• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats sad is the fact that the magical days of Niseko are gone. No more endless powder even mid-afternoon. Now, all the powder is gone before 11am.

Too many foreigners, especially the ones who come here to get powder, drink like fish, fight, and add further damage to the already sterotypical views J-peeps have of gaijin.

The Niseko I knew and loved is gone.

Beautiful video, love the quotes-

"It's uncrowded"- about 5 years ago maybe?

"Deep Powder"- if you get up at 4 in the morning to beat the crowds which will pack it down nicely by 11am.

"It's even stunning in summer"- as we repair the damage caused in winter by hoards of drunken foreigners with little or no respect for different cultures.

Maybe I should book now to avoid the rush? ;\)

Don't you think it's good that Niseko now has it's own Japanesque logo?

A quick flick through the site suggests rather heavy stress on skiing - I didn't see the word 'snowboard', or a picture of a snowboarder on any of the pages I saw.

I like this page best.

"Imagine walking deep into the forest, reading wild animal tracks and listening to the sounds of the wilderness….the secret nature of the Hanazono area comprises of beautiful natural forest."

Won't that be the sound of "the guest seeking a more dynamic experience" on the nearby pollutionmobile racetrack? It'll also be the sound of twangy accents that can't quite get the hang of proper English usage.

"The tour includes ... shoes and a tour guide." Shoes are very important on this tour, one gathers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stag:
What a bunch of drama queens. Its not nearly as bad as you are all making out. Its pretty hard to not have a good time if you go there.
Sure, nothing has changed there in the 6 years Ive been skiing there :rolleyes:

I'm glad to have the memories of what it was but I'm not going again (unless someone pays me to) because there are better places that have not been as discovered and spoilt as up there. Sounds like it's turning into some kind of circus. No thanks.

The story of Niseko is not unlike what happened to the magical waves of Bali. After being discovered by Aussies, it was soon marketed and built upon. Bali has always been a place for young aussies to go and party. It seems Niseko is the winter version of Bali. But for those who seek adventure, the returns are great. Maybe we should let niseko be and challenge ourselves to find something new. There is much more to Japan than Niseko Hirafu.

Yamakashi, if I had wanted to say "Yamakashi, nothing in Niseko has changed in the last 6 years that you have been skiing there" I would have said "Yamakashi, nothing in Niseko has changed in the last 6 years that you have been skiing there"

but I didnt want to say that because that isn't true. what I wanted to say was "Its not nearly as bad as you are all making out." so to do that I typed "Its not nearly as bad as you are all making out."

and a few rolling eyes right back at ya :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and one of these for good measure \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Won't that be the sound of "the guest seeking a more dynamic experience" on the nearby pollutionmobile racetrack? It'll also be the sound of twangy accents that can't quite get the hang of proper English usage.
Surely you must be referring to the NZ'ers? :p

Perhaps it's just the regular fly in Yanks from Guam/Hawaii, and the odd UK/US person not content with skiing 'their part of the world'? ;\)

Change is inevitable when a place is advertised and marketed - it boils down to the Japanese politicians managing the situation for their peoples' needs. I hope they get it right and don't let the area be bought out by foreigners.

Are there lots of fights every night in Niseko? You people make it sound like the Wild West!

That Niseko bloke is no Victor Kiam, is he. He should pay someone else to do his advertising. If they're charging one million yen for a fake woodstove in their MDF and breezeblock apartments, you would think they could afford someone a bit more slick.

Seriously though, if anyone is coming to Japan at Christmas, Hokkaido is your best bet for decent snow. It can still be well ropey on Honshu. If you're sick of Niseko, there are other places in Hokkaido, you know.

That add looked more like it was being marketed towards the 40 something and above group. I have a feeling hanazono will be the pricey side and hirafu will be the budget side.

The avie control bit made me laugh though.