Didn't there used to be loads of half pipes at skijo?

Are they just not the thing now or some other reason why in recent seasons there seem to be less.

I'm not saying this as someone who uses them, just noticed this and wondering...

Arent they just a massive drain on resources and terrain? Dont you also need one of those massive shaping machines as well? Seems a bit of a luxury if your resort is struggling and youre not really a park rat hole.

I love a half pipe and really wish there were more. The one at Hanazono in Niseko isn't bad in the springtime.

They're super expensive to build and maintain, and need daily cutting to be any good. A poorly built and maintained pipe is a waste of time.

Had some fun in a halfpipe once, but natural features are just as fun.

Maybe for boarders it is (or was) more exciting.

But the maintenance cost, I hadn't realized that either. Are other types of park features significantly cheaper to maintain?

May explain why Alts/Nekoma has shuttered their halfpipe for the time being, while focusing more on other types of park features instead.

A pipe needs a specific 'pipe dragon' attachment for a snow cat. Not a small investment. Normal jumps can be built with a standard snowcat's plow/tiller then shaped and maintained by hand.

Plus every time a pipe is shaped, it shaves off a few inches of snow, so it gets progressively wider. So several times a season it needs to be completely refilled and recut.

No real clue what kind of figures we're talking, but I imagine these days most Japanese ski-jos are just focused on getting enough punters through the door to cover the electricity bill. Can't see a half pipe being realistically in the budget for many.

Problem is with so many places that they just keep cutting back on services leaving things very bare and sad looking.

I suppose if you are that strapped you have no choice, but I suppose some people will go to a skijo because it has a half pipe...

• 2 weeks later...