• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gets heavier?? Really? I can understand the idea that they get hotter, but heavier? I haven't worn one so have no experience of it spud. Not heard of that before.

or do you just mean the heat makes it harder-going and therefore more weary and so heavier?

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
that noticeable?
It is proportional to the coefficient of reflection. The hat wont get linearly heavier past a certain point. But don't worry about that mumbo jumbo. All you need to know is that it is noticeable considering the ratio of black surface area to the cold weight of the helmet. They are very light and very black, so a 50% increase in weight is quite possible on a sunny day.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
am I german? wakaranai.gif did I miss/say something?
It seems you either are actually German, or you have never met any.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
It's the photons, mate, the photons. The change in mass depends on whether you are inhabiting the particle or wave reality of the time-space continuum.
Yes, that is the reason behind differential solar induced weight delta across the spectrum of prime colours that a helmet might be coloured.

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
right good information, you've helped very much spud thank you
What school do you teach at? Parents need to be informed.

Luv the 2 levels of understanding going on at once in this thread. My car is black and not german and I have to over-inflate my tires due to the extra weight on sunny days. By the way, refraction is a serious phenom, thanks to it european countries get extra minutes of sunlight everyday. It adds up over the year.

EBC - Germans have an amazingly reliable inability to detect, let alone role with, sarcasm, piss taking, satire etc. In terms of emotional perception, it is the same as them being unable to taste salt or see the colour blue. They are often so literal that they don't even understand the fact that they can't detect piss taking. I like German people a lot, but this emotionally handicap is amazing to see in reality.

Black helmets absorb more heat than white helmets. So your head gets hotter faster in a black hat. Therefore white seems like a comfortable choice... or is it? Black helmets radiate outward any absorbed heat much faster than white. So after a sunny morning, as the weather turns cloudy and cold, your head will cool down much faster in a black hat than white, quickly losing all that precious warmth just when you need it. Although I believe this to be correct, I don't think it matters much, if at all. Get a white helmet. Or pink.