Anyone else noticed how almost all Japanese people back in to a parking space?

Even if it makes more sense to just drive into it, circumstance 'n all.

Not sure what the advantages of doing that without fail are, but I suppose it must be something that is taught....

Check it out next time, sometimes without exception everyone is backed in.

Off a road, in a multistorey, or in any other busy car park, it makes sense because it means you don't have to reverse to get out. Its going to be safer.

The funny one is that folks do it religiously in typical unbusy and spacious inaka car parks where it makes no difference at all.

But you still have to reverse to get in if you back in, don't you.

I know a few people who are worse at doing that than reversing out into a bigger space when leaving.

I don't see any real big difference only in really extreme cases.

Its much easier to see into a single space before you reverse into it than to see who or what is coming both ways when you reverse out, often with cars on both sides blocking the view. That's why I said its safer. If you mess up reversing in, you'll just dent someone's car. That's better than hitting somebody walking past.

I'm a really good driver, I can do both. ;)

But yes I have noticed this too, I'm always the odd one out in a parking area.

What you expect from a gaijin, no doubt!

What I've found is that they basically just do whatever the other cars are doing. So if the first person in backs in most others will do the same. If the first goes in front first then most others will do the same. Of course then you get some crazy indiviidualists who buck the system and confusion reigns as others can't then decide whether they should back in or go front first! :lol:

Huh....are you guys all high?? Turning radius folks!! Haven't you ever driven a forklift? You learned how to parallel park right? Going backwards gives you almost twice the turning radius (in degrees) as going forward per meter traveled. That's why driving a car at high speed backward would be a scary thing....if they ever could be driven fast in reverse...(more movie bullshit). Same reason a forklift can go faster and safer in reverse than forward.

Driving a LandCruiser (horrible turning radius) I MUST park backwards in most parking lots.

Now, I know this is going to be a shock for you dudes so get in your rides....go down to the local DIY parking lot and start doing some donuts..... :wave:

Edit...conversely, it's easier to get out should you get boxed in because the front of the car has a larger turning radius... the J-folk have it right.

Huh....are you guys all high?? Turning radius folks!! Haven't you ever driven a forklift? You learned how to parallel park right? Going backwards gives you almost twice the turning radius as going forward per meter traveled. That's why driving a car at high speed backward would be a scary thing....if they ever could be driven fast in reverse...(more movie bullshit). Same reason a forklift can go faster and safer in reverse than forward.

Driving a LandCruiser (horrible turning radius) I MUST park backwards in most parking lots.

Now, I know this is going to be a shock for you dudes so get in your rides....go down to the local DIY parking lot and start doing some donuts..... :wave:

File under: You know when you've been in Japan too long

:lol:

I used to drive a forklift in my teens and reverse E-brake 180 skids (like in the movies) in my Hi perf VW back in the 80's. They work on the same premise.

That sounds like fun.

Hardly mainstream activity though hey, Chriselle?

No..and it's not the best for your car if it's not built for it. I used to race my VW and we would mess around at the staging area....bleach burnouts, candy canes, brake stands and reverse 180's. Good times building them....better breaking them. Goofing around like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=X5Ao0_3b950&feature=endscreen

I used to drive a forklift in my teens and reverse E-brake 180 skids (like in the movies) in my Hi perf VW back in the 80's. They work on the same premise.

You're making this up! There is no way you remember things that happened that long ago :sj-lol:

Haha....the forklift at Albion Fisheries IS more like a foggy bad dream. But the car stuff was fun.....seems like yesterday actually.

Here's my old 69 Type III.

Chris69VW.jpg

Chris69VW_0001.jpg

Huh....are you guys all high?? Turning radius folks!! Haven't you ever driven a forklift? You learned how to parallel park right? Going backwards gives you almost twice the turning radius (in degrees) as going forward per meter traveled. That's why driving a car at high speed backward would be a scary thing....if they ever could be driven fast in reverse...(more movie bullshit). Same reason a forklift can go faster and safer in reverse than forward.

Edit...conversely, it's easier to get out should you get boxed in because the front of the car has a larger turning radius... the J-folk have it right.

Much more eloquently said than I could...however exactly the same premise as I was thinking as I read through the thread! Having a long wheel base wide people mover I also feel the need to back in to spaces most often - many times I have such little room on each side clearance I need to ask passengers to get out before I park.

Well I normally reverse my car in because it makes it easier to get out after. My delica is very wde and very long and with very very black back and side windows makes it a bitch to reverse especially in the dark, although it has a camera that displays where I am reversing on the Tv screen never the less going forward is easier with most of the carparks not big car friendly.

Are R2 being a K I park either way depends on my mood.