OK I'm getting my head to explode trying to understand some of the ETC discounts on expressway charges.

There seems to be a weekday daytime one of 30%, 6am-8pm

There also seems to be a "commuting time" one of 50%, 6am-9am

What's the deal with those two? If I start at, say 6:30am, which do I get?

And if I start at 5:30am but come out of the gates within those times, which do I get?

I'm sure the answer is very simple, but it is eluding me!

confused

Sankyu

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Think it depends on the specific road etc. Not worth thinking about really unless you are doing a really long journey.

I've kinda given up trying to sync up my travel times with the ETC discounts. From Ito I end up taking all kinds of payment roads to get anywhere. Half the time I don't even bother looking at the toll amounts as I drive through but there are times when I do and have been pleasantly surprised with a discount. I'm sure it does add up if you were diligent to knowing the ins and outs of the system. Let us know what you find Joshnii.

The commuting one of 50% is for up to a 100km section. If you were on a longer journey, you used to have to leave the highway to get it. After seeing lots of folks do U turns at toll booths, they now give you the discount automatically so you don't have to leave the highway. On a 5000 yen journey, it works out at 800 to 1000 yen off

If you have two cards you can still get the discount twice by leaving the highway midway.

Weekdays:

12am-4am 50%

4am - 24pm 30%

Plus the 100km commuter thing during the times mentioned above. If you get on the highway at say 10:30pm and get off at 12:01am you'll get the 50% discount. If you get on at 3:59am and get off at 8am you'll get the 50% discount. Weekends are 1000Y any distance except for around Tokyo and Osaka (and a few minor acceptions like the Seto-Ohashi in Shikoku, etc) Weekends start at 12:01am Saturday morning. So if you get on the highway Friday and drive until 12:01am Saturday morning you only need to pay 1000Y. There is a website that calculates the ETC charges from exit to exit but I can't remember for the life of me what it is... sorry...

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Weekdays:
12am-4am 50%
4am - 24pm 30%

Plus the 100km commuter thing during the times mentioned above. If you get on the highway at say 10:30pm and get off at 12:01am you'll get the 50% discount. If you get on at 3:59am and get off at 8am you'll get the 50% discount. Weekends are 1000Y any distance except for around Tokyo and Osaka (and a few minor acceptions like the Seto-Ohashi in Shikoku, etc) Weekends start at 12:01am Saturday morning. So if you get on the highway Friday and drive until 12:01am Saturday morning you only need to pay 1000Y. There is a website that calculates the ETC charges from exit to exit but I can't remember for the life of me what it is... sorry...

party Thanks BM...
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Should all be a lot easier to understand after April 1st, yes? 1000 yen max on weekends & holidays, 2000 yen max on weekdays.

Didn't hear about that either. It should be interesting to see how traffic volumes change.
Originally Posted By: Chriselle

Didn't hear about that either. It should be interesting to see how traffic volumes change.

One thing I noticed once they reduced the charge to 1000Y on weekends is that the volume on smaller highways and rural roads around my area was greatly reduced. That being said, I also started to notice a lot of out of town number plates down in Izu that I hadn't seen before! The traffic also seemed to get a lot worse there too!

As far as I understand, that is the plan...

See the following press release dated Dec. 24, 2010 on the å›½åœŸäº¤é€šçœ website:

http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000132478.pdf

This press release is also quoted in its entirety in another press release dated Jan. 20, 2011, so seems to still be current policy.

There seem to be some details yet to be worked out, most contentiously regarding the Honshu-Shikoku connector, and in politics I guess one should never count one's pennies until the check clears. Keep watching this space:

http://www.mlit.go.jp/road/

Or watch the evening news, which will probably go over this all thoroughly once the details have been hammered out.

(Note: I got permission from SJ to include links.)

Fingers crossed...

And hoping nobody has heard anything definitive otherwise!

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Can't see that pdf file for whatever reason.
Will there still be discounts "under" the 1000 yen and 2000 yen limits like there is now?

Not mentioned. Perhaps they will continue by default?
(Which, if so, would be good news for those already invested in studying for their badge tests.)