Get to a point where you have a lot of questions and then take a private lesson to progress to the next step.

I had a couple of private lessons in NZ and they where great. this time I hope to start doing jumps so I can hurl myself of the mountain side Thelma and Louise style.

Originally Posted By: shinzostar
I can't wait to go to Niseko for the first time tomorrow!! friend But I haven't snowboarded in years and I usually do the falling leaf thing. Can anyone give me last minute tips on how to go toeside without flipping over?

Private Lesson.
Private Lesson.
Private Lesson.

nothing else compares results wise.

Seen far too many mates teaching mates, or boyfriends teaching girlfriends with poor results.

If an old Mamabear can learn to ride with private lessons then anyone can - it is worth every cent.

I learnt from a friend and it didn't do me any harm.

Not everyone has that extra cash anyway after busting the bank to get there.

I'm sure people in the biz though want everyone to take lessons.

Originally Posted By: KevKastle
I learnt from a friend and it didn't do me any harm.

Not everyone has that extra cash anyway after busting the bank to get there.

I'm sure people in the biz though want everyone to take lessons.

Well there is that. It's great to have a mate to teach you, but I hate everyone and I go to Japan to get the #@!% away from Sydney-sliders.

But what I like to do is get to a point with my snowboarding then take a single private lesson to get someone to work out what I am doing right & wrong and learn a new set of things I can work on.

At this stage I will have at least one lesson I may have two. It depends on how my funds go after a raid on radio center smile

shinzostar, I´ll give you some practical tips.

You are going to fall, so get an ass protector.

Azzpadz or something. lol

Volleyball knee protectors help big time.

As for turns, it doesn`t matter which side turn, you gotta bend your knees and put weight on your front (nose side) feet when you want to turn.

Also point your shoulder to the direction you are going.

(lift your arm up and point with your hand)

You are traversing, right? you need your nose to turn to the fall line. That´s turn initiation and naturally most people will be scared so they lean on their rear (tailside) feet.

Don´t do that. You just end up going faster. (You want to go faster when you are going straight - get on your rear feet.)

When you put weight on the nose side feet (by that, I mean throw your body towards the nose) the board starts to turn.

So to me, in a way this is about controlling your fear and going against your natural instinct )for most people.

This is assuming that you can turn left and right from a straight down the hill situation. Usually, if you are a beginner, people slide their tail out. If you can do that, once your snowboard has turned into the fall line (straight down the hill, as we speak) from traversing, you know what to do.

IMO, it is important to be able to stop yourself. So practicing going straight down (faster little by little) and stopping. If that can be done, then you have control when you initiate a turn from traverse to a steeper fall- line .. you know you can stop if you can´t fully finish the turn and start going straight down. Make sense ?

Jynnx hit the nail on the head. Yeah maybe you could go for a private lesson but there's nothing like the satisfaction of teaching yourself. Keep yer dough in yer pocket for a frothy beer or 5 at the end of the day where you turned for the first time! The biggest thing is when the board starts to run straight, and it feels like you are going like a bat outta hell and you want to lean back to fall/stop, don't! Hang in there, the board will turn and you will have a massive grin all over your face! Ganbare!!! :massivefistintheairsmiley:

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Jynnx hit the nail on the head. Yeah maybe you could go for a private lesson but there's nothing like the satisfaction of teaching yourself. Keep yer dough in yer pocket for a frothy beer or 5 at the end of the day where you turned for the first time! The biggest thing is when the board starts to run straight, and it feels like you are going like a bat outta hell and you want to lean back to fall/stop, don't! Hang in there, the board will turn and you will have a massive grin all over your face! Ganbare!!! :massivefistintheairsmiley:

Good advice I say! grandpa
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

I totally agree. Commit to turns and finish them off, if you need to shake off some speed you can continue the turn and point your nose a bit up the mountain.

If you're still trying to link turns I'd recommend trying the green run at the base of Annupuri, way less traffic than the family run at Hirafu. I was in Niseko about a month ago, the Hirafu family run has heaps of kids in group lessons, and it gets a bit icy.