• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been up that valley yet. That lodge is next to McKean Lakes on the Koch Creek FSR

When not under snow it is 2WD until km 26 where a bridge has either been removed or destroyed

It's an extra 3km past this to the trail leading to the lodge.

I just read that in summer you can be at the lodge in 3 hours from the trail head. So maybe 4 hours with the extra walking now

In winter when you will be going if you want to ski in to the lodge you will be parking your car 30km from the lodge. The roads will easily be skiable though as I am sure the local snowmobilers use these roads for fun. But 30km is a long ways to go.

If I had the cash I'd fly in

Let me know if you want anymore info. I am a paid up member of bivouac so have lots of info at my fingertips about access

Also if you do get out here let me know and maybe we can meet up for a coffee (beer) or even a little day tour on the weekend

This was taken from Lucifer looking almost directly west

toque_363.JPG

Except for the 2 peaks named in that picture and a few in the background none of the bumps have names.

I went to a Ymir yurt, Nelson five years ago, when I was YOUNG. It was a tough journey to hike up/down on two passes to reach the yurt! So far, how shoud I do as a no-money & old person ???? Another problem is the location Nelson, which is far from Vancouver. Castlegar airport is called Cancel-ger, as you know.

I have been to a few places in Canada. Whistler is great when it is on, however there can be negatives such as heavier, wetter snow, lift queues and cost. The village and terrain are awesome though.

Lake Louise is incrediby beautiful, Fernie has great snow and terrain.

We went to Sun Peaks in Jan and really loved that, lots of snow, few lift lines anywhere and a pretty village with lots of ski in and ski out.

If you want to know any specific feel free to ask.

Lots of great choices \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowConnection:
I went to a Ymir yurt, Nelson five years ago, when I was YOUNG. It was a tough journey to hike up/down on two passes to reach the yurt! So far, how shoud I do as a no-money & old person ???? Another problem is the location Nelson, which is far from Vancouver. Castlegar airport is called Cancel-ger, as you know.
Haha. I don't think you would have aged that much in 5 years.

I have heard that the airport is called that. Funny that you mentioned that. I'm about 2 minutes away from it. Rent a car or take the greyhound to Nelson.

You could always do an unsupported ski tour. Are you coming with people?
There are lots of huts that are free

Or you try and get somebody with a snowmobile to give you a lift up the road

Or email the lodge and see what they say

At first, I contacted VMT http://www.vmt.ca/ .

> The meeting place is Hills 1 1/2 hr drive from Nelson.

> The nearest B&B is in New Denver Sweet Dreams Guesthouse.

> We access the lodge with a snowcat 1 1/4 hr trip.

Snowcat seems to be good for an aged person. But, sorry, they are full booked for 2007 Feb.

I will check another.

I think that that style of skiing in BC getting very popular with people from oversees that have the money to spend but want more than heliskiing.

You might have to start reserving a couple years in advance.

There are a load of operations out there that run the same style of backcountry hut ski touring.

I just found out that I get a 2 week spring break in March so am thinking that I want to get a traverse in which would be cool. A girl in my program is right into this stuff as well and has more contacts so it might actually come together

Toque - my annual leave timing is not letting me do teh December trip. Bummer man.

So...

What is the easiest way to reach Fernie? I can fly to Edmonton via Calgary. Should I just get off at Calgary and take a bus? Or should I fly all the way to Edmonton and then take a bus? Is Edmonton the same as Alberta? Is Alberta a city or a state? What's up with that shit.

get off in calgary! from there it is about three hours by bus.

alberta is a province. edmonton is the capital. calgary is the biggest city. fernie is in BC. (another province)

spud, i really expected more from you. tisk tisk tisk.

Yeah, but it was a golden chance to do some touring after the course. I am quite disappointed. I means my January Japan trip takes a nose dive as well.

Daver - I think your explanation helped.

Here the odd thing. I checked for flights to Edmonton from Frankfurt. They go via Calgary. So I then check the price of the flight just to Calgary... and it suddenly goes via Toronto!? What's up with Air

Here you go Spud

This will help you get you bearings

Fernie is in the lower right corner on the number 3 Highway

Edmonton is just out of the map above Airdrie

Castlgar where I live is almost visable on the left. The TLEGAR is all we can see.

bcMap.gif

Oh and if you are wondering I didn't get a map that had both Edmonton and Caslegar on it

I pulled that off the Fernie Ski Resort page

As stated above, Fernie is 'aboot' a 3 hour drive from Calgary.

Alternatively, its a 75 minute drive from Cranbrook. The City of Fernie is 5km from the resort.

Flights into Calgary and Cranbrook are regularly available through several airlines.

It may be worthwhile to get a flight from Calgary to Cranbrook and get a shuttle bus - check this out, could be quicker/more convienient = $$

"Daver - I think your explanation helped."

glad to be of assistance. btw, edmonton is about 8 hours from fernie.

also, there will certainly be direct ski buses to fernie from calgary airport. no idea on booking a spot on one though.

This season, Canada, populality of heli-access lodge BC skiing is soaring. Bookings of all famous lodges have been mostly full for 2007. Even, they accept 2008 reservation. I am in a Feb waiting list of KMH who will tell me a result by Oct 1st week. I might see some room at GAH. If I can not find some, I might have to buy a great guide service who live in Castlgar.... But, it must be expensive. The life is headache.