Just looking at the now reports for lift openings... looks like a LOT of those places are tentatively shutting doors after the 6th...

So i figured id make a thread where we can keep abreast of late season openings. Ill try and keep it updated and organised. Obviously a little bit early to do this, but i figured id get on top of it now while the idea is in my head.

Likely the Chubu is probably going to be a bit emptier than the other two, but nimoooooodo. Ill add in the prefecture in parenthesis, the three areas general are just for convenience rather than some perfect system. Obviously im not trapsing around hokkaido or tohoku to know this, so its kinda reliant on people telling me :)

Obviously, everything is prospective at the moment...

Hokkaido:

Tohoku:

Gassan (Yamamagata): Open to JULY... O_o???

Chubu:

Kagura (Niigata): Prospective: May 27th

Okutadami Maruyama (Niigata): May 13th

Shiga Kogen - Yokoteyama (Nagano): Late May

Myoko Seki Onsen (Nagano): Late May

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By prefecture is probably a clearer way to split it up. I doubt there will be many anyway.

The only place in this region will be Kagura, who plan until 27th May.

Nozawa say 6th, but I reckon there's a chance they might extend that.

I think Okutadami Maruyama to the north of here, in Niigata-ken, plans to be open until May 13th.

They aren't that clear about it, even on their own website the silly billies.

* Presume you mean ski lifts moving and not the gnarly naked hiking that goes on regardless of these modern conveniences. ;)

At Shiga Kogen

Kumanoyu:

Some lifts open beyond 6th May (after that date the Shiga Kogen ticket not valid)

Yokoteyama:

Plans to be open until late May. Beyond 6th May, the joint Shiga Kogen ticket not valid.

updated OP step 1. Did think about by prefecture, but it might mean i have to figure out what prefectures are north of tokyo and i dont want that kind of pressure! (also, as you mentioned, there probably wont be that many anyway, so itll just be a list of empty prefectures taking up more space than the actual resorts. :)

How longs Karuizawa and Yeti going on for, by the way?

I'm done for the season. I had an awesome late powder day up at Kagura the other week when I met up with Sand, and if I go from now its not gonna be anything like that and I'm just gonna get sad and depressed at how the snow is wet/cementy/sugary/shit and gradually becoming discoloured by the underlying mud. I don't wanna feel that way so the board's are in the bag until next winter

Yeah, it's good to go out on a high. My last day was a great day at Goryu/47 a few weeks ago, so I'm tempted to leave it at that but I'm also tempted by the novelty of Gassan

You doing that Mick?

See above! :D

I was thinking I might get to Nozawa before the end but it's not looking like I will. Part busy, part not willing to put in the effort however much I know I'd have fun if I actually did it.

I'm open to the idea of Gassan though.

for a small moment there, i entertained the thought of getting on a budget plane to sapporo tonight and spending the weekend in niseko... and then i saw that it was 26k each way :(

Goddammit japan... empty planes and 500 bucks to go from tokyo to sapporo.

Hmm, i could do it on hyperdia for 19,000yen and arrive at 7am... (though theres a 3 hour layover in Oshamambe)... (mad) decisions...decisions.

2012/04/02 2011-2012シーズンスキー営業終了のお知らせ

2012年4月1日(日)の営業をもちまして、今シーズンのスキー営業を

終了させていただきました。ご来場いただきまして誠にありがとうございました。

来シーズンの営業は2012年11月上旬を現在予定しております。

Looks like it closed 1st April!

:doh:

haha, i literally decided to just check their site... realised it was shut (took me about twenty seconds), then came back and deleted my post only to realise youd beaten me to the punch, so had to say thanks anyway for looking :) Cheers... looks like if im going anywhere this weekend its ikenotaira and akakan...

It's strange.

As much as I love the idea of getting out and sliding down some snow in May, it just never seems to happen when it gets here and temps are hitting late 20's and I'm sweating. You'd think it would make me gasping for it, but it has the opposite effect.

:confused: