How do you rate them compared with, say, in Europe and in the States and other places?

When I go I find it quite amusing how relatively many people seem so obsessed with their technique at the expense, so it seems, of having fun. Maybe I've got that wrong...

On my school trip to Shiga the past couple of years I cant help but laugh how boring some of the other teachers make skiing eek.gif

My old principal (who retired this March) was an olympic alternate waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. His technique is perfect(ly boring). We have about 5 other teachers at school who are qualified ski instructors/Patrol etc in Japan but they only go for the perfect S carve...which quite frankly bores the shite outta me. My ski club boys love coming with me during lunch breaks and having me show them some stuff and its nice to hear my ski club boys saying they wish I was their instructor instead of the principal \:D

The attitude here needs to progress more (quickly). We need more Endo Junpeis, Okazaki Shoyas, Sasaki Daisukes, and the likes to get Japanese outta the boring carve 10 times, stop, wait, watch 10 people come down, then carve 10 times, stop, wait, bla bla bla...

I get bored to tears sometimes watching 99% of the general population skiing here... the 1% are my mates that I ski with and snowboard with \:D

I sometimes wonder if people are actually enjoying themselves or just being there for some other reason. It's hard to understand what any other reason could be though, unless they're being competitive about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:
it being that japanese are so methodological (spelling??)...?

everything has to have a system, a set of processes; and this includes skiing..

hhhmmm...
Can anybody say military?? This country is still run like everybody is in the military.

Kiritsu

Rei

"onegaishimasu"

Chakuseki

How often do you hear that??
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
 Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:
it being that japanese are so methodological (spelling??)...?

everything has to have a system, a set of processes; and this includes skiing..

hhhmmm...
Can anybody say military?? This country is still run like everybody is in the military.

Kiritsu

Rei

"onegaishimasu"

Chakuseki

How often do you hear that??
EVERY work morning in a traditional japanese company (which is the majority) during the CHOREI...

\:D

Actually, most of my western ski buds tend to piss and moan about "shitty" snow conditions on anything but a perfect powder day, my Japanese friends and I have a blast in any snow condition. Hard pack--even ice--is fast and incredibly fun if you actually know how to set a real edge, and that begins with those by-the-book S turns. I often wish more of my "advanced" western friends would take a few lessons and improve their technique so they could keep up and stop bitching so much on those less-than-perfect-powder days.

btw: Just because we Westerners are raised to be allergic to discipline and convention doesn't necessarily mean they are bad things. Let's not be petty and racist.

>Let's not be petty and racist.

Yup, Im a racist :rolleyes:

Because some parts of J-skiing bores the $hit outta me Im a racist? What a stooopid comment ta make :rolleyes:

I love skiing and enjoy all conditions. Doesnt have to be waist deep powder though thats what many people prefer.

Bombing down under the lift skiers left of Nescafe at Happo you can see skiers here going one at a time watching their friends make S turns. Not my cup of tea watching everybody come down the mountain one at a time. Maybe the skiers are older, maybe they enjoy the group thing, maybe the long breaks allow them to ski longer cuz they dont have the endurance to ski hard - whatever, thats fine. I give two thumbs up to anybody out there skiing and boarding and having a good time.

Just because thats not my cup of tea and take the piss outta em doesnt make me a racist :rolleyes:

Sometimes the racist accusation pops up way too esily (generally, not just here). It's as if critisisms are not allowed and always get put into that basket.

I often admire how the Japanese go about things. Myself, I'm not interested in 1kyu, 2kyu and the like. I'm just out to have some fun and enjoy myself.

Look CB, I-A-C, Were the comments racist? probably not, but I have seen threads start like that and end up in some really over-the-line comments.

Rather than criticise "the Japanese way," and phrasing the criticism (as most gaijin do) as a write-off of the entire (er, excuse me 99% of the) population, why not turn the mirror around and take a critical look at yourself and other westerners. Why do westerners (particularly Americans) tend to be so damn critical of others anyway question.gif ?

learning to ski properly isn't necessarily about having fun in and of itself, its about unlocking the potential to have even more fun free skiing-- and learning doesn't end when the 30 minute lesson or school ski trip is over. . .

lol.gif I know thats not directed at me but still find it funny.

Ive been writing on this forum for over 5 years and dont think Ive said anything racist about Japan(ese) nor about other countries, or people on this site for that matter.

Think the only person Ive got into with on a few occasions is Ocean11, whos quite fun to argue/debate with - most people are fully aware of his debate skills ;\)

>"Why do westerners (particularly Americans) tend to be so damn critical of others anyway"

Says the pot to the kettle.

What? Other nationalities arent critical of others? How many Canadians are on this board and just as critical. Kiwis and Aussies arent critical? HA! lol.gif Thats funny. You sound quite critical of Americans right now. Geeze, what a racist you are :p ;\)

Yes, Im American. Am I cricital? Maybe. Is it harmful or derogatory? Dont think so T.B. Wasnt ever trying to be.

Youre absolutely right that having technique is important. no argument there. Its just, and Im sure others notice it too, that sometimes Japanese tend to put too much emphisis on the skill/test rather than just having fun IMHO.

Yehhh yehh yehh GO! Someone is having an argument and it's not FT and me... phew!

Back to the topic, on the last blast at Happo - the last last last powder day up there at the end of April when it snowed again, i couldn't help but laugh at a whole crew of snowboarders (obviously part of some kind of club) on Kurobishi, who were riding moguls.... like seriously they were in a raceboard mogul club or something... and they kept on stacking it. It was the funniest thing i had seen up there (apart from those pesky formation ski people, who also sometimes like to frequent Kurobishi in their hoards) - and i couldn't help but think they had got it all wrong... ummmmm snowboard + unexpected april pow = probably a spanking good time, compared to trying (badly) to ride moguls on a snowboard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:

What? Other nationalities arent critical of others? How many Canadians are on this board and just as critical. Kiwis and Aussies arent critical? HA! lol.gif
What are you implying CB? That us Aussies are critical?!? Geez you Americans give me the shits! Always trying to drag others into your arguments and problems! Can't just keep to yourselves. Also, ever heard of the phrase "Loud American"? Wankers, the lot of you! (pronounced wankas not wankurrs!)

lol.gif :p :p ;\)

Speaking of moguls at Happo. . . The one and only time I skied there (and there will be no second, except maybe for the bc), the mogul fields looked like this:

sadglass.gif sadglass.gif

The entire day, there was literally a person either crashed into or standing on every single mogul waiting for the person below them to get out of the way. It looked like someone had cut a mogul field in the middle of a forest.

Now, I am an optimist, but what exactly about such a situation makes anyone think "hmm, looks fun. Think I'll give it go!" ????????????

I guess just part of the price you pay for hosting the Olympics.

(cb- 1: I never excluded myself from my comments. 2: critical thinking is the "virtue" that uni's emphasize most in the west, and particularly in the US--no big secret there. The longer I spend with my Japanese friends who do not complain about and criticise every little thing, the more I like it and am trying to emulate it. I'm no Mister Miyagi yet, but at least I'm trying. Let's bury this)

6:33. Time to hit to the trails.