Who are you people? Whos doing my hakuba, myoko, nozawa, shiga kogen and sugadaira reports? are they even forum dudes at all? I assume the Yuzawa reports come from the SJ's, but who is doing the nagano ones? Just curious, not looking to hate on anyone.

Oooh, is it a closely guarded secret to stave off the hate? But what about the love? Where is the love?

• SnowJapan Admin

ippy, for a number of reasons, while it's not 'top secret', we prefer to not really reveal those details. But the reports get posted with our name on them, on our site, and a very large number of people read them every day and so it is very important to us that they are as good as possible.

We are here to 'take the blame' when a report is not posted 'on time' (??), someone disagrees with how many cm our report says has fallen, tells us that it's -2 degrees instead of -3 degrees, or doesn't like the colours on the page, etc.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone involved in the effort - it's a long season ahead, and it's a huge season-long effort.

And this is probably a good place to also say a few other things.

We appreciate other people not coming on here and posting other - commercial or otherwise, their own or someone elses - reports and blogs that might be out there in Japanese or English or whatever....

That's just not good manners.

And, oh yes another thing - the people posting the reports are actually human, with silly things like feelings, opinions, real lives to get on with, and also the ability to even sometimes make mistakes. We try to eliminate the latter and do our best to make sure the reports put on our site are done so in a timely manner, not in any way commercial and not showing any kind of bias. The bottom line is for our reports to tell it like it is, both the good and any bad. We're not trying to sell anyone anything, other than the latest updates. We even refuse requests for advertising on those report pages, that's how silly we are.

:thumbsup:

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone involved, it's a long season ahead.

And, I believe we ALL should thank them ... I certainly hope they're worked to the bone, but get to enjoy some truly epic snow this long season! :wub: :clap:

I don't think it's any secret I did the Niseko reports for most of the years I lived there. It's a big committment to write daily reports throughout what are pretty long seasons.

And all for nothing more than the love of it! ;)

Thanks to all those doing them this season. :thumbsup:

I don't think it's any secret I did the Niseko reports for most of the years I lived there. It's a big committment to write daily reports throughout what are pretty long seasons.

And all for nothing more than the love of it! ;)

Thanks to all those doing them this season. :thumbsup:

Never thanked you for the great job you did for us for those seasons. Must be real pressure to keep it up day after day. Thanks again.

i honestly have no idea whos doing what :) I thought those niseko reports came from that dude in moiwa who does the avi reports for niseko. So good work GN. Truth be told id hate to have to do them. There are some days where i just cant be ****ed looking at snow or giving the remotest crap about it. In niseko i can only imagine it was the inverse of this anyway:

how much could i theoretically say though? Its not snowing/snowing? All lifts are open. Have fun! Im not really one for details to be honest unless its omething uterly abstract and theoretical, then im all up in the face of details! KAPOW!

I appreciate the reports very much. The only thing that seems to get diluted a bit is what the wind is doing. I've been out and thinking to myself while hanging onto the lift...."Jesus, it's blowing a gale" when the report says "might be a little breezy up there". Other than that I've found them to be great...thanks guys.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes there's that kind of thing.

One of the problems is that of course conditions can also very quickly change soon after a report is posted and during the day.

And in one part of say Hakuba there might be 20cm new snow, in another area 30cm.  And someone will send in an email saying, no, it's 25cm.

:grandpa:

One part it's blowing that gale and in another it's much calmer.

Intend to try and cover these things and give a recap the next day.

Muzukashii desu ne.

One more thing to mention - disclaimer, please don't make your holiday plans based solely on what is said in a report.

Perhaps think of them as snapshots of the season from day to day.

;)

We will just do our best, ok?

:thumbsup:

Yes, David...Maybe "diluted" was a poor choice of wording. I wouldn't think it's intentional unless they were working for the resort... ;) Yes, wind is one of those things which is impossible to accurately report.

It does bother me that the resort will refuse a refund...partial even.. when the wind comes up at 10 in the am and 95% of the mountain is closed save the one bunny hill lift running at 1/4 speed. That's another topic though I guess.

• SnowJapan Admin

No, not working for a resort, and certainly not intentional.

And honestly we would edit something like that if it were to happen and we knew about it.

Letting us know about something like that is fine - by email, we don't want to need to spend time dealing with a public discussion on every single thing. You can perhaps imagine how frustrating that can become.

Having said that I remember a few seasons back there was this one guy who literally was emailing us every day picking up on something. It got a bit ridiculous.

I wouldnt worry so much, dude. I think most of us are aware that

1. Its a pain in the ass half the time (probably 90% of the time) researching and then writing a few paragraphs every day for (as you say) 5+ months. When youre up for it, you just want to go riding, and when you arent, do you really want to contribute to everyone elses stoke? No way! F*** those guys im playing warcraft!

2. Its a specific time of day thing. Im fairly sure most of us realise that its a snap shot from that time of day based on not always an actual full grasping of the conditions anyways. Its nice to get a rounded picture, but the idea that my little peeps busting their hump are phoning up ski patrol every day to find out measurements and the conditions on the hill as well as predicting how that will change throughout the day is a bit of a stretch.

3. Its handy though to give a general vague notion of the conditions.

So hats off to them (or "you" if youre reading this - whoever "you" are in your little fortress of solitude). Rather you than me though. But thanks for keeping at it :)

A mate of mine was doing the Nozawa reports back in 07/08. He gave me the honour of doing 4 or 5 while I was there. We worked in random words to change them up a bit. CAVOK was my favourite - Ceiling and Visibility OK

• SnowJapan Admin

I don't remember or know anything about that, but I sure hope you took them seriously and that we edited out anything that didn't make sense. And thank you. :friend:

It's difficult to work out the nuance of what you just said there from your comment...

Look, I said this before, but we're just not mad keen on discussing these kinds of details in public on here.

Not only because I don't think we need to do that, but also because it simply takes up our time responding - which we feel pretty much bound to if comments are made that need addressing - and we're somewhat tied up being extremely busy right now.

Please respect that.