hopefully all the hard work today will keep the body in shape, but I have my doubts!

My respect to all those who are "old" and continue to show up the younger generations.

Snowjunky, you are right, body is one thing, but the finances?

When I worked for a heli-ski company in Canada we had an 88 year old on a trip and he got caught in an avalanche and was buried around 6 feet under. Took awhile to dig him out but he managed to survive relatively unscathed and was back up in the heli 2 days later!!

We were crossing an open slope on the way to the heli pick up point when it gave way about 50m above us (about 7 people had already gone before us). There was one guy in front of me and the old bloke behind me. We all got taken down the slope a bit but the guy in front and myself managed to stay upright, keep our heads above the snow and skis on our feet. The guy in front extricated himself pretty easily and then helped me out. We looked for the old guy and could only see a ski sticking up out of the snow. We got the transceivers out and started narrowing in on him whilst screaming out for the mountain guide who was a bringing up the rear of the group. The guide turned up moments later and within 5 minutes we'd located where to dig. What had happed was the old boy was taken all the way down the slope to a creek. Most of the creek was covered in snow but there were a few hollows where flowing water could be seen. The old guy had been taken into one of these hollows and by sheer luck went in feet first. He was up to his waist in flowing water and would have died if he had gone in head first. He had managed to clear a little breathing space for himself but said as we were digging it kept compacting more and more around his face. We obviously dug furiously and and initially revealed one of his hands which squeezed ours when we grabbed it, much to our relief! Anyway when we finally got his head out he was sucking in some pretty big breaths. The heli pick up point wasn't far away so he was whisked off to hospital pretty quickly and was released later that day. He bought us a few beers that night in the pub, had the next day off and was up skiing again the day after. Amazing guy!