Right, ive waxed my charlie slasher, and it looks all happy, but it needs one more thing to make it truly stoked. It needs to look like a pair of very fat skis.

Now sometime last year i heard about that dude in hakuba who does it, but i think i annoyed him by dithering on whether or not i could find the time to come to hakuba to do it. But the lure of bottomless powder is strong again. Im starting to smell it in the air, so im thinking "i should cut my charlie slasher in half and then spend an OUTRAGEOUS amount of money on a splitboard kit, some new special bindings, crampons, and skins, thatll make it feel properly like winter!".

I doubt ill ever understand the point of money as an abstract commodity. So lets not dwell on it.

Anyone know shops happy to do a split for a nice cheap price? The dude in hakuba was throwing around numbers like 60k all in (well, for the split - no inside edging - skins and the voile kit). Which is kinda fair, but im not one for happily handing over the price of a new snowboard to basically snap the one i have in half and make it semi usable.

Note to self: DO TRY AND REMEMBER YOU CRETIN, THAT SNOW SHOES ARE NOT ONLY MASSIVELY UNWIELDY BUT ALSO VERY EXPENSIVE. SO FACTOR THAT INTO YOUR MOANING ABOUT COSTS YOU THICK PLANK!!!

Hmmm, weird, i just woke up to all that shouting. :?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ippy, what you need is....... Some skis.

get a snowboard, cut it vertically from the tip to the tail down the center of the board. Attach some small hooks and thingymabobs (the voile splitboard kit), and finally buy a nice pair of climbing skins, et voila! a splitboard. You can then add in special bindings like the karakorom s30s (if you are the kind of person that would spend $800 on a set of bindings) and some crampons for those difficult to grind mountain hikes. Oh, and the poles too, dont forget the poles.

...must remember... its only... money... ... only... money...

I'll definitely buy skis! but only if i can fit them together at the end of the hike and turn them into a snowboard. Actually, why hasnt this been done yet? Were it only that i was an engineer and not an arts grad. I guess mine is but to dream the dreams.

And since monoski is a nightmare, i wont be dreaming that :)

People have done it with hand saws.

Buy a cheap electric saw and do it. You have been on Splitboard,com where there are heaps of DIY info and recommendations and you know people have split the Charlie.

sand, that Xavier´s vid is cool. Makes it look easy and fun !

yupyup, i daresay i could achieve much the same effect :p

Lets just say im not the manliest of manly men out there. Shop class (wood/metalwork) wasnt exactly my best subject. I think ill leave it to the professionals :)

Aint got nothing to do with wood or metal work.

You just chop it and screw it . ;)

You are fussing and being a wuss.

As a matter of fact, if it does end up with a wavy cut, the two sides will stay together better (less slipping forward and back) when boarding. .. haha

Not. Going. To. Happen. In. This. Lifetime.

:)

Id rather be a wuss with a beautifully intact charlie slasher, than an idiot forking out for another deck. That being said, once i wreck a few boards i'll have a trade and can start charging other people hundreds of dollars to cut a board in half :) Maybe i should look at it as an investment.

People have done it with hand saws.

Buy a cheap electric saw and do it. You have been on Splitboard,com where there are heaps of DIY info and recommendations and you know people have split the Charlie.

sand, that Xavier´s vid is cool. Makes it look easy and fun !

It does make it look easy, will do this one day to my F2 board from 1994, which is stashed at my folks place in NZ.

Thanks for website info will save that for later referral.

People used to send their fav boards over to a guy to get it chopped and edge inlay - Mainly because there weren´t that many splitboards out there. Those days are over imo. There are good factory made splits out there you can choose from.

Unless you are going hardcore touring over hard /icy conditions you won´t need edges. Actually, if you are boarding powder only, you don´t need an edge! Splitting a cheap board like Charlie Slasher is a great option.

Snowboarding and buying boards aren´t investments. They are disposable tools which do not last. When you don´t have the bucks, you improvise and do what you can - or miss out all together.

• 1 year later...

Get gozzaimas to do it. :p Im sure if he has access to the tools and a spare however long it takes he might make the cut for you. To get someone else to make the cut will cost you. Then theres the following:

1. Voile DIY split kit.

2. Skins

3. Bindings.

4. Poles.

5. Backpack.

6. Beacon.

7. Shovel.

8. Probe.

9. Friends who are all up for a hike with all that stuff :)

Bare minimum. :p

It runs way past $1000 for a d.i.y. job. Youd actually end up cheaper just waiting for a cheap mojo or something to pop up in the off season. Unless of course you arent a massive wuss like me and wouldnt DARE slice into your board. Its apparently not THAT hard, its just that i couldnt even make a spice rack in woodwork so theres no way in hell im dicking around with fibreglass meshes, metal railings and sealing my core. Ill leave it to the pros. Or rather, ill leave it to the manufacturers and just buy a splitboard.

If i could go back in time id probably not buy the slasher and just buy a splitboard for my powder board. But alas time is annoyingly one direction so id end up with a redundant slasher since why bother when you have a powder board that does what the slasher does, but also gives you more versatility on places to hike up?

Gaaaaaah! And the diy (professional) split job ends up costing as much as just buying another deck or a pair of snowshoes WITHOUT the kit, the skins, the poles and the bindings. Jesus, it makes my head spin when i honestly think about it. At times like this id really like to have been successful and have that kind of money to throw around. Itd be hella benri :)

Yeah I thought you could get Gozaimaas to do it as well.

I would just buy a hovercraft split though

I just dropped a bunch of cash on the Hovercraft 160 split, Spark R&D Burner LTs, Spark skins and the mounting kit... Hanging out to break it all in over the new year, hopefully be able to score a few good turns and forget about what it cost, haha.