I'm planning to visit Tokyo in mid March, for a business trip. but thinking of arriving a week earlier to travel. which is better during that time of month?

Nagano has some nice snow monkeys, and I remember my friend doing some snow boarding there too!

Hokkaido I never been before, thinking maybe visiting Sapporo and some Ainu villages in Nibutani and obviously do some snow boarding there too. is Hokkaido better for late winter or in summer? also any recommendations on cheap hotels (must come with own bath, non smoking, free internet). i'm thinking of the super hotel or toyoko inn chains

Hi there :wave:

I don't know about Hokkaido, but Niigata/Nagano late March is definitely getting into spring territory.

The peak might be over, but there can be some great conditions and certainly lots of snow let on the higher resorts still open.

All depends on what nature brings us in terms of weather of course.

I'd check some of the report archives from that time of year in some popular places:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nowcalendar.php

If you want the Snow Monkeys, they are in Yamanouchi town, close to Shiga Kogen in Nagano:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/19883-the-snow-monkeys-at-jigokudani-near-shiga-kogen-nagano-early-february-2011/

yeah it can be hit or miss. If you are just wanting to have fun on snow and have a few turns then you'll def be able to have that but whether its killer conditions or not is down to the whims of mother nature. As Azuki said, last spring had great conditions ,I had one of my best days of the season after deciding to beat the post-quake blues and get out on the slopes. But nothing can be guaranteed

Something thats probably worth remembering is that you will essentially lose a full day's travel going to Hokkaido (Niseko etc) where as you can be skiing by about lunch time in the Nagano area. With only a week, maybe 2-3 days skiing and 2-3 days sightseeing if you haven't already been to Kyoto, Tokyo etc. If so grab a 7 day JR rail pass IN your home country. If it was me try and reschedule the meeting for as early as possible :)

Something thats probably worth remembering is that you will essentially lose a full day's travel going to Hokkaido (Niseko etc) where as you can be skiing by about lunch time in the Nagano area. With only a week, maybe 2-3 days skiing and 2-3 days sightseeing if you haven't already been to Kyoto, Tokyo etc. If so grab a 7 day JR rail pass IN your home country. If it was me try and reschedule the meeting for as early as possible :)

if only I could reschedule the meeting, but it's 3-4 days back to back at the end of the week. so yeah, I think going to Hokkaido might be a waste of time unless I come a week earlier (and take school and work off lol)

Door to door from Tokyo to, say, Niseko, would take about 6 hours if everything is on time and working.

Tokyo Station - Haneda - 35 mins.

Haneda waiting - 1hour

Haneda - Shin Chitose - 90mins

Baggage claim - max 30 mins

Train - 2hrs30 to Kutchan / Bus - 2hrs30 mins to Niseko.

Still a fair way to travel for 2days skiiing...

Personally, Hakuba would be better choice for a short time. If you can extend it, then go to Hokkaido.

The question becomes what do you want to ski? Do you want to hike a bit and ski some nice back country or have the a better chance to have lift access powder? All of Japan has a chance to get a few big storms through all of March but Honshu will have many more high pressure days. The back country is more like the alps in places like Hakuba. But again ask yourself that important question and your can answer your own question easily.

Pete, I go to Hokkaido often, and I'm normally on the snow by noon :confused: . There's no significant time lost to travel, that's not a reason to opt against Hokkaido.

I agree.

In some ways, a lot easier flying. Depends where you live in Tokyo. I used to live in Meguro - ku so Haneda is coool.

Plenty of 2-3 day domestic ski packages to Niseko. Most Japanese workers can´t take a week off skiing ...

Hmmm, I'd say it's more

Hotel to Tokyo or Haneda =

Wait for plane/train =

Flight 90 mins vs Shinkansen 110 mins

Baggage claim...what's that?

Wait for bus =

Yes, the bus to Hakuba is faster by 60 to 90 mins, but then you have to get from the bus terminal to your lodging.

Note:

I'm NOT advocating Niseko or elsewhere in Hokkaido over Hakuba in March (I'd personally take Shiga over both for better snow conditions :winking: in March).

I'm just saying travel time shouldn't be a determining factor in making the choice.

I'd make your decision somewhat closer to the date you'll be there. Late March can be awesome, I remember a 40cm fall of powder in Niseko on the last day of March one year, and it can be pretty average, hard-packed Spring conditions. Hokkaido will stay colder for longer than Honshu but if it's Spring conditions up North it's hardly worth the trip up. Check conditions and the forecast closer to your dates and make a decision then. It's not like anything will be booked out at that time.

• 1 month later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

Finnishcookie, I just tried sending you a mail to the address registered for the Forums but it bounced back saying "account expired".

Please update your settings with a valid email address.

Thanks.