Some mega stores are parasites out of control. They don't deserve any special treatment, especially the jerk-offs that grossly over charge in London ski shops (not that its relevant here). If it is a local gear shop run by riders, then I agree with you.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like to mix it up - buy from shops and buy online - and try EVERYTHING on first - i mostly buy online when i can't get something in a shop i want or if i'd have to go to tokyo for it (non snow items included in that)

it's not about shops, it's about JAPAN - do you know how expensive and overpriced snow gear is here? it's like living in freakin norway man

the shop where i tried on the aforementioned helmets i rewarded 40,000 yen the other day with a single purchase and have spent a stack of cash there over the last year

i just wrote a wish list and priced it online at one single website based in the US - and INCLUDING shipping costs - all of it would still cost 20,000 yen less than buying it in a shop in japan

what would you do?!

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
it's about JAPAN - do you know how expensive and overpriced snow gear is here? it's like living in freakin norway man
Gear in Japan is cheap: buy last seasons gear. You know that the Japanese hate anything that isn't the latest and greatest. There is so much oversupply in Jimbocho that the less popular stuff simply wont sell unless discounted. I bought old season gortex pants and jacket in November for 20,000 yen a piece.
 Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
suck it up. some of us are poor and are subsidized by undiscerning money wavers that buy new gear at suggested retail to keep the shops open.
I never said pay retail, I just think it is a low act to waste a shops time....sure if they are not competitively priced go elsewhere (net??) but if they are within 10% I will take their price because they have it, they will support it and they are close to the mark.

hmm it's funny how context has changed the meaning of my posts since i wrote them. i didn't see some of the replies and things seem to have gotten shuffled.

anyway i always buy previous year's gear or used when i can. gotta make space for those patriotic consumers.

yeh last years are all good - but they are also EVEN cheaper online, but yeh tokyo has a bigger selection for all that, i don't know i've never been to a ski shop in tokyo in my life - it costs too much just to get there

my local shop knows i buy different stuff in different places, but i always buy plenty there so get nice discounts and class A service and advice - i bought something there today and since all the new stock is in, tried on helmets too - actually when i picked up my down bag there the other day he handed me a helmet to try on as soon as i walked in the door, because he knows my nz giro is done

mix n match thumbsup.gif

You miss my point....an astute retailer will be good enough to compete with internet retailers...to go to an astute retailers store, try on a helmet knowing that you will but it and save $10 on the net is wasting their time.

Non-astute retailers (shall I say dumb retailers!) deserve everything they get!

imo, that would be wasting yours.

in any case you've pretty much dissembled your initial comment. if the price is competitive there's no reason to buy on the internet so the point is moot. and if not then no qualms.

great. glad we agree. see ya at the gear swap!

i would not waste time for 10 bucks.

ebc you cant compare america to japan. on the whole japan is a much cheaper place for certain things. I can walk into and out of Alpen. On that trip for 20000 yen I can buy a helly hansen full set up.

Dont bag what you really dont know when you go to tokyo youll see that its very cheap.

JD i prefer to buy boots at a shop for the service. Any shop that doesnt also sell online is foolish. That said if I tried on a pair of boots and liked them alot but didnt have the cash. then those boots were online for half the price id buy them online or somewhere else

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
in any case you've pretty much dissembled your initial comment.
How so?

I think if you buy smart you can do nearly as well or better than off the net, so that is why I say it is a low act to try at a decent store and buy off the net for a tight @ss saving....some do it to save tiny amounts and I reckon it is crap.

Stuff that requires a decent fit (helmet, boots etc.) I always buy from a good shop and with a helmet, pay about the same as the net. Boots, different story, pretty happy to pay a bit more for them if the fitter does a good job, well worth it for such critical gear.

ebc you almost never have a positive thing to say about this country. Its not that expensive here its cheaper than most countries. Compare it to the UK. The problem is that you cant read or understand Japanese enough to find the bargins.

I have helly hansen look at your ketai pic that is helly hasen!

dude sorry if i haven't lived in japan for 15 years or something and don't speak perfect japanese and have not turned into someone who gets defensive about the country..... i wouldn't want to.

anyway, you can't read japanese very well can you? i use japanese websites all the time. i tried to find a sled on yahoo auctions IN japanese.

anyway, when you came up with your theory about how i don't like japan, i was about to go to nz and VERY much needed to get on a plane to anywhere at that point.

i like japan thumbsup.gif i just don't love it (disclaimer - i DO love hakuba)

and i can't see what you are wearing on a keitai pic

i dont need a store to try on helmuts JD sorry.

EBC 15 years eh??? I guess i was here in high school lol.

Japan is one of the cheapest places to buy gear really if you know where to look. When i lived in kyoto i did well for gear. You just have to be smart and not buy when its over priced or search out other locations.

i have park stezzz

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
i dont need a store to try on helmuts JD sorry.
Yeah, a helmet is pretty safe if you know the model, but if changing to a new model I would want to check out the sizing/comfort before I bought.
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Deere:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
or try one in a shop and then buy online if it's cheaper.
I am sorry but that is a pr1ck act.....somebody has to pay for the floor space and staff that hlped you try that helmet on and you reward them by buying off the net? that is crap!
lol.gif lol.gif

Right, just let me get this out of the way. I won't go buy online just for a 10 dollar saving JD :rolleyes:

Second, I just bought a helmet IN A STORE in Tokyo when I found a cheap one.

Third, in my case, no staff helped me try on any helmets in any of the stores I went in so I wasn't wasting their time at all. The only guy that I even talked to and was very helpfull, was the guy in the shop I bought my helmet from.

Anway, by your implied logic in the above comment, I am also being a prick to the first shop in a row of ten shops if I try on a helmet in that shop and like it, but then go to the remaining 9, without trying them on, just to try and find the same one cheaper. Have you never shopped around to find a better price, even though you may have already decided on what you want at a certain point along the way? It's called a market economy mate. Get over it. :rolleyes:

BP, I think you are not quite getting my drift. Of course you have the right to shop around, and you would be mad if you didn't.

What I am saying is if a shop offers good service, a good price and a good product, why save a few bucks by slapping them in the face and buying off the net. I know people that have done it and think it is pretty low. You said in your response you wouldn't do it and rolled your eyes, this tells me you have the same theory as I do, your original comment did not say or imply this.

fair enough JD. And I wouldn't do it just to save a few bucks either, so we are essentially in agreement here anyway. Also agreed that helpful staff will make me more likely to buy there if the price also fits. But, that is their job. It is what they are paid to do, so we ultimately owe them nothing. They are, after all, trying to take our money, and we are trying to save our money. Anyway, point taken, and for the most part agreed \:\)