Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
I can't offer that because I don't know the area. My winter year is going to be one of exploration unless I meet some locals right away.
Fair enough. What area do you have in mind to explore? I could take a look at that, do some internet research, kill a day at work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Chances are that most everybody talking about your SM line will jam on you at the last second even if conditions are great. Sad but true.
You sound like a man bittered by previous let downs.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at getting into:

Bonnington Range

Kootenay Pass

Whitewater BC

Red Mountain BC

Although once spring comes which brings better access that list will expand to include the Valhalla and Kokanee Glacier Parks

I've learned over the years of trips that the only reliable person is myself. Saddly I probably can't rescue myself when I'm in trouble.

People have other motivations, addictions, commitments, fears, problems, passions, financial woes, loves...

Cheers, I will look into those spots.

This season I want to do at least one 5 day tour, no huts. To me, this is a golden opportunity, especially being in Canada. Would you be up for that, a 5 day trip taking in a wider range of exploration and daily descents rather than single day trips or bagging serious lines. It would be awesome fun and also quite a valuable tour on the resume, so to speak.

If the weather co-operated you could take in a few high valleys, cols and minor peaks over 5 days. Either start at A and end at B, or do a 5 day round trip/loop.

We could traverse the Bonnington Range?! Doesn't sound too high alpine, which is nice in case it gets super cold. I will be fresh off my av 1 week so would be all super careful and that. Plenty of beta available. http://members.shaw.ca/dog_house/bonnington.html

From bivouac.com:

KeyPasses: Cottonwood Pass in the east, Erie Pass in the south, Bombi Summit in the southwest.

Terrain: ..... Peaks are generally low, few exceed 2,300 metres and generally have lightly treed summits.

Sounds perfect for that time of year. Don't have to worry about crevasses being not yet filled in, good lower ground offering alternate routes and some protection in storms, lots of wooded routes. Whilst I wouldn't want to underestimate the risks, I sounds like nice easy touring, rather than a high risk and high effort alpine mountaineering trip. And you will already have done some reccy work pre-season?

You're on bivouac?

Bongington has huts but not like what you know. Just freebies on a 1st come 1st serve. Somewhere to sleep and cook. Not really a very rugged place but cool cause I can see the hills from my town. But it's supposed to be a pretty cool area

For a longer trip like 5 days or more I'd like to get into some bigger terrain. I have a ski tour guide book and can look into it.

Dude if you want to get something done in the area I want to be there. I have 2 weeks at Christmas 12/17 - 1/3

1-2 weeks at Spring Break which is in March and then maybe a week in June.

Not so much time but that is life for me right now

I'm open to bigger terrain for sure, you're the expert on what's available and good at that time of year. If it happens, I will be finishing my course on the 17th, a short heli trip from Kokanee glacier. So, hypothetically, perhaps you could drive to that drop point and we could set off on an itinerary in that vicinity? I'll check the work situation for the week leading up xmas day, but damn, it seems like the perfect opportunity. Although I kind of have to be in Chamonix on the 23rd of Dec, so I can't actually do a full 5 day tour. I would need to be back at the airport in Vancouver on the 21st, a bit of a bummer now I stop to think about it. That only gives us a 3 day tour, at the best.

bivouac.com: I am not a paid member, but I have looked at it a few times.

El Nino brings drought warning

"EL Nino, an extreme warming of equatorial waters in the Pacific Ocean that causes drought in Australia has formed and will last into 2007, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said today.

It said El Nino also will cause wetter than average conditions in the US Gulf Coast and Florida, and spark dry conditions in the Ohio valley, the Pacific North-West and most US islands in the tropical Pacific."

Looks like it may be a few beers in the desert.

is the kokanee course out of slocan chief cabin? that area is just awesome skiing! you don't have to helly out of there if the conditions are safe that will save you about $200. however you want to make sure kokanee lake is frozen or else crossing through the valley can be sketchy and has killed people before.

Beanie - A few day trips, or an over nighter might be the better option. Bugger it. For a while I thought this was a great chance to do a 5 day trip. But I have not even worked out when or even where I will do the course... still plenty to work out.

Daver - I don't yet know which cabin it is run from.

Soub - hmmmm, such is life.

Don't tease me. Boo Hoo. We don't even live in the same country and xmas will be the only 4-days-in-a-row run that we get to hang out together in the next 4 months. Besides, I scoped out some good back country tours last spring and being on unglaciated ground they come into top form much earlier in the season so it would be a pity to waste it. They are a little unpopular due to the 3-4 hours effort needed to reach them. In this particular sector most people usually drop into their line after 2-3 hours of work, rather than going that little bit further around to the upper reaches of the ridge line.

If you got o Canada, a few of my favorites are

Lake Louise (Alberta)

Sunshine (Alberta)

Fernie (BC)

Whistler (BC)

Castle Mountain (Alberta)

Whitewater (BC)

and spots i always hear good things about

Kicking Horse (BC)

Big White (BC)

Red Mountain (BC)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
db the CAA course here is put on through Dave how just translates for the Japanese students. The teachers all come from Canada every year. Dave can only teach the Rac and Arac.
do they actually do the CAA level 1 out of evergreen? i all knew about was the ARAC. curious if anyone has any opinions regarding the two. i wanted to take the ARAC this year, but if they have the CAA#1 i would be interested in taking it instead. that being said, i have no intentions of working in the industry and as such think that the ARAC might be more suitable. is there remarkably more USABLE info on the CAA#1 or would they be roughly the same as far as a recreational backcountry skier is concerned?