• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't tell you the make or model of mine. All I know is it is much better than the other 2 I had.I Don't go much on brand names. It's warm and comfortable and only cost $50 canadian.

Hopefully I wont get to test out it's crash qualities.

Protec - crappy crome dome silver with no style but does have detachable ear flaps. Cost about Y5000 5 years ago and has paid for itself in saved medical bills many times over. I don't know what it weighs but I don't notice the weight at all. I never ride without it.

I had and destroyed a Giro Fuse over the last two seasons. It went in the rubbish after one of the chin strap attachment points broke free. This happened because I often just clip the helmet to my snowshoes on my backpack, resulting in unnatural twisting, pulling and torque-ing of the chin strap, especially when you crash. Eventually one attachment point ripped free. I can’t imagine this would happen with normal use. It was a good helmet: light, comfortable, great vent system, warm. I recommend that you don’t get a black helmet.

EBC – for silly reasons, I also have an unused Giro 9 sitting at home. It is lighter than the Fuse and doesn’t have as many vents nor a vent closure system. But I am sure it is a good hat and will likely put it to use this season. Although I would like a lower volume hat designed for light skull smack protection and not much more. I used to wear a virtually unpadded low profile slalom helmet for just that purpose.

I have phased the helmet out quite a bit and only wear it when I am coming down steeps, rocks or trees. Or a crowded piste in Japan.

I expect my helmet to protect me from head hits that would hurt like hell, draw blood or cause a huge egg on my skull. I don’t wear one to save me from terminal head injuries.

You ask a lot of questions for a girl that never offered a trip report of your NZ adventure. hhmmm.

I have never worn the 9 in the field, so I can't compare. What I can say:

- For my skull, the fit on the 9 is more comfortable than the Fuse.

- The Fuse has more vents and the closure system is a practical feature, not a gimmick. For this reason I would choose the Fuse.