I'm interested to know of the good places for skiing and snowboarding in Canada and know there's a few of people in the know on here.

So go on, tell me.

I might be going over there for a few weeks in February, not sure yet, but I'd love to try the snow out over there if it comes off.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rach, spent 2 weeks in Whistler in March this year and loved it. A big busy place with a huge variaty of terrain. Just depends on what you want really. Also visited Silver star and Lake louise briefly.

I'm sure there are people in here that can give you more detail than I can. But I can give you a perspective from a tourist point of view.

how well do you ski? what do you want to ski? do you tour? what do you want to do while not skiing? do you want to spend everyday skiing or do you want rest days? how much money are you willing to spend? do you want to bum it, or are you goingto take the classy route? do you want to stay in one place or are you willing to drive around to different places? do you want to spend any time in the city?

lots of options. better to have an idea of the type of trip you want. then i can give you lots of info.

when whistler's on you cant beat it.

if you want to get rad and ride big lines or challenge yourself whis is great but if your mellow'r and just want to ride pow and enjoy your vacation I'd suggest the interior. Whistler can be stressful on big days but if you get off on it(like me) then it's amazing.

Ahh, bummer, its like that in Chamonix as well. I hate those days. I would rather not have powder at all. Every one, particularly men, get this obsessed stare in their face like a dog trying to shag another dog: nothing else exists, just getting to the top of the line asap and dropping in. It is almost an image and reminds me of surfing a crowded famous break when its pumping, which is totally un-fun.

Dog eat dog goes against the entire thing that I get from being in the mountains (and is pretty much why I stopped surfing).

Daver - that saying is the root of all evil. I am a big believer in sharing and helping people out, and I like sharing with strangers as much as sharing with friends. (OT: so much so that some people take advantage of me).

i thought we had established religion to be the root of all evil? ;\)

actually spud, i don't fully believe in that saying. but alas at a mountains with some of the best terrian and best riders in the world, you kinda have to abide by that rule.

the stress ... is lift lines, people cutting under cliffs, slide sliping your lines, people telling you why you cant ski this and that and on and on ...buuuuuut. when your in the zone in your head all this negs make the biggest positive when you get away with slaying the blue bird pow lines. A feeling I've yet to beat weather in nowhere land on foot, sled or heli. Theres something about the hecticness that's really satisfying.

Also dont forget that the resort is only teeny percent of whats available to ride in this neghborhood. You want peace, love and pow turns, it's here and waiting.

yes theres not a lot but there is more than enough to shred. the bonus is that the alpine is area boundry in the early season so you can shred the closures with out any grief. And it's a short hike. just depends on the season. Interior usually goes off though.

There wouldn't be much shredding taking place. Its all for the av course with no spare days. My main concern is how appropriate the early season snow pack is for an expensive 7 day avalanche education course.

There are other options open to me:

9-12 dec at kokanee glacier

7-14 Jan at Burnie Glacier

7-14 Jan at Fernie BC

If I do a January course then I will come directly from Canada to Japan for a week. If I do a December course then I will come to Japan at some stage in late Jan.... maybe.

dude, that is the most expensive course. It is hut based, out in the field, so it costs an extra CAD675 +GST+10% foreigner surcharge. And that is in addition to the CAD1250+10% foreigner surcharge basic tuition fee. And due to the travel required to reach the glacier, it is a longer course: 8 full days, making it pretty hard to add an extra day to go touring with you. Why don't you go and give blow-jobs to raise the cash and join me up there?

Fernie is the best combo for me in terms of value and a trip to Japan tacked on at the end. But doing the December trip then staying another week to head out touring with you is damned tempting. Work leave in the week leading into xmas might be tough though. And it would mean that Japan trip and the Sock Monkey is off the agenda. Can you offer me something as good as the Sock Monkey? In mid Dec?

We do take a heli up there, that is why it costs an extra $675 (plus hut fees and fodder)

I can't offer that because I don't know the area. My winter year is going to be one of exploration unless I meet some locals right away.

I know a few people I will get out with but so far they are also new to the area as well.

But I think you are building up your Japan trip for disapointment. Chances are that most everybody talking about your SM line will jam on you at the last second even if conditions are great. Sad but true.