Rading the Powder forum quite often and came across a thread that got me thinking.

The Powder forum peoples have come up with a saying to ask people at the resorts to determine if they are Powder Forum participators.

The saying is "got change for a nickel?"

Now while this holds very little meaning to those not in the know it is a powerful comrade call.

There seems to be a lot of "I'll be the one with the purple jacket..." or "look for the big guy on the fish board..." etc. when talking about hitting the slopes and perhaps meeting up.

I think it would be a good idea if SJ forum participants came up with a call for fellow foreginers on the slopes to determine comrade or requires education.

Any cool ideas?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about "shu-ju" (SJ)

That really is crap isn't it? Any better ideas?

Lets face it, a large % of the foreigners on the snow will know about this site anyway probably...

This is not an excercise in getting people to use the site, but getting to know people who do use the site.

Of course those uneducated people will quickly be educated \:D

Thought about that, but that requires mulla and time on other's parts.

Of course if they are free and our SJ Gods are in abundance of them I will certainly take one!

• SnowJapan Admin

BigSausage

You are right, in reality actually only a very small % of people who log onto and read the SJ Forums actually post messages here.

That is pretty much the 'norm' for online forums, by all accounts. Interestingly, the increase in activity on the forums almost directly reflects the increase in popularity of the site in general. ie. the % of people using the forums who actually join in and post hasn't really altered that much in the last few years (an actual slight increase). The forums have seen a big increase in activity last season and even more this year, reflecting the increase in popularity and usage of the site.

This again, it seems, is a fairly common phenomena for online forums.

:rolleyes: Creepy...

How about a mystery handshake like the Masons? Retract your hand inside your jacket sleeve so it can't be seen, then put out your 'hand' for a handshake. If matey looks baffled, he or she is a muggle.

• SnowJapan Admin

Maybe quite a few reasons. Of course a popular and active forum is a good reason for more people to keep on coming back and join in themselves, and that probably has a lot to do with the continued increase over the last year or so.

It seems lots of people suddenly decide to register and start posting after only reading the forum for (literally) years. It would be interesting to know what makes them do that \:\)

As they do that, all the time we are getting new people coming to the site for the first time as our readership continues to increase rather quickly - poor, tired, Mr Bandwidth eek.gif . (That's also seen a sharp increase over the last few months with our new Japanese site). Many of them start off as 'read-only' users, some of course sign in and log on straight away.

I found out about this website in 2000 and read the forum a bit but never posted until 2002. Dont know why, just suddenly wanted to talk about snow stuff with people and as O11 says most of the peeps round here seemed to be "muggles".