• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So ... you can turn upside down and do two things at once. Woo Hoo!

Now THAT'S a cavalcade of crap.

I have an inverter. and a double adaptor.

Are they British and do they read the Daily Mail or the Daily Express?

No, not this.

Any idea why?

My own parents read those newspapers and the message is an unrelenting "country is going to the dogs" one. They are very depressing to read. Much more so than simply watching tv news even.

I really don't know.

Just seems to be a general 'when you get old' thing to me.

I want to know how to avoid it though. I'll keep away from those 'news'papers.

I don't really think you can avoid it. It's all relative to your own and others's changing standards.

Example:

When dining I would appreciate the time I have with my friends and family. We'd talk, drink, engage.

What I saw today I just found absolutely unacceptable. In the restaurant, on the table next to ours was a group of 3 couples all over 40 as far as I could tell. After greeting each other, they ordered, settled down and fell silent. Why did they fall silent?

Each person was engaged with their smartphones. All six adults had withdrawn into their cyberspace while waiting for their meal to arrive.

I just shook my head. What is this world turning into. (<-grumpy feelings)

I really don't know.

My own folks have been worn down by a combination of health niggles and in my mother's case, a bad experience with the old people's home my grandmother was in and the way it was handled by them and the authorities. Those newspapers aren't a main cause, but they do provide plenty of bad news to talk about, especially stuff about immigrants.

I really don't know.

My own folks have been worn down by a combination of health niggles and in my mother's case, a bad experience with the old people's home my grandmother was in and the way it was handled by them and the authorities. Those newspapers aren't a main cause, but they do provide plenty of bad news to talk about, especially stuff about immigrants.

You're right they are not the main cause but they almost encourage a bleak outlook on life and peddle poison.

They really do have a lot to answer for.

If present day oldies are grumpy, get them to look at what is coming for people retiring soon or in the future. Compared to three years ago, the same pension (annuity) now costs 30% more compared to three years ago. Or more realistically, the same savings will get you whatever the sum is, I guess 3/13 less, per week to retire on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/apr/23/falling-annuity-rates-cost-retirement

Quite a few not on the "job ladder" are there because they chose to do an "easy" degree that has no specific outcome intent.

Apocryphal stories around Aus about Arts grads (you know with a BA in nothing coherent) driving taxis. The reason is because their degree has no employment focus. Far too many degrees with too many options and nowhere to go when finished.

For many, though, a degree is not their best employment option. Their better choice would be to go into the trades (building, plumbing, sparky etc) because these people are ALWAYS in demand, and will always make more money that many degree qualified people over their lifetime.

What is this 'job ladder' you speak of? When I did my degree I was only doing subjects that I found interesting. It had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with getting a job at the end of it. In fact during my university years getting a job was something I never really thought much about at all. I knew I wanted to travel lots after uni and that's what I did. Some of us just haven't spent their lives worrying about working and careers. Most of the guys who left their home countries to come live in Japan are like that. It's not like teaching english is an awesome career choice now is it? For most it's just a way to get the visa to let you live in Japan. I didn't work in a ski resort for 7 years because it was a good career move. I did it because I've never given a toss about career but I had always wanted to live in a ski resort. We didn't buy a nursery business because I have any great desire to be a big, successful business person. We did it because it's an industry and work that we both enjoy. Getting an education though is something I'll never regret and is something, regardless of your career path afterwards, I believe is very worthwhile. Working for a living has never been something I've found overly worthwhile. It's just a necessary pain in the butt.

What is this 'job ladder' you speak of? When I did my degree I was only doing subjects that I found interesting. It had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with getting a job at the end of it. In fact during my university years getting a job was something I never really thought much about at all. I knew I wanted to travel lots after uni and that's what I did. Some of us just haven't spent their lives worrying about working and careers. Most of the guys who left their home countries to come live in Japan are like that. It's not like teaching english is an awesome career choice now is it? For most it's just a way to get the visa to let you live in Japan. I didn't work in a ski resort for 7 years because it was a good career move. I did it because I've never given a toss about career but I had always wanted to live in a ski resort. We didn't buy a nursery business because I have any great desire to be a big, successful business person. We did it because it's an industry and work that we both enjoy. Getting an education though is something I'll never regret and is something, regardless of your career path afterwards, I believe is very worthwhile. Working for a living has never been something I've found overly worthwhile. It's just a necessary pain in the butt.

I don't actually think that JA was specifically talking about your good fine self, Go Native.

I did the same at Uni......studied something that I was interested in but didn't really think it would be my career path. Thats because I had no idea what i wanted to be, I wanted to travel as well. Teaching english sucks ass, but again I don't know what else I can do over here that would be more interesting. Its not the actual teaching that bothers me TBH, I love working with the kids, its more the thought of work that bugs me, so on that note I probably wouldn't be happy doing anything!! :p

University......its not for everyone, sometimes I wish I had done what JA suggested and got a trade instead but then i wouldn't have come over here, I probably wouldn't have travelled to as many countries and I'd probably be stuck at home doing the same things I always did......like the rest of my mates. :)

Horses for courses

I got a marine biology specific BSc...... After my English classes I can take the kiddy classes across the street to the beach and really impress them in my prowess around the tidal pools. :lol:

A sample of dudes living on the other side of the world to their home country, and an extremely different culture at that, is never going to be a representative sample of the general public is it. ;)

There are plenty of underemployed tradesmen in the UK now. My cousin, for example. He already does work at both ends of the country so "getting on his bike" or whatever is an exhausted option. Just wait till housing crashes in Australia and the same thing will happen there.

That said, I doubt I'll want to pay for my kids to do arts degrees. Not unless they are very very good at them. I'll try and push them into something more vocational. At least tack on an education subsid so they can teach.

My daughter's future education costs are already squared away from her grandmother here in Japan but I'm not really a proponent of the parents/grandparents paying for it all. I payed my way although my parents were always there if I really needed them to help out with my rent or unexpected costs and the like. My loans were pretty hefty but I paid them off and I think it made me better for it.

In hindsight I should have gone to the trades and not the academic route.