The Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani (near Shiga Kogen, Nagano) - early February 2011

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here is some vid   Chillin'     Monkey fight-o!  

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see them yesterday they were so cool. I really enjoyed it there. Your photos are astonishing muikabochi. I have some snaps but there's no point in posting them with what you have put here. I'll put a few in my Shiga Kogen report though.

Brilliant.

• 6 months later...

Wonderful animals!

I want to go one day when they are sitting there with snow on their heads.

smile

Hey SJ you know the Forums seem to be resizing to a specific width? Don't suppose it really matters with the updates coming..

• 3 months later...

You can generally see plenty og monkeys for free a bit further up the road to Shiga Kogen - mostly near where the cantivered section of road is.

You also see them around some of the lodges in Ichinose & Hasiuke. Don't leave your hotel windows open - they pinch anything

Here

http://www.snowjapan...velMode=DRIVING

By car, Route 353 > Route 117 > Route 292

---

http://www.snowjapan...oute-finder.php

Thanks! Although I didnt factor in hiring a car, as I am planning to take a train from tokyo to echigo-yuzawa and then during my stay take a day at Jigokudani.

Trains seem quite expensive option... can I hire a car for the day from Ishiuchi or Gala...?

Train from Yuzawa to Jigokudani would not be ideal. I imagine it would involve getting the train from Yuzawa to Tokamachi and then the local Iiyama line to somewhere near Yamanouchi. Not familiar with those things.

The car trip I said above takes about 100 minutes fastest add more for conditions and roads being busy.

I seriously doubt there is any kind of bus service going there from Yuzawa.

There is car hire in Yuzawa but not actually at the resorts. There's one I can think of near the old SJ World Headquarters a few minutes walk from the East exit of the station.

Oh yes and another right near the West exit of the station just coming out there.