Which is more difficult - skiing or snowboarding?

But then snowboarding sure does look a hell of a lot more graceful!

I have had one instructor over the years who taught me to be graceful on a board and I will be eternally thankful.

Her name is Yuki, she worked at NAC for at least 3 years that I know of, and was someone whom I absolutely adored.

She explained to me that the rise and fall of weight transfer needed to be beautiful and graceful like a dancer, rhythmic.

Whenever my form goes to shite I go back to that. Couple of times recently on some decent steep pitches that were a bit hard packed I was fighting the turns, and I just took a deep breath, remembered the lessons from Yuki and focused on the rhythmic rise and fall.

Some people have lasting impact on your life don't they?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a difficult one.   With snowboarders general brain size being considerably smaller, even though the actual action of snowboarding is easier, perhaps relatively for them it's about the same leve

I reckon you can ski from day one but not snowboarding. For example, a 3 yo can go on a ski but not a snowboard. Ski is just a extention of your feet. I mean its longer shoes with slippery soles yo

Re something Kansaiash mentioned in another topic: how many of our snowboard crew had experience as skateboarders before trying any snow sports? I'd think that would make the learning curve for boarding much faster and (very understandably) leave them with little incentive to try skis.

Re something Kansaiash mentioned in another topic: how many of our snowboard crew had experience as skateboarders before trying any snow sports? I'd think that would make the learning curve for boarding much faster and (very understandably) leave them with little incentive to try skis.

You can count me OUT of that number DiGriz!

While my brothers surf and ride skateboards I was never that keen - I did roller skate...

snowboarding was my first experience on a board of any kind. I tried that before skiing for 2 reasons......1) My brother was already into it and 2) It looked much cooler than skiing

I had ski experience before. So I knew snow, and had an idea how the board would work.

Longboard Skate is something I picked up in the last few years, because my Mrs.´ have one. I tried a short one after I got used to that. I Just fall off... It´s difficult. I have great respect for those who can ride them and reckon it would be much easier for skateboarders to snowboard.

I also think that surfers makes good snowboarder/ skier. I have a surfer friend who picked up skis. He was skiing paralell after a week, in style ! - Surprised me, that took me years ...

Well I started off skiing and was doing that for 6+ seasons before I had a go on a snowboard, which I picked up quite quickly.

No doubt in large part due to my skiing.

Me and the gf went to Hakuba last year and she tried snowboarding for the first time. She had done skiing as a kid. I tried to teach her but after 2 days she said boarding is to hard and gave up and went back to skii's. Either I am a bad teacher or her ability to learn isn't very high. Either way trying to learn something new as you get older gets much more difficult than say when you are young. Atleast when you are young you are more daring and not as afraid to fall over and hurt yourself. As you get older your mind tells you no no no stop

Me and the gf went to Hakuba last year and she tried snowboarding for the first time. She had done skiing as a kid. I tried to teach her but after 2 days she said boarding is to hard and gave up and went back to skii's. Either I am a bad teacher or her ability to learn isn't very high. Either way trying to learn something new as you get older gets much more difficult than say when you are young. Atleast when you are young you are more daring and not as afraid to fall over and hurt yourself. As you get older your mind tells you no no no stop
Only if you let it.

I learned to snowboard at 37.

When you cannot fall over .. you are done. Gone old.

I learnt snowboarding at 48

I knew how to fall, but I wished someone wuld teach me how to fall on snowboards. Bit different ...

And had I known how much / hard I would fall, I would have gotten helmet, pads, wrist guards

You just have more gnarl than these young punks MB ;)
Amen to that!

And as long as I have my Gnarly Wine no one is gonna get hurt ;)

gnarlywine.jpg

:lol:

Does it taste good?

3 year olds on skis - that's only because they don't have the muscle development to board until near 7.

Hardest thing about learning boarding is riding the Tbars, isin'it Mama.

5 days of boarding lessons may get you into the terrain park (it seems to in Aus) - I don't think that wouldn't happen on skis.

My grandson (11) was landing airs in the kids park on day 2 when he learnt.

And as above, get some impact shorts, a fractured tailbone is a very painful & debilitating injury for a long time.

First time I went to the snow I tried skiing, and just couldnt seem to get the hang of it, but at the same time the boots didnt fit well and I was very nervous about destroying a groin that had been injured in the past. We were only there for the day, but I put that down as a fail.

second time I went a few year later, I tried snowboarding and seemed to pick the basics up quite readily.

I had spent a lot of time as a kid on a skateboard (but never on roller/iceskates), so perhaps that helped in the un-natural sliding sideways

I would therfore say that FOR ME, without confidence in either art translating to the other, then snowboarding as a complete beginner, was easier.

but I suspect each person is different in terms of background, confidence, quality of instructor, equipment and snow vs ice, etc etc.

I'm planning to give skiing a shot in the future, and I'm hoping that I pick up the basics quite readily, but I will have had a lot of prior snow-sliding experience, so my confidence levels will be higher, and my fear of falling lower

I could lend you a pair Gareth

You should pick it up in no time on these beauties

0757fk5_20.jpeg

Ah I remember skis like that.

Going back a bit aren't we?!