OK this sounds like a simple thing, but how do you keep your ears warm on a cold day on the slopes? I have tried masks and the like but they are either ineffective in keeping my admittedly easy to be cold ears warm OR it really feels uncomfortable.

I'm interested to hear your ear protecting setup \:\)

You are right yama3 - I meant a complete head cover thing whatever you want to call it. I haven't tried a helmet that looks like it will do the job on my ears. I'm just a sensitive guy. \:\) I'd really ideally like to have big wooly fluffy things totally covering my ears.

On the tube? Ace.

They do look warm. The one thing I don't like as well is getting really cold. My helmet and scarf-like thing (sure its got a name) does the trick most days though.

They do. I'm not keen on being cold either, I get wrapped up real good when I'm out in the winter.

Don't like hot either, at least when it's cold you can put more layers on unlike in summer when there's no escape!

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Giro Fuse. Check out there website for a bunch of helmet models in pretty lame 'girl colours'.

The ear pads on the Fuse keep my ears totally warm, never any doubt about that. My helmet is black and too hot on a windless sunny day.

I need a new helmet for next season as one of the four attachment points for the strap has broken and the hard outer shell has begun to delaminate from the moulded inner high density foam. Neither of these failures make me want to get another Giro. But the Fuse is light and has excellent ventilation, unlike most other badly designed helmets. It is the best designed helmet I have found, although there are smaller brands producing good stuff in Europe these days (I see people wearing them but don't recognise the make or logo)

By the time spring arrived I stopped wearing my helmet except on steep rocky days, couloirs etc. If we are just hiking and riding around nice back country and I don't bother wearing it anymore.

Helmets are great when you crash in powder as your goggles and 'hat' stay on your head.