Hi!

Well, it's not something that I actively go out to check - in fact quite the opposite - but in my part of the world, Niigata, I would recommend Muikamachi Hakkai-san to you. It gets lots of moguls.

When I go to Happo in Hakuba that always seems to have more moguls than I would like!

FDR at Hunter Mountain, is probably the best mogul run I have ever been on, perfectly spaced moguls.

Many resorts in Shiga Kogen also have the mandatory mogul fields, but many are short.

Kandatsu has a mogul area complete with jumps, too.

Mash away!

I did notice one run at Rusutsu and a small mougals section at Hirafu Niseko but i wouldn't say they were anything special. They are usally covered with heaps of fresh POW, fingers crossed.

I used to love moguls.....

Happo has some long mogul courses and some steep pitches.

But the best mogul course is at Hakuba Sanosaka, the moguls seem to be perfectly shaped. Many freestyle competitions are held there.

Originally Posted By: rider69
hkklivec-1.jpg
happone usagidaira where knees go to die!

Yes! lol
I have done that on a board.
It was rather poor visibility and all of a sudden whammo - mogul field.
Hilarious.
Bit of fun, but omg the leg burn! veryshocked

Moguls and bad visibility do not mix.

Actually I can´t board when I can´t see. I even have problems standing up after a while. I don´t have that on skis confused

Gnarliest? Japan means moguls. You can get them at Naeba, Nozz.. but yeah, Happo is hardcore!

Quote:
Gnarliest? Japan means moguls. You can get them at Naeba, Nozz.. but yeah, Happo is hardcore!

Have you ever actually been to Japan Jynxx?

Do tell us where you have skied/snowboarded in Japan (note the decade for each as well if you can remember):

Ah...

Mountains don´t move or change its shape in a short period of time (unless there´s a slide or something) The ski runs are not going to change drastically- You go to one 30 years ago, THAT is not going to change that much.

So any course can potentially have moguls.

But the steeper it gets, more people are going to traverse down.

If that course is narrower, the criss-cross is going to be more intense. More traffic, moguls get bigger, too.

What I am trying to explain is that

In Japan, people didn´t set out to go mogul 30 years ago. We had no choice. Often there are beginners course on top of the mountain and beginners had to traverse down some narrow steep sections (without a alternative beginners cat track, often named Rinkan Course- forested way)

In these narrow mogul sections, we see beginners at the side of the course, some stuck in the middle, and we will wait to find a straight line to go down, avoiding them. The general rule in those days was: you wait at the side to traverse, let someone coming down to go past.

We dreamed of open bowls, wide and steep, glaciers, Alps .. and thought that the way (style) we ski is molded by the course we ski.

And in the end, one realizes that it´s much more easier to take a straighter line down the moguls than to traverse them.

Not until Wayne Wong and Freestyle became popular in the late 70´s.

We swapped our 180 skis with shorter 160 and that made it so much easier. We get a feel about with what moguls, what we can do. We weren´t Pros but it´s no really about the size of the moguls is it?

It was cool, it was fun, and we put a good show.

The course needs to be steep, but not too steep. And the shape...

But now, it´s too much of a hassle. gimme Pow.