amount of time and effort to become a good skier?

yeah i have always been sceptical about the "fast track to parallel" method that is being taught back home right now. at the same time i also think that a strict stem progression is a little outdated considering it was developed to teach parallel turns on wooden skiis with no edges and zero cambre.

so, in my opinion one should asses the individual skier and use a variety of methods. a wedge is still a helpful tool. but that being said, so is a wider parallel stance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone familiar with the PMTS© Direct Parallel Movements by Harald Harb of the Harb Ski Systems?

it would seem that he is against ALL forms of traditional ski teaching (ie., everything starts from teaching the wedge/snow plow)...

Quote:
is anyone familiar with the PMTS© Direct Parallel Movements by Harald Harb of the Harb Ski Systems?

I had a look at the site - there are even online lessons. Im not going to knock anything I havent tried but they seem to promote skiing with your feet very close together - in most of the pictures their feet are literally almost touching!

g4anim1.gif

sorry about the moving pic but I couldn't find any good still examples.

p.s I got it from here http://www.harbskisystems.com/olg4.htm

From experience I can stay their stuff works, though I wasn't a beginner when I started however I've heard of beginners skiing parallel on greens very very quickly. They focus on footwork - two-footed skiing from the very start. They're into edge transference rather than than specifically a narrow stance, that just seems to be a by-product of the movements. Certainly feels stable. If you're turning at high speeds your feet are going to be further apart than those pics due to stronger angles.

looks very austrian. i wonder if they encourage students to sit back against their boots and wiggle their butt as much as possible too? oh yeah, don't forget to throw your arms as high as possible over your head when making pole plants.

I do this for fun, that's it. I'm not fussed about having perfect technique or things like that. I found that I progressed quite quickly through my love of the fun of it and not trying too hard to pin down certain techniques.

I have a friend who went for tons of lessons and went for badge tests and all - and ended up not enjoying the experience. Whats the point of that?

I'm not saying lessons are a bad thing, they're probably a really good thing, just going too far with it all ain't good.

hi all...

if you guys remember me, im the one that started this thread - and well, id just let you guys know that i just passed my SAJ Badge Test for 3-Kyu (Hakuba Happo-One Nakiyama Course)...!!!

if you're not familiar with it, 3-Kyu requires parallel short turns, parellel long turns in beginner/intermediate course, and a free run also in a beginner/intermediate course. the main point being able to perform connected turns...

passing score for each subject is 60 points - and i scored 60 for ST, 66 for LT, and 64 for free...!! (personally, i think that the kentei-nin was being nice because i felt i really sucked in STs!!!)

but at least, it gives me some form of motivation to strive harder for the next level... well, i guess it may only be me; but i feel that what excites me in skiing is doing it beautifully and efficiently...

cheers!!!

congradulations!

now get out there and enjoy yourself.

i think the best lesson i ever had involved one small tip and a full day of solid skiing with an amazing skier that just asked me what i was thinking about while on the lifts. thank you don kjorvn.

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
congradulations!
now get out there and enjoy yourself.
i think the best lesson i ever had involved one small tip and a full day of solid skiing with an amazing skier that just asked me what i was thinking about while on the lifts. thank you don kjorvn.
thanks a lot...

yes! im really happing - as ive said, i just started skiing this season, enjoyed it, and grab all opportunity to ski... and sooner or later, here i am doing long parallels.

it is not pretty, and my form really breaks down in not-so-good snow conditions, but, im now cruising down intermediate courses (even advanced intermediate courses in happo-one) in a non-wedge manner...

and im so happy...!!!

i guess for me this is skiing - fast, efficient, and at least pretty (i like creating those curving lines in new snow)...

..... i wonder, am i overdoing this? because for one, i cant seem to stop wanting to ski, and ill try for a higaeri to Gala this saturday...

I was lucky to have 2 full weeks the first time I went, and I was with a really good teacher for most of the time. We had a lot of fun and I learnt so much.

I reckon after that I quickly became a decent rider and have just gone out to enjoy myself without worrying about lessons or technique since.

• 1 month later...

I was originally really put off skiing by the lessons I had when I was at ski camp - it was less about fun and more about sticking to uninteresting technique. One of the reasons I chose to pick up a board when I got the chance to be near snow again.

I'm planning on getting some skiing in as well though next season and have best of both.

Quote:
Originally posted by sanjo:
There's a lot of that technique over fun going on here (don't know about other places). It should be FUN.
well... wouldnt it be more fun if you can ski in more ways, in different slopes, in different rhymthms (spelling??), in different courses, etc. (as opposed to skiing in one pattern)? and this can only be achieved by getting at least the basic technique...

\:D

Definitely. I think sanjo is referring to the obsession of getting 1kyu and the like over having fun. I know of a few people who have turned against winter sports after having getting overloaded with technical crap and losing the fun.

Quote:
Originally posted by IIIII:
Definitely. I think sanjo is referring to the obsession of getting 1kyu and the like over having fun. I know of a few people who have turned against winter sports after having getting overloaded with technical crap and losing the fun.
yes - after today's ski trip... i guess, for me, im just trying to hard... and honestly, im finally, maybe losing the fun...

and, i really appreciate these posts - knocked some sense into my head...

WTS, I've joined a lesson for SAJ 1kyu skiers before. To be honest, they are not so great skiers and lack of confidence. I realized that SAJ Badge Test doesn't mean anything. They don't know how to enjoy skiing and spend so much money and time just for passing the test. This is very Japanese...

Take it easy. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Experiment IV:
What do they get this 1kyu for? To become an instructor or something?
essentially, the main objective of the "badge tests" (as they call it) is to judge your skiing ability. the badge tests range from "5-Kyu (lowest) to 1-Kyu (Highest)"... it is just like the colored belts we have in the martial arts.

and once you get your 1-Kyu, you can choose which track to go from there, ie., as an "instructor," or as an "competitive athlete."

for being an instructor, there are TWO more levels - "Associate Instrutor," and "Full Instructor."

for the latter, you have the "Technical Prize," then the "Crown Prize."

ALSO, note that Japan is a very "certificate-oriented" country, there are certificates for ALMOST everything; and well, it seems like some sort of jiman (or something to be proud of), etc.

Seems very similar to our swimming certificates in Aus. People don't laugh at those and are quite proud of being able to say they are a bronze medallion (1kyu equivalent). I guess it's not just Japan that has those things. I should point out though, that the swimming levels in Aus are also closely linked to surf rescue and safety, cpr, etc. So it is also about being able to help people in trouble.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
Seems very similar to our swimming certificates in Aus. People don't laugh at those and are quite proud of being able to say they are a bronze medallion (1kyu equivalent). I guess it's not just Japan that has those things. I should point out though, that the swimming levels in Aus are also closely linked to surf rescue and safety, cpr, etc. So it is also about being able to help people in trouble.
well to work as a ski patrol here in japan, as i would remember; one has to have an 1-Kyu PLUS a certificate in basic rescue (CPR, etc.)