Stupid question but what makes something... prefab?

That's not a stupid question! Its very common now. All of the framing for our place was cut offsite. It makes more sense to have a machine do it in a factory.

The German-made Huf Houses are entirely prefabbed and are super high quality. I think the problem with some Japanese houses is fake and/or synthetic materials, often sold with some blurb about being maintenance free. The prefabbing of houses itself isn't a problem.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

You must be very excited Dumbstick! How long is your mortgage going to be for? 30 years? How much are you looking at putting up to cut down on your monthly payments if you don't mind me asking? I know many questions become too personal when it comes to $$$ etc, so don't worry if you don't want to answer.

Thanks yes. We're going to pay for the house 100% on completion... so no mortgage.

We are luckily able to do that, and I just hate the idea of giving banks my money.

Lucky you!

That would certainly make things simple.

Would love to get a house but need to decide where my future is more firmly first.

Here's a question for folks who have moved.

Moving out of an apartment after quite a number of years. Lots of things kind of 'worn' that will need replacing etc.

After being in a place for a long time, these things are surely expected.

What to expect when we move out in terms of cost? I wonder if that initial bulk of cash will cover that kind of thing.

I suppose it's something we'll only find out... when we move.

At the moment, you can borrow 20 million yen for under 17,000 yen a month interest (20 year term).

That interest payment includes life insurance for the remaining principal, and will also get you an income tax break.

All in all, it's not a bad time to have a mortgage if you need one.

Here's a question for folks who have moved.

Moving out of an apartment after quite a number of years. Lots of things kind of 'worn' that will need replacing etc.

After being in a place for a long time, these things are surely expected.

What to expect when we move out in terms of cost? I wonder if that initial bulk of cash will cover that kind of thing.

I suppose it's something we'll only find out... when we move.

We didn't actually buy that much new stuff immediately when we moved. I think the dinner table was the major new expense, but even that was optional -- we were just sick of the old one. Custom-made a couple of small pieces of needed furniture myself, gradually bought new things in the years afterwards. So, I'd say it will only cost you up front what you want it to cost, really.

Actually, MO, I wasn't meaning that. I didn't explain well.

I'm saying that in the old apartment we will be leaving, some things are worn out. When they "do it up" for the next person, it'll cost. For example, some big scratches on the floor, bit of rotted wood around some windows etc.

So I'm wondering how lenient they usually are on wear and tear, or will we be getting a scary bill.

Just wondering if there is any kind of guidelines for wear and tear, perhaps after so many years.

:)

Actually, MO, I wasn't meaning that. I didn't explain well.

I'm saying that in the old apartment we will be leaving, some things are worn out. When they "do it up" for the next person, it'll cost. For example, some big scratches on the floor, bit of rotted wood around some windows etc.

So I'm wondering how lenient they usually are on wear and tear, or will we be getting a scary bill.

Just wondering if there is any kind of guidelines for wear and tear, perhaps after so many years.

:)

Ah. In that case, expect to get screwed to the maximum extent possible.

Twenty man-yen, say?

It depends on the landlord AND how close they are with the estate agent. We've been guaranteed 100k back.....only 2 years in the place so obviously not as much wear and tear as perhaps yourself, Dumbstick. That's after a guaranteed total of 60k (that we paid when we moved in) to cover cleaning a fb tatami repair.

I seem to remember someone saying that after a certain time of renting (10 years) then there's some guidlines about acceptable wear and tear and as long as you haven't wrecked the place, you will be ok.

Then again, I might well have been totally imagining that!!

Last time I moved I was ok. I even got a bit of cash back from my initial payment which surprised me.

I suppose it depends on the condition you give it back in.

I can see it being a situation open to 'abuse' though.

This one is a mixed bag and some people can take the piss.

My worst one personally was when damage to caused by rising damp was subtracted. Some of it was to tatami, which lots of people who think they know about renting says is what the reikin payment is for. If a landlord is seriously pushing their luck, get the shohisha center people onto them. Maybe the threat of doing it will be enough for them to back down.

I would have had a worse experience with the last place I rented but the real estate people took our side and threw out the list of damage the landlord knocked up. His list was full of spurious costs like 30,000 yen to adjust the hinge on one internal door.

I forgot to add.

Avoiding more totally tedious bank-related paperwork is also worth the effort of gathering the cash and paying too.

;)

We were going to pay for our house outright in cash too, but after doing our maths, the amount of interest we will pay back will be less than the tax that we will be stung for, plus it keeps our bank account nice and healthy also.

When we moved into here we payed some key money, forget how much is was, its in the contract somewhere, but anyway, basically we considered that a payment that most probably won't be returned in full. But on the other hand we also don't expect to pay any extra for anything as it is contracted that this some is to cover repair costs, etc should there be any.

If we get it back or some of it that will be a bonus that is how I see it.

Tatami mats regardless of condition are always changed before the new tenants move in, which is what some of that key money is for.

After 4 years of wear and tear and two dogs jumping around in our living room the wall paper is looking a bit on the tatty side, which is to be expected I guess.

Other than that the house is all good, just before we move out I shall make sure everything is in order and clean and see how we go on getting some of our key money back.

Paying in cash this year helped me negotiate over half a million yen off the cost, possibly more.

I fail to see any real benefits of not paying up if I can afford it.

I haven't been convinced otherwise.

I end up being simply better off paying and getting it over with, and at the same time not giving evil banks a sniff of profit.

And I own my house.

Yes as everyone has a different idea of what is clean or acceptable condition. It is a bit of a grey area!

Last time I moved I was ok. I even got a bit of cash back from my initial payment which surprised me.

I suppose it depends on the condition you give it back in.

I can see it being a situation open to 'abuse' though.

Went to see another showroom house today.

Wow it was very kakkoi. Very modern. Stairway in the middle of the main LDK room, or to the side, and lots of little nooks and crannies that made it feel kind of unique.

Lots of expensive looking finishing going on too.

Kakkoi.

It was over 3500 man though without the land, so not cheap.

Looking at our plan now, makes it look rather simple!

It worked, but I don't think it's a place I'd like to live.

It was all a bit toooo designery showroomy, and not practical for my liking.

Staircase looked cool, but I don't think I want the staircase behind the telly and above me 2 floors of 'empty space'. Bet it costs a lot to heat.

We got some decent interior ideas out of the visit though.

Know what you mean.

Some designer like places might look great, and maybe fab for a holiday home or something, but whether you'd actually want to live there or not is another thing.

A long s they, and the walls holding em, are the same thickness as regular doors then sure, if u like em. But I always feel that sliding doors don't give you the privacy (sound wise) that regular doors do

They also tend to make more noise than hinged doors, which could be an issue if one person is a light sleeper and the other gets a craving to sneak down to the kitchen for a cheese sandwich in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, less chance of bumping into someone accidentally when opening one.