AK47, yes these guys were riding on a different planet. Those pics from the triolet descent are the most impressive I have ever seen. These guys look like their board's is barely biting into the snow, it is so steep. They have re-defined the word steep!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RagDoll, there is no need to convince me. Reckless and extreme sporting behaviour that ends in death is just that: reckless. Strangely, some people are prepared to do things that will kill them. They know it and they do it. On some funny days out I have pondered on my hike if I was going to die that day. My conclusion is that I might break something, but death would be very unlikely unless a freak accident happened.

Death is utterly meaningless as you are going to die and you wont know you did once you're dead, so what does it matter if you do die? To fear death is irrational. My death is meaningless to me: I don't welcome nor seek it, but as an isolated individual I couldn't care less when it happens*. But being more realistic, I am not an isolated individual. Death is not so great for the ones left behind and that is what justifiably stops most of us from letting loose in life. I don't know many fathers who do risky things. The only time my death has any substance is when I imagine my girlfriend's shattered heart and unfixable pain. When I see that in my head, I don't ever want to die. Or perhaps I don't ever want to love.

Very off topic. Sorry.

*assumption: so long as I die almost instantly.

toque - that guy has a really good collection of tours and experiences. I have read most of the site already. I like it.

no time to read this over the last few days but enjoying it today. on a side note rappie has a whip-it toque for 10000 yen right now. im even considering it. its either that or a light axe for double axe climbing.

Take a look at the cascade classics site I posted above.

They are skiing nearly all their lines with 2 whippits plus 1 regualar mountaineering axe and an ice climbing axe

How about not falling

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fatty, now that most of the snow has melted is there any chance of you going for a walk to get a few close up shots showing the bed surface on the Sock Monkey? What shape and size are the base rocks, particularly on the original purple line? How solid is the mass?

le%20spud_69.jpg

FT doesn't like walking \:D

Like most rock in Japan it's probably rotten and loose

There will be a bit of vegetation but not so much because of the elevation. That ridge is at about 2600 meters I think.

Tree line is at about 2000 meters in that area I think. Most vegetation stops around 2900-3000 meters

Considering he is growing some of the biggest vegies ive ever seen, i could easily be converted. Kayaking in and around kyoto and nara now in some of the biggest water of the season. settling down now but, I flipped about 7 times up till now. Last season i think i flipped once.

I was only joking around. Although I do not grow vegetables (no dirt in my apartment) I used to eat at a communist sympathisers eatery in Milan. Besides the manifesto posters of clenched fists plastered on the wall outside, they had a sign stating that Coca Cola was banned.

You sound like EBC. I'm a park rat.

I have never been interested in climbing in my life but in the absence of anything else.... I will give it a go. Besides, I want to use the walls to practice rope work more so than actual climbing up a wall hand over hand.