Hi all,

Planning for a trip with my wife to Hokkaido hoping to take up some ski lessons. Was looking at Kiroro but unfortunately couldn't get the mountainside accommodation for the the dates.

Next would be NIseko Village or Hirafu. Not sure which one will be a safer choice though in terms of resort opening and when the ski school starts for the season. Any suggestions?

We're pretty open to other ski resort suggestions as well as long as there's convenient accommodation to the slopes.

Thanks I'm advance.

I think some of the resorts set their opening dates for around then but dunno how often they hit those days.....I know in Honshu almost no resorts have enough natural snow at that time of year....Hokkaido could be different of course

I think you'd find that even if there was a lot of snow on the slopes in November, the lifts won't be open 'til early to mid December in Niseko. Hirafu would be the first to open, followed by Higashiyama ("village").

Go Native and MikePow would be the experts on this.

Generally you'll have something available late November. Kokusai, Kiroro, Hirafu probably your best bets. Last year we had a great day at Rusutsu on Nov 23rd. Nakayama Touge is often the first to open, but it's pretty small.

It's a gamble though, you'll just have to keep your fingers crossed for a good early start to the winter.

Sorry, didn't read the full brief. If you're needing accommodation next to the ski jo, you're looking at Hirafu, or possibly Rusutsu. Don't think Village or the other areas of Niseko open that early.

I think you'd find that even if there was a lot of snow on the slopes in November, the lifts won't be open 'til early to mid December in Niseko. Hirafu would be the first to open, followed by Higashiyama ("village").

Go Native and MikePow would be the experts on this.

That's not true for Hirafu or Annupuri. They often open in late Nov. One year when we had big early falls the lifts opened on 19th Nov. Niseko Village on the other hand generally doesn't open till later. Same with Hanazono.

Still late Nov is a bit of gamble. There's virtually no snowmaking in Niseko so if the natural falls are a bit sparse early on nothing will be open. Some years you'll be fine and some you won't. Your risk to take.

I have booked accommodation at a lodge next to the beginners slope of the Hirafu Resort in Niseko for the end of November. Although I was worried about going so early they told me that the ski lifts are scheduled to open on the 23rd. They also said there was a decent amount of powder at the same time last year when the resort opened and that there are not many people around and that everyone was having a great time. I was warned though that not all of the restaurants and shops are open that early in the season. I'm going for the snow so I am not really to concerned.

Bear in mind, the advertised opening dates are generally best case scenario. if there's not enough natural snow, they won't open as there's no snowmaking. The past couple of years were good early seasons. The season before that was really late and very little/nothing opened till early December.

I remember being at Kiroro in the rain and seeing very depressed people getting bussed in from Niseko as nothing was open there. That was around Dec 8/9th.

It's really a gamble before mid December. Chances are you'll be able to ski/board, but it might not be pow, and it might not be in Niseko.

Wasn't able to ski on my birthday last season - too much wind closed the lifts.

The skiing at Hirafu, Niseko Village and Kiroro last November and early December was excellent.

Sunshine and powder and a fair bit of terrain open.

It can be a late start on Hokkaido but in my experience I've been able to ski lift accessed terrain every November I've been on the island (4 times in the past 6 seasons).

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/22197-sr-shiribeshi-stories-hokkaido-201213/page__st__20

Powderman,

May I know which accom you're booked into?? Been trying to book some accommodation around hirafu but most open on the 1st.

Will take a gamble on the dates. Just hoping that there'll ski rentals and ski school operating pre season.

Thanks for the advice everyone!! Have a great season ahead..

Is there some particular reason you MUST go in late November?

If not, you'd be wise to wait until mid December (if already in Japan) and until second week of January (if coming from Australia).

Unfortunately that'll be the only period which i could take time off. Was initially planning to just stay in Osaka. But juz kinda realized that skiing might be possible. Will be there again in March or April for the snow.

I've actually just received news from the hotel that no ski schools/ski rentals will be open in november ( booked for nov 28-dec 2 instead ). Can anyone confirm this?? Or i'll still have a chance?? If not it'll actually mean that i'll need to think of some way to get those skis from sapporo.

Thanks.

Although the ski schools may not be fully operational you should be able to organize private lessons. Same with ski rental, you'll be able to organize something. What 'hotel' gave you that advice?

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks all for the advice. Got a reply from the resort ski school finally. They'll be open for private lessons on the 23rd onwards based on the resort estimated start date... hopefully...

Booked into the Vale... Guess the guys were referring to their inhouse ski schools....

All set to go.. Have a great season ahead!!!