then if they don't, feel free to bitch. That's how I see it anyway.

• SnowJapan Moderator

We are in no way endorsing the use of any photos from any website or anyone without permission. As #1 has said Snow Japan has been 'stolen from' many times - we don't like it when it happens.

But I think that this has gone on enough on the forums with the points made and things starting to go downhill. If any further action or discussion is needed I think it is better that it is done between the 2 parties involved rather than on here with everyone reading.

We will do all we can to help out if anyone ever finds anything similar to this involving photos or content on Snow Japan being used elsewhere - just let us know and we'll be on it as soon as we can.

Thanks.

Seriously bad advertising for Hakkers going on here.

If somebody used one of my pics and I was serious about being a photographer, I'd ask them to credit me properly and provide a contact address, not go bawling about how things are done in the US. These people are your neighbours. Do you like to piss in the bath by any chance?

photo credits don't help pay the bills O11.

Yes, if this was the states ebc would just send them an invoice with her fee x 3 as a penalty. so prob around 750$us. she would get her money but have bad blood. (but why not? they knew what they were doing (stealing) by cropping the sj logo).

but this is Japan, and in Japan copyright laws are not as advanced as in north america. It's doubtful she would get much more than a long, expensive legal situation.

She could, on the other hand, use it as a business opportunity. Let them know that a photo was used without permission and that to use it payment and/or permission is required beforehand. Be civil, explain the situation in a non-threatening way and maybe they would like to check out her other photos?

> photo credits don't help pay the bills O11

Freely slapping up photos on the internets and having them credited to SJ doesn't help pay the bills either. Does it now?

A bit of perspective is required maybe. Either you're in business or you're not, and if you're in the photo business, you'd better be systematic about identifying your work as your own.

(Though God knows why that other place can't take their own photos. It's hard to take a bad picture of the Hakkers mountains...)

EBC - Your pictures are the best I have seen in a very long time, those ones from the valley at dawn. I am really impressed. You saw something that gave you a mountain feeling, you picked up the camera and you captured that feeling. Looking at the pictures I feel it, even if it were not your intention. I have no idea if the exposure, composition, shades and blah are correct, probably they aren't. But those things are only important if you want to publish a picture in a magazine. They don't change the enjoyment I get from pictures like yours. You should keep taking pictures, because your efforts so far are beautiful.

I have the same little point and shoot camera as you, by the way.

As for stealing pictures: people steal things that they don't have themselves, thats the key issue for me: they don't have pictures of the terrain. I don't care so much that they lower themselves by cropping the SJ logo out of another persons picture. I care that they want to cash in on the terrain from 'a wow, look at us' perspective yet don't even have any pictures of it of their own. Why? Probably never actually been up there themselves is the most likely answer.

Gnarly-dude: I agree with your maths, or the sentiment of it.

ok, that's 2 posts from work today, I'm out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
> photo credits don't help pay the bills O11

Freely slapping up photos on the internets and having them credited to SJ doesn't help pay the bills either. Does it now?

A bit of perspective is required maybe. Either you're in business or you're not, and if you're in the photo business, you'd better be systematic about identifying your work as your own.

You can't compare posting your own photo on a site to someone stealing it for their own gain. Posting it on SJ is not a 'free use for your business' licence. that said, I only made my point about credits not paying the bills in the case of someone stealing a photo but putting a credit on it. It's fine if EBC has agreed to let them use the photo for credit.

as for the second point, I agree with you totally. but EBC's photo had an SJ logo which is an identifying mark. To me, them cropping that out is the worst part of this because they did it knowingly

Gnarly dude ... from what I have seen on the net and in mags recently I really do agree with your equation above. One factor you did not consider is the pimple VS mountain factor, but that may complicate your nice, simple equation above.

thanks db - i was returning home around 11.30pm last night and i saw the sky and the conditions, i knew it would be perfect this morning for getting those shots. and i could see last night that the snow was really far down the hills. so i woke up early this morning and went out and got the photos i wanted. i have a bit of a love affair with that view, i don't know how i'll EVER tear myself away from it, i take a lot of pictures of it as the conditions and sky and time of day changes, it never ever bores me - it's just so beautiful. i love taking photos, and taking time to do it properly. i really should get a digital SLR - but i'd need to learn how to use one properly first. i always look for my own kind of perfection in pictures - really good ones i have from europe are of russia, estonia and italy - mainly architectural shots - i'm not into taking photos of people (unless they are on snow) but now that i live here, i want to focus more on getting some great shots this winter, especially since i probably won't be able to do the things i want to on my skis this season - so i'll put my energy into photos.

as for the matter being talked about all day - i'm not out to argue the point until i'm blue in the face and i don't want to ruin someone's business attempts. they've taken the photo off and i think they now know that i was less than impressed. we don't need to debate this any more on here thank you. as far as i am aware, they will be contacting me directly concerning the matter.

ebc, get a dslr. Don't worry about learning how to use it first! They are fully auto if you want them to be, so you don't need to start using it to its full potential instantly. Once you have it you can learn by trial and error. They actually aren't all that complicated to use once you get the basics down \:\)

> but EBC's photo had an SJ logo which is an identifying mark. To me, them cropping that out is the worst part of this because they did it knowingly

I think that's a tad naiive. I like the SJ quid pro quo - I've benefitted from it myself - but the SJ logo is not EBC's mark ... I wouldn't want it on any pic I took, which is why I use other free hosts.

As for the 'benefitting for financial gain', is it even a quantifiable amount?

I want to get a digital SLR too. This photography/web publishing thing is too good to miss.

EBC I second what BP said. You will really see an improvement in your pictures even in the scene modes. I find that dlsr pics really jump out at you.

I really liked your Hakuba photos from this morning. They really made me go 'wow!' Keep up the good work thumbsup.gif

Digital slrs are great. Another happy D70 owner here. Its automatic settings are great and give you very punchy photos like kumapix says. This means the camera aggressively takes bright, vivid pictures, sometimes at the expense of sacrificing detail in the highlights. If that bothers you, you can change it all in the settings.

Aside from the detail and colours, slrs give you virtually instant response off the shutter. Once you get used to it, other digital cameras are a real pain to use.

very much a pain in the arse. BOC, you are right that a lot comes down to natural sense, but an slr gives you the extra freedom to mess around with pics that a point and shoot doesn't give you without doing a lot of fiddling around. You can do so much more with an SLR. EBC certainly looks to have the natural feel for good shots, and an slr would bring that out even more.