Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Gortex isn't all it's cracked to be as well
It eventually leaks as well And only works well if the pores are clean and the water beads. Once the face fabric loses it's waterproofness it's pretty much just a rain jacket
Gotta disagree there T-Man - been using two G-Tex jackets for twenty years and they're still going strong. Sure, GT does get less porous with the build up of dirt/body oils, etc, but if ya wash it in a low phosphorus powder/liquid (rinse well), then after it's dry give it a careful run-over with a warm iron, it'll be as good as new, though depending on wear, it may need a spray with silicon to improve the water repellency of the outer fabric. (Remember, there are two main types - 2 and 3 layer - ALWAYS go for the 3 layer).

Also, the outer fabric matters - heavy weight for mountaineering/ski pants, probably get away with mid weight for jackets.

GT can delaminate - which generally means it's cactus. Also, it is useless in areas with high humidity.

Some chemical membranes work well too - got an eight-year-old Columbia jacket that's still motoring along, but like most things, it will eventually die at the most inopportune moment!

I agree with Subzero on Goretex too. My running suit that Ive had since my first year high school is a 3 layer G-tex. It rocks. That thang has run around the globe at least once and is probably the only article of clothing that Ive had since 1990 - 15 years and going strong. Asics makes some quality stuff.

I know it's good. But you have to remember that there are other products out there that are just as good. Some of the major clothing manufacturers are using all sorts of membrane materials for their top of the line jackets.

Just cause it says gor-tex doesn't mean it will be bomber.

In heavy rain the face fabric will get wet and stop beading water. When this happens the gor-tex membrane is useless for breathability. Should still be waterproof but doesn't breath.