Changes in Japan ski resort openings etc due to earthquake and related issues

• SnowJapan Admin

As it seems there will be changes or closures of some resorts due to the earthquakes, I thought it might be an idea to have a thread where people can post info about places that are closed etc. Just in the interests of letting people know what the situation is out there at resorts.

Feel free to add more info you know.

Thanks

-------

Resorts on the northern island of Hokkaido (Niseko, Rusutsu, Furano etc) are largely unaffected.

It looks like the Tashiro area of Kagura and the Dragondola gondola will not be operating this coming week. Closed until at least Friday.

Nighta at Naeba and the Asagai area over there will also be closed until at least 18th March. All events for the season at Naeba have also been closed.

These changes are presumable in an effort to save electricity due to the current problems in Japan.

• SnowJapan Admin

Myoko stuff:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/myoko-now.php

Akakura Onsen:

Kumado No. 3, Ginrei No. 2 and 5, Akakura Chuo Triple, Yodel Super Quad. Maruyama Triple closed due to avalanche danger. Night skiing cancelled from 3/14 to 17. Plan to operate normally from tomorrow.

Akakan (Akakura Kanko):

All lifts operating.

Ikenotaira:

Today: Shirakaba Capsule, Ikenotaira Quad, AB No. 1 and 2 operating. Ikenotaira will close from tomorrow until the 18th because of electricity supply concerns.

Myoko Suginohara:

Gondola only, from 8:30 to 4 pm. Decision on operations will be made tomorrow (which, in real words, means they may close).

Seki Onsen:

Open.

Myoko Ski Park:

Open.

Kyukamura:

Closed from today until the 18th; announcement on Friday on further operations (or not).

Tangram:

Closed until the 16th; decision on go or no on Wednesday.

Madarao:

Open.

Both gondolas are out at Nozawa, though Higake gondola will be open at weekends. Nakasaka gondola's pylons have serious structural damage and I assume it will stay closed for the rest of the season. Today the top of Challenge pair lift (about half way up the mountain) was as high as you could get, though that still accesses the best runs on the mountain. With a dump forecast for tomorrow, Wednesday should be awesomeliously sweeeto! If, like me, you hate all other skiers and boarders, hit up Noz and you'll have the place to yourself.

I walked 15 mins up the length of Paradise quad (which will open tomorrow) and had a chat with Ski Patrol and the lifties, so this info is from the horse's mouth. Also begged them to take me up the top tomorrow on a snow mobile, and of course Japan's favorite word was used several times - dame! Something about it still being dangerous, yeah, yeah, BS. But if anyone else wants to take me, you'll be 1000 yen richer.

• SnowJapan Admin

Lots of Yuzawa will be closed for the day from today until Friday.

Electric power off this evening 5pm-8pm each day.

We will update the Yuzawa Now page a bit later on with more.

Sorry to hear about Madarao's early closure. I had a great time there last Sunday, I'd love to see it on a powder day. Do you know if "part open" will include the lift to get between Madarao and the adjacent resort (Tarado or something like that). That was all that was missing Sunday. If it is I might go again before Tuesday.

ALTS and Nekoma have closed for the rest of the season, and opened their facilities (flop house and baths) for refugees.

Adatara Kogen has also closed for the season.

Gran Deco has closed until further notice.

This is the collapsed ceiling of the Nagasaka gondola restaurant in Nozawa Onsen. This part of the resort is currently closed but only requires an easy 30 mins hike up snow mobile tracks to access the runs under the gondola. A further 10 mins hike gets you to Skyline.

tripler_16.JPG

Earthquake damaged Nagasaka gondola restaurant

tripler_17.JPG

Top of Nagasaka gondola after closure of Yamabiko area of the resort. Restaurant on the 1st floor.

"Niseko Village Ski Resort will close from April 5 to April 28, 2011."

From the Niseko Village website. Does anyone know what this is all about ?