a few moons ago at Porter Heights in NZ and was bombing down from the very top; racing my friend. Halfway down the open face was a cat track traversing the slope that I forgotton about.

I saw the cat track at the last minute and tried to ollie at the top edge to give me enough clearance at make it - I hit the lip on the down hill side off-balanced and got launched.

Time seemed to stop as I sailed upside down for what seemed an eternity then landed on my head and rag dolled. Things went black - K.O.

Blood was pouring out my nose and I was a Disneyland.

After 20 mins I managed to slowly scrape my sorry ass to the bottom and a sat in the van for a couple of hours.

That was the third concussion of my life: one on the edge of a swimming pool, one playing rugby, and that one. I dont need anymore.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch! Have had three myself SG. One from a heel-side edge grab on ice, another on a pool side like you which resulted in 3 stitches in my chin, and another from a brutal hip and shoulder playing aussie footy. I don't need anymore either! They knock you off your axis for a good while.

I’ve been lucky enough to only have one concussion. Last day riding for the season (I’d racked up about 70 days), being an idiot and stacked at high speed. Smacked my head hard and I was completely disoriented and confused for days. I had this weird thing going on where it was like all these subconscious thoughts from my dreams etc were muddled in with actual events. So basically I was just garbling crap for days…

But that’s nothing compared to a friend of mine who broke her leg riding through trees. She lost control and collided with a thin tree, and woke up with her foot next to her head. Her initial thought was that she’d severed her leg, but then realized that she’d broken her femur and her leg (with board still attached) was sitting happily in front of her face.

To make things worse, she’s allergic to pethadine, and wasn’t sure what all the needles the doctors were waving around were, and so declined all painkillers for the first 12 hours. During this time they stretchered her down the mountain, drove her to hospital, wrenched her leg around for x-rays, and drilled a hole through her calf so they could set her in traction. Ouch!

She gave birth to her first kid earlier this year and said it was a cinch in comparison.

>I was completely disoriented and confused for days. I had this weird thing going on where it was like all these subconscious thoughts from my dreams etc were muddled in with actual events. So basically I was just garbling crap for days…

People pay a lot of money and break the law for that kind of thing. Consider yourself lucky ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by db le spu:
>I was completely disoriented and confused for days. I had this weird thing going on where it was like all these subconscious thoughts from my dreams etc were muddled in with actual events. So basically I was just garbling crap for days…

People pay a lot of money and break the law for that kind of thing. Consider yourself lucky ;\)
Although, it sounds not unlike being gainfully employed at a major company.

OK slight change of topic.

When you got injured, did you let somebody help you or try to walk (ski) it off?

On red and black slopes and taken a tumble nobody has stopped to ask if I was ok(if they did I would probably refuse) But in Japan I never have been asked.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that helicopter rides are always fun thumbsup.gif
lol yeh i reckon eh - my bro dislocated his shoulder last season going off a kicker at les deux alpes or somewhere... and got taken off the mountain by helicopter. he was so stoked to be in a helicopter in the french alps, he said he totally forgot about the pain.
 Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
I've never injured myself badly but have come close to dying on several occasions!
Good illustration of what a binary outcome is. And what did you do to come close to dying?

Fractured and dislocated my left elbow last year in the backcountry off 47.

I unintentionally went over a small compacted drift of snow and as I braced myself to hit the ground my elbow smacked right into the trunk of a tree. Didn't really hurt that much when I did it, I was just accutely aware something wasn't right. Carried on down the mountain though, but I was sweating like a fat kid on a treadmill by the time I reached the bottom.

It did get me an upgrade to business class on the flight home but when I got home and they took off the splint off I shat meself because I had pretty much zero movement in the joint. It took about a month to get full range back and for all the orrible dead tissue to be broken down. Its quite scary when a joint you know should be able to bend just wont budge however much you lean on it. Oh and the Japanese Doctors didn't give me any pain killers the fiends.

Nah I kept me mouth shut about where it happend for insurence purposes. Like I said I just boarded down, those warnings about the cost of various rescues were up there last year as well.

If it had been my leg it might have been a different matter, I imagine sliding down on your arse through deep snow would be pretty sketchy, especially as you might do yourself further damage. I did get a bit worried when I turned onto my toe edge though. With my elbow screwed I was ok heel side as I just fell on my back, but when I turned toe side I was worried about falling onto it. Nevermind thoug, its all good now.

Just got back from the hospital with a quite depressing diagnose.

I have been suffering from strange sensations in the left side of my body for some time.

The Doctor suspected sclerosis, and i have been thru MRI's, spinal taps and various other tests.

The good news is that after my last MRI of the lower spine , there is no sign of sclerosis.

The bad news is that i have 2 (!) herniated discs in my lower back.

A quick Google reveals that up to 30% of the adult population have, or have had herniated discs, so i guess some of you folks have tried it too.

I have back pain, but not too bad, but i am wondering about what to do this season. any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by best snowboarder @ niseko:
Broken thumb is the worst I have had.
Had a classmate in high school who was riding a ski lift at Les 2 Alpes. When he arrived at the top he could not get away from it/release (do not ask me how), the safety barrier failed to trigger, he looped around & got carried around upside down going downhill for a while until he fell from quite a height. Broke his collar bone & both thumbs! Came to class with his chest+arms+thumbs plastered in the thumbs up position. Quite a sight!

broken wrist from my first day on a snowboard and not being able to turn so i resorted to straight lining and crashing

dislocated shoulder from mundanely straight lining to the lift and losing it on a section of poor grooming

torn meniscus and concussion from straight lining a mogul field directly into a tree

broken thumb from straight lining the park and over shotting the landing on a table top

torn ACL from straight lining a ridge line and crashing into the side of the mountain in order to prevent myself from going over it

herniated disk and concussion from straight lining in to the mandatory air out of an arms width chute only to land in a patch of wind packed ice/snow

i think i am noticing a trend here.

worst injury i have ever seen is a toss up; either witnessing my client fracture his femur, i swear to god it sounded as though an oak tree had been chopped down, or watching an overly eager whistler powerday huckster throw himself head first off a 40ft cliff into a huge rock. the sound to that one was also nauseating. \:\(