The music/movie industry and downloads

An interesting topic for sure and I took up SJ-David's suggestion to continue that line of discussion in

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/21436-long-video-feb-18-to-the-20th/

Black Mountain - interested to read what you wrote about you used to working for a record company. What did you do there? What was their way of going about the downloading issue etc?

Personally I have never downloaded any music (legally or otherwise), I still love CDs. I hope they don't die out soon.

I have a typical hypocritical viewpoint on this......I wanna get for free, but if it was mines then I'm sure I'd want to get as much money as possible for it.......I have no problem admitting that. But since I don't have any musical bones in my body, I'm happy with the consumption of as much free shit as possible.

I notice though that a good few torrent sites are starting to feel the heat from the US Government, BTJunkie has closed down voluntarily before they got pushed (prosecuted). MyP2P and 1st Row Sports (which were streaming sites) have been closed down by the self-proclaimed World Police........where's an honest online thief to watch his football and download his music these days?! :wakaranai:

I still buy CDs. I have only downloaded a few albums and they were ones that were not available on CD.

And they were 320mpbs or whatever it is so of a high quality.

Personally hope CDs don't die off.

I hope cds do die off cause they all end up scratched and unplayable. There needs to be a better way of having a physical product with music on it that does not become unplayable so easily.

If you cant hold it in your hands it does not have the same effect on you I think. I remember laying on my bed as a teen, my latest album playing, holding the cover in my hands and reading every last word that was printed on the sleeve. The romance is lost with downloads.

I believe in the EFF position, which is basically that there has been a big attack on fair use and the so-called "creative commons".

One of the biggest copyright holders, Disney, started by copying Buster Keaton for Mickey Mouse and using copyright-expired material like Hans Christian Anderson and the Brothers Grimm. Now they are basically trying to stop other people doing what they did themselves.

fwiw, the copyright in Japan on Disney films like Cinderella and Peter Pan has expired. The 300 yen DVDs you may find in the 100 yen shop are 100% legal. Its one example of copyright not extending into infinity. Its a political choice.

I noticed some of them... interesting that Mr Wiggles.

Though they seem more normal prices on amazon just looking now.

How much longer do we have to wait for Sir Cliff's CDs to be much cheaper ;)

• SnowJapan Admin

gozaimaas

You can keep posting here, but please drop the full-on attitude.

I'm sure there are places online that welcome it - but we don't.

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

'Attacked'?!

Come on, now.....

People can disagree and and have a bit of fun and stuff, but like I said the full on attitude way of doing things just isn't for here.

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

Your response to the previous posts - which I deleted - and in a few other topics, was way over the top and really not in the spirit of things.

I see the not well-meaning sarcasm again there in your above post - I can't see why you feel that necessary.

Nobody is asking you to stop posting what you think.

I am asking you to drop the aggressive attitude.

If you don't like that and want to insist on continuing like that, better to go somewhere else.

----

After that fun interlude, back on topic perhaps

when-you-pirate-music-you-hurt-the-artist.jpg

While I know this doesn't pertain to lesser known groups, I hated it back when Metallica was being bitchy about pirated music. Maybe if everything after the Black Album didn't suck then people wouldn't download it first to see how shitty it was. Also, if hip-hop/rap artists are always talking about being criminals, then it should be OK to download their music, right?

I think the movie industry is the same way....don't make a crap movie if you want me to buy it. I wouldn't pay for a shitty haircut, why should I pay for a crap movie? lol....then again I don't get bad haircuts, haha.

IMO, I think you shouldn't have to pay for bad products. Or, at least be able to return it if you do pay for it, saying 'this is garbage'. There are certain bands/artists I support, and would buy their music and support their band. Pretty much the same with movies.

That aside, did anyone see that 'SOPA' act that the good 'ol US of A was trying to pass? It would have been the death of the internet. They are still trying to come up with something, hopefully it gets shot down. I don't see the point in wasting millions/billions of dollars in the fight against online piracy. Does not compute.

