The Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani (near Shiga Kogen, Nagano) - early February 2011

What fantastic shots, we're definately going for a visit on the way to Myoko in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have a view on getting there from Nagano on the bus vs the train? Most of the 'offical' websites recommend the train, but I've seen a few more recent forum posts saying that the bus is easier. Any advice would be most appreciated, Thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here is some vid   Chillin'     Monkey fight-o!  

What fantastic shots, we're definately going for a visit on the way to Myoko in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have a view on getting there from Nagano on the bus vs the train? Most of the 'offical' websites recommend the train, but I've seen a few more recent forum posts saying that the bus is easier. Any advice would be most appreciated, Thanks.

We went by bus from Nagano last year and it was really easy, from what I've heard much less hassle than the train & bus alternative. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo - my travel companions have seen my pictures of the snow monkeys on previous trips.

We are staying on Hokkaido this time - is there any where they can see snow monkeys on Hokkaido?

if you have a really great pair of binoculars ;)

Only joking, but monkeys don't live on Hokkaido, they are only native to the lower islands of Japan. The nearest ones apparently live on the tip of Aomori, but I don't think they are set up like those in nagano, so it would be pure luck if you see them.