They only get overwhelmed on rare occasions. I'm always amazed myself when I see how well they often cope in the blizzards. I think the other week was just a bit too much when things went down.

How many of those great big snow removing machines do places like Hakuba and Yuzawa and the like actually own? And what do the drivers do in summer? They will surely need some special training for those things.

• 1 month later...

That's a good question giggsy. I've been following this for a while.

soubriquet_66.JPG

The sprinkler sytems work well, but wastes groundwater.

soubriquet_67.JPG

They are being replaced by (groundwater) heated roads and pavements.

soubriquet_68.jpg

On the open roads, graders hunt in packs.

soubriquet_69.jpg

In town, loaders rule.

soubriquet_71.JPG

Blowers clear up, and six-wheel tippers dump snow in the river.

soubriquet_73.JPG

And people work.

soubriquet_100.jpg

And work and work.

Quote:
Originally posted by lin:
How many of those great big snow removing machines do places like Hakuba and Yuzawa and the like actually own? And what do the drivers do in summer? They will surely need some special training for those things.
In a sense lin, we are well off in the high snow areas, because the local authorities and contractors have to be well equipped. I don't know haw many machines Oishida has, but it's enough to keep the town open. They normally clear the roads twice per day.

The drivers (sometimes women) are mostly farmers, finding useful paid employment during the winter.

What I wish they'd do in summer (more with the resort equipment than the road clearing kit) is to apply the machines to their original purpose and grade off some of those flat areas that seem to plague every resort in japan...

back on topic though, a friend of mine exports used construction equipment from japan, and for the first time this year has been inundated with orders from inside the country for large pushy machines...

Partner has asked for a clarification. The plant (grader and loader) drivers are full-time professionals. They work in construction during the summer. Apparently it is very easy to wear out a blade. The trick is to shave the road, without wearing the blade.

The farmers are driving trucks and directing traffic.

• 3 months later...

I found this about the groundwater heating of roads and pavements.

2412p18if.gif

Source:

http://www.thr.mlit.go.jp/bumon/b00097/k00360/yuki1219/yuki_e/2_4_1_2_a.html

Water is pumped from a deeper (warmer) aquifer during winter and the cooled water is re-injected back into a higher (cooler) aquifer. In summer, the system is reversed, and cool water is pumped up, extracts heat from roads and pavements, and re-injected into the lower aquifer to heat it. This is a lovely heat/cold storage system, as pumping costs are much lower than heating and cooling. It is a closed system, so it doesn't waste groundwater either thumbsup.gif