*this post is copyright protected....if you quote me I'll see you in court!* :p

My approach to this is much as it is to gaming.

Release a demo, let me play it, if I like it, then I will buy it, if it is released at the right price.

One thing I don't understand is that even with digital distribution, the price of music still is quite high. In fact, physical copies can still be cheaper than their digital counterparts.

Yeah that's a reasonable approach, I suppose I am the same.

Wonder how much work is involved in creating a "demo" of games? he askes having absolutely no idea if it's easy or a bit project.

I think with the digital prices in some cases they are just taking advantage right now (like with that Vita Fifa). Hopefully the market will bring that down to something like sensible levels.

An interesting topic for sure and I took up SJ-David's suggestion to continue that line of discussion in

http://www.snowjapan...18-to-the-20th/

Black Mountain - interested to read what you wrote about you used to working for a record company. What did you do there? What was their way of going about the downloading issue etc?

Personally I have never downloaded any music (legally or otherwise), I still love CDs. I hope they don't die out soon.

Wow, I go for a little surf and things have progressed quite a bit here. As for the record label, a friend and I founded it back in 2002. The arguments I was making earlier were more specifically with Youtube agreements and copyright infringement on their site. Fair use and creative commons agreements (as Wiggles pointed out) are not really understood by most people on either side of the argument. Copyright lawsuits are determined on a case by case basis in the courts (unless there is obvious infringement like pirating dvds/cds). The biggest problem with the fair use defense is that its what is known as an 'affirmative defense' which means the onus is on the defendant to prove rather than the plaintiff. So giant multi-million dollar music corporations threatening to sue you is a really big deal because they can ruin you even if you are in the right. (btw, Youtube is being sued for $1 billion by Viacom and it has been going on for years)

For your other question 69, the way we handled the downloading issue was to allow for a kind of internet radio player to stream some songs from each album (we also used to use stuff like myspace when it was still relevant). It didn't allow for downloading but gave people the chance to hear the music and then decide to buy it later. A lot of the releases we made were actually limited vinyl releases for people who loved records so we were a bit removed from the whole digital thing anyway.

As for free downloads... I have to say its something that I don't agree with and very different from the issues I was talking about anyway. Pirating does hurt some artists, but only indirectly and not usually in a significant way for most of them. Very few artists retain the copyright to their music once they sign a contract (and this applies to music that hasn't even been written in most cases).

I wouldn't pay for a shitty haircut

I wonder. Do many people not pay for a haircut, on the grounds that it is rubbish? And is that legal?!

I certainly don't pay for my haircuts :lol:

can you imagine someone saying that to the stylist.....eh...sorry, I'm not paying for this cruddy piece f shit...I'm outta here!!

haha

:lol:

I love collecting CDs.

No physical product isn't as much 'fun' for me.

That said, I expect a CD now to not just be a bare bones product - thought into the packaging and adding stuff that can't be 'downloaded' is a good thing.

I'm fussy about the quality of recordings as well and the quality of some downloads until recently - paid ones included - have been just awful.

CD's now are also generally very cheap. I don't begrudge $10 or whatever for an album that I will hopefully get a lot of enjoyment from.

Not that I should really have the choice to - it's someone's work that has a price just like anything else.

Lots of new albums now come out in spiffy packaging and extra dvd's and stuff.

Can't say that many of them I have have been more than one-time looks/watches.

Just give me the music. (I'll pay for it).

Tell you what I miss - big music shops where you can go in and look through.

Back home HMV used to be 90% music. Now it's almost the other way round with DVDs, games and 'equipment' taking up all the space. Music is just a small corner and mostly just over-priced CDs, apart from the 2 for 10 quid section.

Seems messed up.

I remember going to record shops and looking through the LPs and 12". Used to love it. Sadly that has all pretty much disappeared now, apart from a few exceptions.

Still a few old-style record shops in Liverpool, but it's just fringe stuff for the most part.