Watch it?

Since March 11th I have been watching more than I had before and I seem to have got into the habit of watching the NHK 9pm news. The dude in charge is pretty good I think.

What do you watch?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the NHK 9:00 news, too. I usually watch that and å ±é“ステーション, though the latter is not as good as it used to be under announcer Kume (but getting better -- it has taken a while for the new guy to look comfortable in his new, more serious role). Occasionally follow that up with News Zero, and if I am really desperate for a fix, I'll fire up the cable and watch the Newsbird channel. (But only rarely.)

Also used to like the weekly roundup show, Broadcaster, on Saturday nights, until Beat Takeshi took over and turned it into a clown show.

Of them all, NHK is the best, I think.

On weekdays, NHK News 7, followed by Closeup Gendai. On Sunday, Bankisha. I find Fukuzawa very watchable. I used to like his lunchtime show Pin Pon - he maintained a good pace and was a bit probing at times. Its replacement is pathetic. It feels like a primary school class on a particularly bad day.

Closeup Gendai is good when the serious lady has finished her overwrought introduction and before she introduces the taihen kuwashi bore from the university. Usually the documentary segment in the middle is quite a revealing slice of Japanese life. The Shikoku-only version, Shikoku Rashinban on Friday evening, is pretty good too. They've been semarimasing on our local nuclear power station, and our local geologists reckon it ain't going to cope well with the expected ground acceleration.

Of course, all of these programs are almost completely silent on the really big issues - global warming, peak oil, the global reserve currency, imperialism etc. Those are taboo, to be tiptoed around at best.

Yes, muikabochi, it does appear so.

This brief article covers the main points.

http://japannukecrisis.wordpress.com/tag/ikata/

Shikoku Denryoku are taking creative measures to prevent what happened at Fukushima happening here, but the trouble is, the design of the reactors here is different. The reactors at Ikata have fragile cooling pipes that are more vulnerable to shaking than the ones in Fukushima. But the specs at Ikata are for a level of shaking below that of historical earthquakes in the region - according to NHK's Shikoku Rashinban. The Yonden exec who was wheeled out to repeat the line "we think it is safe" had some interesting facial tics that were strongly suggestive of internal turmoil, as of one who knows he won't be believed by anyone who hears him. He kept calling the cooling system at Ikata "natural cooling".

I liked that new programe that Crystal did, but with the lady that did it after her... she was intelliç³» cute.

Crystal always looked like she was about to burst into tears, and she is worse on that Mr Sunday program now. Doesn't fit, I reckon she just looks so moody all the time. With silly hair.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Don't worry Ocean.

If something really bad happens, you know, something that "no-one ever imagined could ever conceivably happen, ever".... at least you know that they will be very sorry.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/413449/Tepco_They_are_very_sorry.html

Yeah they might even come and visit you in your evacuation centre! Which would be nice. Might even bow on the floor in front of you.

I don't see myself sitting around in an evacuation centre frankly. I'd rather be in the bamboo grove or in the wreckage of my house. I could set the broken TV up on a lump of concrete and dream about the way things were.

Can't imagine myself in a school gym with 1000 other people.

Then again, it hasn't happened to me.

I bet people can't imagine how the News would be day in day out now back in February this year. If you told people that however many towns would be evacuated and kids walking round with geiger counters, who would have believed it?!

Originally Posted By: Ocean11

Shikoku Denryoku are taking creative measures to prevent what happened at Fukushima happening here, but the trouble is, the design of the reactors here is different. The reactors at Ikata have fragile cooling pipes that are more vulnerable to shaking than the ones in Fukushima. But the specs at Ikata are for a level of shaking below that of historical earthquakes in the region - according to NHK's Shikoku Rashinban. The Yonden exec who was wheeled out to repeat the line "we think it is safe" had some interesting facial tics that were strongly suggestive of internal turmoil, as of one who knows he won't be believed by anyone who hears him. He kept calling the cooling system at Ikata "natural cooling".

I have some good ideas, Ocean11, that I have covered in the other thread. Including domes and minty menthol gels. I'm not sure how they would apapt to your situation but as Tubby Beaver pointed out, the gel solution is one that needs to be taken before the bad things happen and so may be appropriate here.
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Crystal always looked like she was about to burst into tears, and she is worse on that Mr Sunday program now.

That Mr Sunday program is bad. I only caught part of an episode a couple of weeks ago, but they were doing some breathless dramatization of the terrifying prospect of ... summer blackouts. What would it be like? How would you react?

Even the anchors looked like they felt like idiots having to read that script.

Crystal looked cuter when she did that news program.

Not digging the current look at all and she does somehow seem uncomfortable on Mr Sunday.

And yes it is generally a poor program.

Bankisha is fairly decent.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I often watch the 9o clock as well and yes Fukuzawa.

Ah, that guy. He's on the Pressure Study quiz show, my favorite non-news TV show.

Quote:
Not keen on the guy doing å ±é“Station.

He used to be a great sports announcer, fast-paced and clever. His announcing for Sasuke could be hilarious at times. Now he has to be all majime, and it seems to have been a hard adjustment for him. Kind of feel sorry for him. His predecessor Kume used to be rather smirky and cynical, which is a role that Furutachi could have fit into better, but I guess he didn't want to just seem like a clone of Kume.

I don't know about other prefectures but the local Niigata news on all the channels is pretty bad. A mixture of local travel news ('promotions'), recipies and stories that are not really news stories. And the weather.

Makes me laugh sometimes when the local 'news' consists entirely of one report of the 'farmer grows a huge daikon that looks like something else' type, and that's it! News End!

Yep, somehow that's well sexy. She's all high class and unobtainable smile

I see she didn't go to international school though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christel_Takigawa

No mention of her being married/dating, however it seems she hates Lamb which may be a problem for us:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%BB%9D%E5%B7%9D%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%AB