In recent news, Macearth announced a new resort, titled Mt. Kosha.

This would join together 5 existing resorts: Maki no Iri Snow Park, Kitashinshu Kijimadaira Skijo, Yamabiko no Oka Skijo, X-Jam Takaii Fuji, and Yamase Onsen Skijo.

The new resort would rank third in area, 234 hectares, only behind Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen.

The new website is not up yet, and there are only a few details gleaned from the various group resort websites.

Does this signal a new era in mega resorts?

• Like 1

Birth of a New Era!

:lol:

Way to go with the dramatic headline ;)

From what I gather it all seems a bit 'messy' at the moment. Whether it will turn into anything grand or not, will be interesting to see.

Each one of those resorts though is pretty small and unremarkable. I would take Nozawa over that combo most days.

Having said that, would be much more attractive to have all that on one ticket than individual places like now.

Are those places skiable using lifts, or is it just going to be a "lets shuttle bus" thing going on?

I know Kijimadaira and Makinoiri are joined - hasn't Makinoiri been closed for a few seasons?

Certainly seems a worthwhile thing to try. Isn't that how Zao came to be?

I can imagine a few other places that that might make sense for.

For example, I can't help but think that by merely cutting a few new trails, Alts, Inawashiro Resort and Inawashiro could be linked up into a "Mt. Bandai" mega-resort that could be skied from one end to the other. Possibly add in Family Snow Park Bandai X2 for good measure, and, with the addition of one lift, Nekoma.

Interesingly, Macearth is the company that bought up Inawashiro (and are abolishing the distinction between the Minero and Chuo sides there), so perhaps they might try negotiating something with their neighbors to do something like this at some point?

Could probably link up Hunter Mountain and Edelweiss just by cutting trails, too.

The new resort would rank third in area, 234 hectares, only behind Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen.........

......in Nagano.

Interesting for sure.

Has this actually been formalised and put into action this season?

I'd give it a go.

But..... fairly low down generally and the snow quickly dries up there if I am not mistaken.

Also is the "3rd biggest area in Nagano" really that meaningful.

From the looks, all of the places are actually pretty small so joining them up - while probably a good idea and I would be happy to try it out - still it's not THAT big an area in terms of rideable courses. Perhaps?

Very interesting.

Will go if this is the case to check it all out.

When it is possible, places really need to consider doing stuff like this, it really does increase the interest that just wouldn't be there for lots of smaller places.

I can only assume that the move has only been made recently as you'd think they'd be shouting it out? Kijimadaira aren't shouting about it that's for sure.

Kijimadaira is the only one that I have heard of and never been there.

Interesting seeing where they all are.

Which side of that mountain should theoretically get the best snow? The northern Kijimadaira part?

It seems that I never got around to posting a report on Kijimadaira...will put that on the list of things to do for next week.

While the resort was very small, and could be covered in a half day (if the top lift is not running), the addition of the other areas, making it more complete would be a welcome addition.

Just a Yamabiko no Oka/Kijimadaira/Maki no Iri resort would be decent for a day, and with X-Jam off the backside (well, it ain't no back bowls of Vail, but the orientation of the hill could make for a go if conditions on the "frontside" were not optimal) and Yomase might lend itself for a decent weekend trip.