• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Ian, do you always go across your valley by yourself and wait or does someone go with you? Do you get any epic runs yourself?

I love the exposure on that shot.

what's the fstop on your lens? Is it2.8 or higher?

I've got a 4-5.6 so I'm just wondering if a shot like that is doable.

Robest,

Mate, I was never a big fan of the Steve Irwin show but he obviously loved what he was doing and was hugely successful at it – good on him, I say. Irwin was certainly doing what he loved immediately prior to being fatally wounded by a stingray so I guess that’s a good thing. On the other side of the ledger, a young family has lost a father, Australia has lost a favored son and we’ve all lost a tireless worker for nature and conservationism. I don’t reckon we got the best end of that bargain, do you? I wonder whether his last thoughts were of joy at having been diving on the Barrier Reef or of sadness when he realized he might not see his kids grow up and experience the world themselves.

I love snowboarding – my wife describes me as a snowboarding tragic- I also have a young daughter and my wife is expecting twins early next year. A life time spent in bounds is a small price to pay for a lifetime with them.

I reckon Rupert McCall is to poetry and what Steve Irwin was to conservation. ;\)

ianbc - nice pics. Do you do that for a living?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rag-Doll:
I love snowboarding – my wife describes me as a snowboarding tragic- I also have a young daughter and my wife is expecting twins early next year
Can I buy your Arbour A-Frame? I could do with a spare beacon as well so I'll take that off your hands if you like.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
So Ian, do you always go across your valley by yourself and wait or does someone go with you? Do you get any epic runs yourself?

I love the exposure on that shot.
what's the fstop on your lens? Is it2.8 or higher?
I've got a 4-5.6 so I'm just wondering if a shot like that is doable.
that wasnt really across the valley, more on a arm of that zone and yes shredding is first priority unless the lines are insane and light is epic then i am camera man.

these 2 pics are from the next run which was mine.
http://www.pieandchips.com/doggy/slidesyoudiept1.jpg
http://www.pieandchips.com/doggy/slidesyoudiept2.jpg

I cant remeber the fstop but likely around 5.6.

> Can I buy your Arbour A-Frame? I could do with a spare beacon as well so I'll take that off your hands if you like.

My wife loves me dearly and is very understanding of her man's needs so I'll be needing the board for quite a few more years. The beacon was sold long ago...she's understanding but not THAT understanding.

yeah, there's several kilometers of glacier to deal with at the bottom. Depending on which route out of there you choose you can ride it all without taking your board off. It is surrounded by glacier, you even have to climb one for 5 hours just to get up there. Its a very long day out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
 Quote:
Originally posted by ianbc:
I cant remeber the fstop but likely around 5.6.
cool, so it's not a $2000 lens. great thumbsup.gif
it's good to know you can still get awesome shots with cheaper lenses [/QB]
yes it is a 2000 buck lens but not shot at 2.8 which it bottoms at. 5.6 allows for more detail in the entire picture at 2.8 it would look alittle different. good glass is key to good images on a consistent basis. On the other hand here some pics I took the other day on the 18-55 kit lens (piece of crap) that came out decent but would have been much nicer on good glass. Lots of PS went in to these to save them.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
The weather forecast is not looking too good for you at the moment dizzy.
yeah, it's not looking like the best weather in the world... if the sun comes out, should make for some good sunrise pics and i'll get some use out of my rain gear. worse comes to worse, i can always replan. come on, Sun!

Well its looking like crossed fingers do more for a man's hopes than crossed legs because its now saying sunny for Monday! You lucky bugger!

I went for a little stroll myself today up to a lake called Kazafuki Oike. You reach the trail head via what must be the worst road in the Hakuba Valley. It was like being inside a large cocktail shaker for thirty minutes. Lesser types would have been spewing.

The hike was a tad under 700m vert through woodland. No view to speak of on the way up, but the lake is spot on once you reach it. Not a soul there. After the lake, the trail branches to Tengupara or Renge Onsen.

dsc3852ho2.jpg

Yeah, its a picture of Aokiko with TJ and the fish just out of shot. lol.gif

Top right turquoise blob with mini blobs either side in this one

http://www.naganogakuren.net/tozanMap/saniki/03kitaalps/01asahi/index.htm

Here's the topo. Click down to see more familiar terrain

http://watchizu.gsi.go.jp/watchizu.aspx?id=55371655&slidex=0&slidey=1200

Too easy dude.