Hi there,

my partner and I are travelling to japan in mid November- early December. We are planning on staying for 2 and a half weeks. Originally we hoped to work in a pleasant mix of sightseeing with a bit of skiing, but I've realized from reading around that I may have failed to do my research before booking flights, and that there will be no snow to ski in in late November/early December!

So now I am torn as to what to do. Do we forget about skiing (that would be sad) and focus on sightseeing and autumn colours, or we we push our trip back a little and try and get some snow action? The latest we can stay is to the 20th of December (currently are booked from the 19th of Nov-8th Dec). Although my preference it to experience the snow, I am hesitant to rebook flights (and incur the extra cost) when there may still be no snow to be had in early December. I have also heard late November is beautiful. But I would really hate to miss the opportunity to get up a mountain and learn to ski.

So I thought I would ask those with more knowledge and experience than I... Is there decent snow to be had in early December? If so, in which areas? We want to stay in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima general areas but don't mind heading northward or wherever we need to as long as it's not going to be too far out of the way (ie Hokkaido is too far). We are planning on spending about 4-5 days at a ski resort and 10-12 days travelling and sight seeing. Obviously we could leave the ski resort till last to increase our chance of snow.

What are your thoughts? Is it worthwhile trying to ski early-Mid December? Or is it a slim chance of good snow and better to focus on sightseeing?

Kind Thanks,

Nathan

Thankyou for the responses. Your right, its probably better to focus on autumn sightseeing.

Is it possible to do daytrips to ski resorts from somewhere like Tokyo, Nikko or Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima etc? The only thing I wonder is whether toward the end of our trip (if it does snow early) or there are some reports of snow around we could always make a couple of daytrips to a nearby slope? Or would that be too hard/ not feasible.

If it's an option I might book our last few days somewhere nearby (within a few hours train ride) of a resort which is known for a long season on the off chance it does get some good early December snow. Then if it doesn't, we don't lose anything.

This a bit more of a touristy question. If I can't ski (sad face) I'd still love to experience some mountainous/scenic environment. I understand there probably will be some snowfall around even if it isn't yet sufficient for skiing. Any tips on placed to spend a few nights that our mountainous/snowy/nice osen etc?

Thanks for the help,

Nathan

Hi there

The part of Niigata that I live in is best for a day trip from Tokyo.

Just 80 mins or so on the Joetsu Shinkansen.

Late November.... dodgy... but Kagura usually tries to open around then. Obviously depends on how the weather co-operates.

Check the Yuzawa Now and Naeba Now reports for how the last 10+ seasons went:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now.php

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/naeba-now.php

Hi there

The part of Niigata that I live in is best for a day trip from Tokyo.

Just 80 mins or so on the Joetsu Shinkansen.

Late November.... dodgy... but Kagura usually tries to open around then. Obviously depends on how the weather co-operates.

Check the Yuzawa Now and Naeba Now reports for how the last 10+ seasons went:

http://www.snowjapan.../yuzawa-now.php

http://www.snowjapan...y/naeba-now.php

Thankyou for that I'll definitely have a look :friend:

A question: I get the impression you are a complete beginner; is that correct?

Asking because that could make a big difference in the advice you get.

Yes.. Never been skiing before. I am however the sporty type and can skateboard reasonably well so I imagine I should be able to pick it up pretty well some practice. At least I hope so!

Well, there are some places with artificial snow that will be guaranteed to be open by then. Mostly beginner slopes, but if you are just learning to ski, that should be fine.

Look into Snowtown Yeti, Karuizawa Prince Hotel, Marunuma Kogen, for example. For that matter, Sayama (semi-)indoor ski area in Saitama. The first three for scenery (you'd be skiing at the base of Mt. Fuji at Yeti), the last one for ease of access from Tokyo.

I wouldn't recommend Kagura to a beginner skier, it just isn't the place.

The good news is that November is often a wonderful month. Stick to the earlier part of your timeline and make the most of the lovely autumn, is my advice.

:)

Anything before Christmas on Honshu is just a welcome bonus, I reckon.

Having said that, no doubt many of us will forget that come October...... ;)

Its about time those leaves started changing bloody color and kirin started churning out the aki aji if you ask me! :angry:

Im not kidding. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but my wife and I are in a similar situation. We'll be in Japan in the first week of December and I wanted to do some skiing then too. We are willing to travel to get there (even up to Hokkiado if need be). I can ski blue runs but the wife is still green :). is it worth while to investigate further? Or shoukd I think about trying during Hanami (cherry blossom) season? :)

ta

Binglee,

The advice you recieve will be the same as above.

The chance of a ski resort being open and running on decent snow cover in the first week of December is slim.

You certainly wouldn't want to bank on it.

Thankfully, the accomodation and flights won't be all booked out so you can race off there on a whim if you are lucky enough to strike a big snowfall. However the chance of lifts running...???

I have done the combo of ski and cherry blossoms.

It was most excellent.

Hakuba first - at the end of March. It was spring conditions, but quite acceptable for an Aussie, used to Aussie conditions.

Then down the Tokyo for Hanami before flying home.

I would plan on th 2nd option if I were you.